a emergency flashlight

jason98

Newly Enlightened
I think 3AAA is ok, because this is a Practical tool flashlight,do you want a higher brightness?

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
It looks okay, but what if I needed to use the light to see what I'm doing while using the seatbelt cutter?

What does this offer over, for example, a Convoy S2+ and a lifehammer?

I carry a res-Q-me and a nitecore tube on my car keys in addition to a light in the glove compartment but I'm always looking for alternatives. Cheers

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
to low output and you have to remove the rear to expose the glass breaker which requires a few seconds a few seconds which could mean life or death. I carry my lights and a Benchmade Triage. A true emergency knife the Triage has a belt cutter and glass breaker on the butt end no need to fool with anything its exposed on the butt of the knife just pull it and swing the butt end into the window and the window will shatter. The belt cutter deploys automatically and fast. Its an extremely well designed and made belt cutter made from stainless steel. Highly recommended.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
To be honest I would prefer a cheaper purpose made tool to cut the seat belt and break the window. The ergonomics of those just seem better and somehow think things would be happening fast. Cut the belt and get out. On a side note if the car is in the water the odds statistically are not good so being prepared before hand such as having a familiarity with the gear and it's location would probably be more useful than adding extra features etc to something which by its nature should be less complex. All IMHO.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest I would prefer a cheaper purpose made tool to cut the seat belt and break the window. The ergonomics of those just seem better and somehow think things would be happening fast. Cut the belt and get out. On a side note if the car is in the water the odds statistically are not good so being prepared before hand such as having a familiarity with the gear and it's location would probably be more useful than adding extra features etc to something which by its nature should be less complex. All IMHO.

The item is not worth a quarter of the price,I have brighter AA cell lights.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I wouldn't want a flashlight with anything other than maybe a bottle opener on it.

I think a separate (knife or multi tool) for cutting and breaking would be a better choice, in the event you may need it.

I have a knife with a glass break and seat belt cutter in my car just in case. It breaks glass well (at least on the 91 Honda I tested it on) but cutting a seat belt was slow and tedious. I ended up trying it again with the primary 5 inch serrated blade and it look much less time but, calmly cutting a belt with a blade that big is another story.

When I was 17 I actually had to cut a friend free after they flipped their car into a ditch in a snow storm. While upside down the driver was able to unbuckle and be freed but the passenger, her belt stuck so she was trapped. Thankfully out of the 6 people traveling in a tandem I was the only one with a knife so she was able to get out. Everyone was fine so it wasn't a dire situation anyway but a lesson learned nonetheless.

Since then a light and a blade have always been in my car, and usually these days in my pocket as well.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's tricky to design multi purpose tools and have them work well, the temptation is to take existing things and stick them together.

I'm not especially impressed with the escape tool, but to its credit it looks like the glass breaker may work without removing the cover, but then why the cover? Oh the cover is for the strap cutter.
3 AAA powered light implies that the light is an afterthought.
Still it's just supposed to be mounted in easy reach and left alone till needed.
Put 3 aaa lithium cells in it and leave it be, much better than nothing.

I've been wanting to get a couple of EEZYCUT Trilobite line cutters, maybe tape one near the seat belt latches. They're a little pricy for glorified carpet knives but by all accounts they work extremely well.

Last edited:

andrewnewman

Enlightened
As others have said, this a form of "multi-tool" and, for the price, you could do better with an inexpensive glass-breaker/seatbelt cutter (Amazon sells one for 6.20) that could be used by feel alone. When you are free from the car you'll want a much brighter flashlight probably. A nice Convoy S2+ (as another suggested) will cost < 20 and the two still come in way under half the cost of this "multi-tool".

In an emergency after dark you'll want a bright light that can also be made to last a long time at lower lumens. A higher intensity beam is much better for attracting attention that a dimmer SOS flash. 3xAAA configurations usually are reserved for the lowest end lights (there are some exceptions) and have lousy energy density. You may only need the rescue hammer once (ideally never!) but you can always benefit from a nice long-running bright flashlight.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, um, no thanks. I keep a dedicated flashlight in my car, as well as a rescue tool. It is a Victorinox Rescue tool.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Great idea... but I lost interest as well as soon as I saw the 3 x AAA thing.

Too bad. :(