Nitecore SRT7, brighter with tail cap button pressed hard

Paul2129

Newly Enlightened
I'm a little new here, I'm hoping you can help.

im not having a lot of luck with a recent purchase, I wonder if anyone can advise, or they have a similar experience with their SRT7.

im trying to work out if this is faulty or not. It has the following slightly strange behaviour.

1, sometime come on right away with the tail cap button, other times after a second pause or so, it does the same in reaction to the 'part/momentary' press (without clicking the button)

2, when you press or grip the adjusting ring, in affects the brightness slightly, sort or press the ring forward or backwards and the brightness changes (a bit) almost flickers. I won't make a point of doing this, just wonder if it points toward future unreliability

3, when the tail switch is pressed all the way in, it comes on brighter than it stays when you let your finger off, brighter than you can take it in any mode. I've tested this with it on the highest setting, and still it's brighter while you hold the tail button all the way in, then less so when you let go of it

any advice would be most appreciated

p.S : currently using the supplied non-rechargeable 2x small cells supplied with the torch

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah the SRT7 adventure continues! First unscrew the light apart, then take some rubbing alcohol and some Q tips and go over all the contact points being a new light Im sure they are dirty. Secondly you want the retaining ring about as tight as it will go. You are using 2xCR123's? That actually is not a bad thing. Hope they are a good brand like Duracell or Panasonics. The SRT7 does not put out 960 lumens. On 1x18650 its 780. On 2xCR123's Im trying to remember the review but output shoots to 860 lumens I believe. Use 2xRCR123 for 890 lumens. My advice is to do the cleaning make sure the ring is as tight as you can get it and decide what you want out of the light. You get the longest run times using a high capacity 18650 and its rechargeable so good to go there. OR check out sites like battereyjunction.com where you can buy bulk CR123's for under 2 dollars each vs 16 for a pack of two at CVS. I run RCR123's in my SRT6 and 7 for maximum output. Dont use them enough to need lots of run time so got Keeppower 16340's for them. I greatly prefer the SRT6.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
1, sometime come on right away with the tail cap button, other times after a second pause or so, it does the same in reaction to the 'part/momentary' press (without clicking the button)

I don't have a SRT7 so can't confirm this, but I do recall it having a soft-ramp-up on all modes except high.
So if you have the ring set to max brightness it should turn on straight away, while if you have it set to a more dim setting, it should slowly ramp up to the required brightness.
Is it really a second pause (no light for that second before turning on) or does the light just slowly brighten until full brightness?

PS: Also post #100, I'm now officially a Flashaholic:twothumbs.

Last edited:

Paul2129

Newly Enlightened
I tightened it up really tight, and it does seem to have helped. Can you tell me, does the head of the torch also unscrew off ?

the pause seems random, it doesn't ramp up, either it's on right away, or not, and it's the same wether it's set to full brightness or part, also the same wether the button is part pressed or full pressed.

i'll continue to experiment

thanks for your replies

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
both the SRT 6 and 7 unscrew into 3 parts. The battery tube, the tail switch and the head. You can actually move the magnetic ring front and back? That is NOT good. I would actually return the light. The rings are NOT supposed to do that something is off. I have had my 6 and 7 since they first came out years ago and despite my many complaints they have both been as reliable as hammers. Both rings on both lights only got smoother to use no slop or play at all and neither moves back and forth. Heres something NC overlooked in the design of the 6 and 7. The red low voltage indicator on the head. Load 2xCR123's into either light and the low voltage sensor only picks up 3 volts instead of 6 causing the low voltage indicator to flash fast. It is pretty annoying and a HUGE miss in electronics design by NC.

Latest posts