Water storage

Borad

Enlightened
I decided to buy a 15 gallon plastic barrel for emergency water. The flat sided containers fit into places better but the barrels have less surface area in contact with the water and even BPA-free plastic tends to have the same type of harmful chemicals as regular plastic. Also, the 15 gallon ones are industry standard shipping barrels and meet some extra standards compared to containers like the Aqua-Tainer (which has leakage and quality issues according to reviews).

Anyway, I want to save on shipping. Anyone know where I could get a 15 gallon plastic barrel in New York City?

markr6

Flashaholic
A quick search on ebay turned up some decent prices with free shipping. Or cheap prices with decent shipping. So that's an option.

And get ready for people to come here and blow you up about how 15 gallons isn't enough. But I think it's a great idea and 15 gallons more than what most people have, including myself, which is 0 gallons.

Borad

Enlightened
The cheapest Ebay ones are used. I'm cheap when it comes to some things but I don't want to take a chance with a used container. Even if I sterilize it, imagine 15 gallons of water leaking in an apartment. I don't have a plan for that. On a good day I could lift it (120 lbs) and put it in a tote that could hold all that water, but that adds to the storage problem and risks injury.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I overlooked the used part. Too bad! That really bumps up the price to about $60+ including shipping.

I've overflowed a toilet, maybe 1 gallon and that was a big enough mess. Yes, 15 would be bad!

nbp

Flashaholic
Yeah if you don't mind used there are more options like those containers bakeries have that frosting and such come in. Probably could have them for free.

nbp

Flashaholic
Why not just buy a couple of the sealed 5 gallon bottles that go in water coolers? People get those for homes and offices all the time. Already packaged and safe and delivered to your house.

Borad

Enlightened
FEMA suggests commercially bottled water too but they say tap water could be used even without treating it and it should last for 6 months. I think it's the best choice at least for washing and flushing. Free. Except my preferred container costs slightly more than I expected. I think I'll get it anyway.

I almost found a good local place but I'm afraid I'd get one of these exposed barrels. There's one more place I'm considering too.

Hmm...hopefully those are just rejects to be thrown away.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I always wondered why water "expires". Does it have something to do with the container? Or bacteria or something else? Most tap water has a good deal of chlorine, so it seems like it would last forever.

scout24

Flashaholic
Not sure if you have a bathtub where you are, as opposed to a standup shower. If you've a tub, consider a "WaterBOB" tub insert. Holds 100 or so gallons, available on Amazon. I realize it's a last minute thing to fill while you've still got water pressure, but it's sealed and takes up little space when stored.

EDIT- www.nybrewsupply.com has food grade plastic buckets from 2 gallon to 7.9 gallon and they are in the NYC area if you want to local purchase. There may be a home brew supply place closer to you that has similar available.

Last edited:

Borad

Enlightened
EDIT- www.nybrewsupply.com has food grade plastic buckets from 2 gallon to 7.9 gallon and they are in the NYC area if you want to local purchase. There may be a home brew supply place closer to you that has similar available.

I think they're in Connecticut despite their name, but thanks for the idea. I've noticed the barrel I want is popular with home brewers. I'll check brewer supply places.

Borad

Enlightened
I always wondered why water "expires". Does it have something to do with the container? Or bacteria or something else? Most tap water has a good deal of chlorine, so it seems like it would last forever.

Bacteria, mold, algae, etc. could grow because bleach has its own expiration date and probably isn't 100% effective anyway. Also, I've noticed plastic imparts a taste even to commercially bottled water over time. If I keep it in my lower kitchen cabinets it becomes undrinkable well before the expiration date. It's probably too warm down there. That's another benefit of bottling my own tap water - I could refresh it more often than you'd normally replace bottled water if necessary without worrying about cost.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I agree with the plastic taste. It never bothered me, but over the past 3 years I've been drinking out of glass bottles unless I'm doing something like kayaking or backpacking. I think I drank out of a plastic bottle of water once and I could immediately taste that sweet-ish plastic taste. No big deal though, especially in an emergency.

But I do like glass for everyday use. Right now I have my usual Everclear bottle on my desk which I refill with filtered tap water everyday. No kidding! The Everclear bottle (or any liquor bottle) is perfect being 25oz and a good heavy duty cap. Just a plain glass bottle after you remove the label :)

1DaveN

Enlightened

Supposedly it's because of food labeling laws - some states require an expiration date on the package of anything consumable, so you get the expiration date nation wide.