Current "Best" single AA light, favoring KISS and long runtimes over high output...

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Current "Best" single AA light, favoring KISS and long runtimes over high output...

-We're only talking single AA after all, save the high outputs and big reflectors and "tactical" stuff for bigger power supplies.

To the best of my knowledge the "best", simplest , versatile and long running single AA light right now is the L3 Illumination L10 four mode twisty (with Nichia 219 option).
Maintenence concerns are reduced to one O ring, dubious batteries causing corrosion, and thread wear.
Hanging down it sheds water, as the battery sleeve overhangs the head.

What have I missed?
Clicky designs are good too, but with 18650 lights being so small and reasonable now, the ideal AA light to me is about being simple, compact, being there when needed, being reliable, long running, quality light for tasks at hand, and never wasting battery or night vision getting to low through higher modes -always start in low.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Current "Best" single AA light, favoring KISS and long runtimes over high output

I think my first good LED light was a red light CMG Infinity, it would provide useful light for about a week on an alkaline AA, sometimes it would pop a bit opening the light because the AA had ruptured. (I kept the little plastic driver body and led, it lives).
That's the baseline to me.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Current "Best" single AA light, favoring KISS and long runtimes over high output

For me it's my most recent acquisition, Malkoff MDC AA. It's definitely not "compact" but beyond that it's the best flashlight I've had.

nebular

Newly Enlightened

I also think the Malkoff MDC 1AA is the one for me. I bought one recently, and it has become my favorite EDC light. It's a straight to the point light and well built. It's not too small but not too large, just perfect in the hand and in the pocket.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

Both the Malkoff MDC AA and the Peak El Capitan are pretty intriguing.
The price point of the L3 L10 four mode Nichia 219 keeps me focused on it.
I've got one for myself, and I've given 2 of the L10 four mode Nichia, and two of the L08 AAA four mode Nichia versions away as gifts. -that would get pretty pricy with Malkoff or Peak.
I'd love to get a AA QTC high CRI Peak,
and if Malkoff would make a neutral/warm or even CRI single AA MDC then I'd surely save up my dimes for one or more.

Last edited:

kronos

Newly Enlightened

The Zebralight sc5 is hard to beat as an edc light in aa but I think it's against the spirit of the thread. For me the thrunite t10s is pretty awesome. Mine is a neutral xpg2. It's modes are perfectly spaced, and there are only 3 to worry about. It's pretty lightweight, I'm sure the titanium version is lighter, but I like the heft the stainless gives. The only thing wrong with mine is that the emitter isn't centered, but it's only noticeable right against a wall. I have much nicer lights in my collection but I find myself carrying it all the time around the house at night.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

For a low cost, KISS 1xAA light, I agree that the Nichia 219 L3 L10 is about as good as it gets. For under $30, you get a VERY small and simple light with great tint and output that's not too shabby for what it is. Plus, you can choose from a number of different colors. Runtime is pretty good, especially in lower modes (but not too bad even on high). And regulation is aurprisingly flat. However, from what I have heard, they can be somewhat fragile.

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast

-We're only talking single AA after all, save the high outputs and big reflectors and "tactical" stuff for bigger power supplies.
Why?

To the best of my knowledge the "best", simplest , versatile and long running single AA light right now is the L3 Illumination L10 four mode twisty (with Nichia 219 option).

"Best" is a term that I never understand why people on forums have to obsess with. Far too subjective and totally meaningless without context.

Personally I've found most AA lights a little underwhelming. Poor performance and poor runtime most of the time.

The "best" light I have that uses an AA sized battery (a 14500) is the BLF Kronos X5. It's not especially compact for an AA sized light, but significantly smaller than a comparable 18650 light. And it's output and throw are simply out of this world for such a compact light.

Superb tint with the NW XP-L HI emitter. And super usable 7 output programmable driver. With Moonlight and a good choice of low modes that you can actually get pretty good runtimes and lengthy EDC carry with it.

In terms of compact dimensions. I really like the the ThruNite T10 (think it was also called Sabre 1A). It tail stands, is very short an narrow. Has 4 good output modes including an ultra low moonlight mode. And the beam profile with an XP-G2 is very very good, as is the output considering it runs on a 1.2v Eneloop.

But sadly the threads are super noisy, the head is lose fitting with lots of slop and the tint is completely ice white.

I don't have a pic on it's own. But it's the 3rd one in from the left. Note it's shorter than some AAA lights.

What I think would be a nice AA light, is if Maglite made an AA Solitaire with two or three output modes. The head tight for off is so much better than head lose for off design.

Last edited:

revscott

Newly Enlightened

I have the L10 Nichia 4 mode, Foursevens Mini MA, and Fenix E12.

While there is much to like, here is what I don't like about each light.

L10:
I don't like the foam spring design, the twist action is stiff. (much prefer a spring in the tail)
The threads get dirty quickly
The 5-6 seconds for the UI to default back to low is too long for me (why did they do this?)

Mini MA:
Wish the low was a little lower
Not as efficient in run times as the L10
Tint is just ok

E12:
Wish the beam pattern had more spill (my TIR is slightly crooked)
Wish the low was lower (1-3 lm), and the med was lower (15-30 lm)

As for which one is best, I just don't know. I use all three at different times. Lately I have preferred the tail click on the E12.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I keep wanting the E12 for its simplicity and reported quality...I just can't get past the blue tint that people say it has. If they had it in neutral white I would probably have a couple of them.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Zebralight SC5/52 series might be one to consider. They have great runtimes and a press/hold always starts it in low. On some of the moonlight settings you can get weeks of continuous runtime. They're pretty compact, the SC5 is a little heavy while the SC52 a bit lighter and thinner. Both are good options. It depends on what your intended use is but I use my SC5 as an EDC light at work and it's held up quite well over the past year. Working in a warehouse environment it frequently gets dropped on concrete floors, banged into things and still works great. Tough little light and build like a tank.

tops2

Enlightened

I love everything about my Fenix E12 except for the small hotspot and spill. It always feels like I have tunnel vision when I use it. The throw is pretty short too, but what I ended up expecting from an AA light. If the beam was larger and had a bit more throw, I wouldn't have ended up spending so much time on CPF.. But it is really simple to use and has great efficiency and always comes on in low.

But I love my Zebralight SC5w for all the reasons snowlover91 mentioned. I love the beam, UI and efficiency of this light.
If you want to KISS, you can just quick 1 click for on and off to the high level. Or just long press to cycle through L-M-H and let go for level you want. If you want to get "fancy", then it helps to get comfortable with the interface.
For my own usage and where I live, the SC5w is actually more than enough that it really greatly reduced my temptation to get other lights (even though I'm planning on one of the new Zebralight 18650 light once I can make up my mind). Honestly I rarely use the H modes, which is why I'm really taking my time deciding.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sunwayman R15A. It's well built and about as simple as you can get. Twist head to turn on at low mode, twist further for high.

wensynch

Newly Enlightened

Nitecore MT10A. 1000 lum on 14500x1. Is also capable of using standard forms of AA. Also, has a red LED, all in a tiny package with side and tail switch. Just very still be my most powerful tiny light.

Although, I find it a bit slippery to grip any other way then in palm, thumb on button, as it's got so much going on. Needs a tactical ring, but alas no, and the only Nitecore ring accessory, fits only the larger body.

creegeek

Newly Enlightened

+1 on the Nitecore MT10A... Its a great light with long run time. The UI is simple with tail click and "up/down" buttons on the head.

My second choice is the Nitecore MT1A for price/performance/throw/simplicity.

HarleyXJGuy

Newly Enlightened

When I think KISS and quality with AA compatibility my thoughts go to the Sunwayman V11R.

Tail click on and off and a simple dial the amount of brightness you need ring. Doesn't hurt that it can run upwards of 500 lumens stock and a good bit more modded.

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate

I love AA lights, they are my favorite cell...IMHO, you cannot go wrong with a Foursevens Quark AA, clicky, many modes. The issue is you currently cannot buy a single AA in one purchase...you need to buy the 2AA version and the single AA body seperately. You could always keep an eye on the marketplace for a used one.

For the minimalist, I do not think there is a smaller AA light than the Maratac AA...also one of my favorites. Twisty, three modes. Great little light.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Eagletac D25A is another option if you are okay with something a little less 'bare bones' than an L3 L10. It's somewhat larger than that light, but features a clicky switch and LOTS more modes. It's also available with a wide array of different emitters. So there's something for everyone. You can even get it in titanium if you are willing to spend the cash.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love AA lights, they are my favorite cell...IMHO, you cannot go wrong with a Foursevens Quark AA, clicky, many modes. The issue is you currently cannot buy a single AA in one purchase...you need to buy the 2AA version and the single AA body seperately. You could always keep an eye on the marketplace for a used one.

http://frogwild.com/4sevens-quark-aa-tactical-r5-edition-aa-battery-led-flashlight.html