Turquoise Cmg infinity brighter than white?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hello,
Am trying to decide between the turquoise or white CMG infinity, Turquoise or white photon microlight, and the pelican L1. I've heard that the cmg infinity in white is very dim so was wondering if the turqouise(or green) is brighter. Will mainly use the light for hiking and backpacking and this will be my first Led. Its hard buying these things sight unseen. Thanks
Todd

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Todd:
I've heard that the cmg infinity in white is very dim so was wondering if the turqouise(or green) is brighter<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the green Infinity is substantially brighter than the white one, but I have not yet seen a turquoise Infinity so I have no clue.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until your eyes are totally adjusted to the dark, I don't think the Infinity will provide enough light for hiking. I only found it useful for task lighting, like adding a new board inside a computer.

If size is your main concern, go with one of the PAL lights. Multiple light levels, the hightest being very bright for an LED, long life, and only a little larger than a 9V battery. If you can afford a bit more space, consider the Pilot Three or Trek flashlights. Broad even light, as opposed to the PAL's spotlight approach. You can find these at www.glow-bug.com .

RonM

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Todd, I think the photon may not have the batt. life to meet your needs. I have not seem a reveiw of the pelican yet(want to be the first?)and I question whether the Infinity would be bright enough. Colored lights sometimes tend to distort reality. Why not consider somthing more powerfull? Maybe a Lightwave or even an Expedition (I know they are more money but if you are like most of us flashohalics you will end up with one anyway)
smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I haven't done a run time test of the Pelican L1. It is brighter than the Photon, but my guess it will have about the same run time, 10 hours. You could go with a PAL and remove the lens, then it has a similar output to a Photon.

Brock

mcjamison

Newly Enlightened
I bought a "blue-green" CMG Infinity hoping it would approach the brightness of a turquoise Photon light, but was disappointed. While the bright portion of its beam is wider than the white, I wouldn't call it brighter. (It's possible that I received a green CMG mis-labeled as the blue-green, as it doesn't look as bluish as a turquise Photon).

There is some detailed discussion of the Pelican L1 in the
Pelican L1 at Botach thread. As it's smaller, lighter, and substantially brighter than the CMG, it's a better choice for hiking or backpacking.

As to whether the Photon is a better choice than the L1, the main open question is battery life: Pelican claims a 100 hour battery life for the L1, but Brock's analysis of the current draw indicates that this number is too high. The Pelican's batteries would certainly be easier to change in the field.

The Photon light is such a terrific little light, though, I would suggest buying one in any case. It's a great addition to any keychain, and its size and weight are so trivial that you can always take it along on your adventures, even if it's only as a backup.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I bought a turquoise photon II. It was really bright but not as usefull to me as the white one. I have a green Infinity. It's really bright but has a lot of rings. After reading Craig's review I wish I would have bought the white one.