Used 18650 battery testing

shodid

Newly Enlightened
I have many batteries and none are labeled. I've gotten many at different times and some came to me already used by a friend. I don't have any idea where in their life cycles they are.

I'd like to know which have the most life/capacity left so I can label them and start some type of a rotation to wear them more evenly. It will be helpful when heading out on a trip to take the "youngest" batteries that have least potential to die early on me.

Does anyone have information on the safest/easiest way to benchmark them, maybe a rundown test or something?

Last edited:

CuriousOne

Enlightened
LiitoKala Li-260 is the cheapest solution for benchmarking 18650 cells so far, as I know. But since it has only 500mA discharge capability, test of just one battery might take 6-7 hours (charge+discharge). Getting good hobby charger and adapter will allow to test 4-6 cells at same time, greatly reducing time wasted.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
With LLiittookkaallaa Lii500 you get 4 bays. You could test four 18650's at a time.

Not an accurate charger-analyzer but electronics and build quality look good and the price is super sweet!

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have many batteries and none are labeled. I've gotten many at different times and some came to me already used by a friend. I don't have any idea where in their life cycles they are.

I'd like to know which have the most life/capacity left so I can label them and start some type of a rotation to wear them more evenly. It will be helpful when heading out on a trip to take the "youngest" batteries that have least potential to die early on me.

Does anyone have information on the safest/easiest way to benchmark them, maybe a rundown test or something?

watch for good deals for a hobby charger at hobbyking

but forget about the cheap 50w/80w

i snagged the turnigy reaktor 250w for $24 each just a few weeks ago