everled runtime question

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I came up with 40 hours based on current being drawn and capacity of 3 D. 4 C comes out to around 20 hours.

These are not tested, just crude calculations that don't take into account temperature, optimal discarge rate or decay of light output.

Someday I'll test it.

Daniel

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
I quickly put together a web page with a table of current draw of my one everLED. This might help you estimate runtimes. Sorry, tables are easier, to me, in HTML than BBcode.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
How is the brightness compard to the Krypton bulb and the Xenon bulb?

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
The White Everled should be a bit brighter then a 2D Krypton initially and stay that brightness for quite some time. A 2D light with a Xenon bulb and fresh batteries will be a little brighter then the Everled. A 6D with either a Krpton or Xenon bulb would be much brighter then an Everled. The Everleds will be much whiter then the Krypton bulbs and a little whiter then the Xenons.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sinjz said:
Has anyone done a runtime test with 4AA's? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll probably regret this but lets try this on a theory level. I will use as best guess the Saft NiMH 1700 cell, since you asked about rechargeables on the other thread. Some more guesses, batteries have been cycled enough to give full power, and at room temperature. Fully charged 4 cells will be 5.4 volts, you should not discharge a pack of rechargeable cells below 0.9 volts each which gives 3.6 volts. If were leaving this on constantly, this range gives us fully regulated at what appears to be full brightness and somewhat even power level. Lets call it 1450 milliwatts. These are from my chart. Capacity of the cells at the range of power being drawn would be between 1600 and 1700 milliampere/hours. Let use the lower figure. Mid-point voltage is 1.2 so total capacity of the battery pack would be around 1.2 * 4 * 1600 = 7680 milliwatt/hours. Final calculation is 7680 / 1450 = 5.30 or 5 hours and 18 minutes. Your mileage may vary. Someone please check my math!

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
I'm running my EverLED on 3x123. I have no idea how long it will run. But it's whiter and brighter than my KL3 on 3x123.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks gwbaltzell! Math, what a wonderful invention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So I guess if I used 2200 mah rechargables, then I'd get about 6 hours and 4 minutes right? How does that compare to a PT Tec 40 with the incandecent bulb and what about brightness through out the battery life. That's what I'm really try to find out. I want to compare brightness through the life of the battery. I'm not sure where the EverLED starts off compared to a PT 40 Incandecent at full charge.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
since it's regulating voltage...(there is only a certian avaiable amount of amps in a series battery setup..)

do you get more run time and/or brightness from a 4cell D vs a 2 or 3 cell?

how bout a 6 cell.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
SKYWLKR said:
since it's regulating voltage...(there is only a certian avaiable amount of amps in a series battery setup..)

how bout a 6 cell.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at my table, I saw 3 steps of brightness (not measured). Mine needed 3.8V to start at the highest level, but could drop to about 2.9V and maintain this visual level. Since it appears to be trying to regulate current to the Luxeon and since the Luxeon will have a fairly constant voltage drop across it, the everLED could be thought of as a constant power drain when running at these voltages (what I did in the calculation). The power formula is P (power in watts) = I (current in amperes) * V (voltage in volts). Oversimplifing it, a battery could be thought of as a device which supplys a certain amount of power for a given time: Watt / hours. Because power is current times voltage it doesn't matter if you have the same number of cells in series or in parallel, the watt/hours are the same. With the everLED if the voltage is above 3.8V the power drain rate is nearly constant, so that runtime is increased nearly proportional to the number of cells added. Six cells should run about twice as long as three. In the real world batteries are not perfect and the everLED does vary in its power usage. And dropping out of the higher regulated state things get more complicated than I care to think about. When running two cells you will be drawing less power but you also have fewer watt/hours available and producing less light. To me this is comparing oranges and grapefruit, yes they're both citrus but not the same. By now I'm sure everyone has reached the point of MEGO.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
Sounds good..

I was not sure if the Voltage was being capped if the extra amps were being used (like it would have been wasted and not make sense).

2 or 3 or 4 cells all will have the same amperage but only if the max voltage is being drawn from the series.

but if you only use a certian voltage in all, the left over energy will be be used as amperage.

ie. more cells=more run time with capped voltage.

now if we used the extra voltage then comparable runs times would show up, but a much brighter output would be achevied.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
You'd think I'd be used to seeing wierd bugs from Micr$oft. Noticed someone trying to view my everLED current page was getting 404 Not found. The reason being I had used mixed case in the file name. (I know, not good practice.) Well, their client (browser) IE 6.0 for NT ("Mozilla/4.0 compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; ), for reasons only known to Micro$oft, translated it to all lower case. Anyway, I have changed both the file name and the link.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello George,

The table is very clear, now that the fog of the "404" error has lifted.

You should turn that table into an "interactive" one that allows you to input your cell capacity and get hours of run time at an average draw.

Tom

Off Topic, what is the deal with the deep fried Twinkies at Classic Red Hots?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
SKYWLKR said:

how bout a 6 cell.

[/ QUOTE ]

The everled is brightest when the voltage source is above that magic voltage that someone noted (around 4 and a half volts). I think I heard that it had a boost/buck circuit so that if the voltage is above that point it's reduced to the voltage the LED uses and if it falls below the voltage that the LED needs, it gets boosted.

I noticed no real difference between 2 cells and 3 cells, but did see a difference when I went to 4 cells. An unexpected side effect was that I also changed from 3 D-cells to 4 C-cells. I discovered that the 4 C is the same general length but fits my hand better.

Daniel

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
Tom (SilverFox)

Thanks! Sorry for the delay. No one told me they were getting this error and I only recently got access to the logs. Even then missed exactly what was happening to this page for a couple of weeks.

I showed the simple calculation of theoretical run time in another post just up a few from this. Simply the milliamp/hours of the cell times the mid-point voltage times the number of cells in the battery. All divided by the average milliwatt drain of the everLED. Real run time is going to vary greatly depending on a huge number of factors such as temperature, brand of cell, age of cell, method of recharging if rechargeable, how long on, how long off, how far down we really run it, and so on.

George

Oh, and about that Twinkie™. They apparently have replaced funnel cake as being the favorite at fairs. If you don't happen to be in St. Louis , you can find recipes online by putting "deep fried twinkie" into Google™ and DIY. Do not eat a whole one by yourself, or have a roll of TUMS handy. But they do taste good.