does anyone make a pill for novatac or hds lights?

gianetics

Enlightened
if you have ever gutted a novatac or hds to try and put a new driver in the entire pill is potted. i used a drill for hours trying to get all the gunk out. i ended up warping the thing on the vice. does anyone sell the pill by itself?

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
N
if you have ever gutted a novatac or hds to try and put a new driver in the entire pill is potted. i used a drill for hours trying to get all the gunk out. i ended up warping the thing on the vice. does anyone sell the pill by itself?

Sorry to ask this. But why would you want to?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I don't have a answer. I know of none. Some folks just do a led swap. Leaving original driver.

FWIW: I do have a general comment. But it may be too late for your project? Before drilling, I normally try using heat to soften/breakdown or melt epoxies/hard glues. I have also used red hot dental picks (or a nail in some vice grips) to remove junk like this. I heat them up red hot with a small butane torch, then slowly start poking around. This works really well with stuff like Norland and 5 min epoxies. It will make a mess & stinks sometimes, but I have had good success.

You have to be careful with the butane torch heating the light directly. The heat will change the ano colors.

Basically, most adhesives aren't too fond of high temperatures.

Good luck.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I've gotta agree with Str8stroke. I think you went about this the wrong way. Most potting materials can be removed without damaging the underlying hardware. Its not always easy, but it can be done. I think you've gotten a bit too aggressive with your light and may have made a costly mess.

I think your best bet is going to be to contact Henry and see if he'll just sell you the parts you need. I'm not sure if he does that or not, but I can't imagine there's any third party sources for parts for his lights.

As an aside, care to share some pics of that "pill"? I really would expect the HDS lights to have a shelf in them, not a pill, so I'm curious about what you've found.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
N

Sorry to ask this. But why would you want to?

If you've seen a Novatac pill you'll kmow that you have to craft a circular MCPB to get it to fit in the narrow slot. Updating the led on a Novatac is a great idea, on an HDS, it's a do it if you can, because it's fun.
P

gianetics

Enlightened
it was a Chinese made novatac so im not too bummed about it. the novatac/hds host is already built for a electronic switch. i have a guy over at BLF using a S2+ host trying to build me a light with this driver : http://drjones.nerdcamp.net/#mokka
He has already had to machine custom parts to get it done. i figure a HDS/novatac host would be easier to use if you can get the 3 ring contact board at the bottom of the head off without damaging it.