Eagletac D25c clicky question for the experts please.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run my D25C clicky on 3v 123 batts,fed up of paying silly UK prices even though I get them quite reasonable.Can I use 3.7v rechargeable such as the

[h=2]EagleTac 16340 / RCR123[/h]
Li-ion 16340 / RCR123 battery
3.7v nominal
750mAh capacity

All comments from the guys who do know the answer very welcome...Thanks in advance.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all the D25c versions and use 16340 cells.
Efest IMR 16340
AW protected 16340
Eagletac 16340, but this cell isn't as good as their 18650 cells.

If you have the first generation D25C then you lose the medium mode. This issue was addressed with the second gen and you keep the medium mode. I hope this helps.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Efest IMR 16340
AW protected 16340

If you have the first generation D25C then you lose the medium mode. This issue was addressed with the second gen and you keep the medium mode. I hope this helps.

It does and thanks.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes as mentioned, I have Efest,KeepPower 16340 cells I use in my d25c lights. The AW 16340 seem to be the best performing long term out of them from reports I have read :)

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I have the 2014 Ti D25C clicky, and I run it without incident thus far on an Olight 16340. [Moonlight], [Low], and [Medium] modes work as expected, but [High] is indistinguishable from [Turbo]. Which really doesn't bother me.

cyclesport

Enlightened
Efest IMR 16340
AW protected 16340

Not my experience...I too have every gen D25C and ALL will loose medium (replaced by high or turbo) if anything other than CR123 primaries. Even 3v LiFePo's.

EDIT: I take that back...I don't have the latest 2016 Ti D25c so I can't speak for that particular release, but all others are a fail (in medium) on any Li-ion.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not my experience...I too have every gen D25C and ALL will loose medium (replaced by high or turbo) if anything other than CR123 primaries. Even 3v LiFePo's.

EDIT: I take that back...I don't have the latest 2016 Ti D25c so I can't speak for that particular release, but all others are a fail (in medium) on any Li-ion.

I only have one D25C and it is an older one. It works perfectly on 3V LiFePO4's. All modes are exactly the same as on CR123a's. I am pretty sure any D25C will work the same on LiFePO4's just not 3.7V RCR's(16340) which are still safe to use but, run the light in direct drive.

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest you have faulty units or yours have still been installed with the first gen driver.

I have personally used 8 x D25C with a clear medium mode using IMR and protected 16340 cells.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest you have faulty units or yours have still been installed with the first gen driver.

I have personally used 8 x D25C with a clear medium mode using IMR and protected 16340 cells.

Did you mean to quote cyclesport? I only have one D25C. I dont run it on 16340 and only use CR123A or 3V LiFePO4.

Eagletac's specs state it will run in direct drive on 3.7V unless they havent update them. I was just quoting those at the end of my comment. Hopefully ET did update the driver to work properly on 3.7V. If they did they should update their specs so people arent confused.

Operating voltage

• 0.8V - 3.2V6​
  • Read here before using 3.7V 16340 / RCR123A li-ion

* Using 4.2V li-ion direct drives the LED and yields maximum output at the expense of extensive heat generated from the LED. Limit each usage to less than fives minutes (or less than one minute each with freshly charged li-ion for the first couple times). Active cooling (blowing cool air toward the light) or passive cooling (holding the light in your hand) helps preventing excessive heat built at the LED. Turn off the light to allow it to cool down if you find the flashlight too hot to hold. Do not leave the light running unattended with li-ion. During direct drive, output at low and medium mode will be higher than normal.

6. When using single 4.2V 16340 (protected circuit is highly recommended), middle output mode will become high output mode.

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out dated info relating to gen 1. Feel free to test for yourself. They dropped the over drive for regulation and to keep the middle mode when using 4.2v li-ion cells.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletac battery has arrived and is on charge as I will post later.

It will work either way and is safe to use. It just appears that whether it will run regulated or not will depend on the driver version. Eagletac should really update their specs or explain how to tell the difference.

cyclesport

Enlightened
The Eagletac battery has arrived and is on charge as I will post later.

Please post you result. As I stated ...none of the half dozen lights I've owned of various years and emitters has kept medium when used with 16340's or 3v LiFepo's...NONE. Maybe I've been unlucky in the extreme but I don' believe it.

cyclesport

Enlightened

I'm really amazed at your results?! of the 6 I've had none maintained medium with either 3.7v 16340's or LiFePo's!

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really amazed at your results?! of the 6 I've had none maintained medium with either 3.7v 16340's or LiFePo's!

Not working on 3V LiFePO4's seems really weird because they are almost the same voltage as CR123a's and are usually directly interchangeable in pretty much all things that take CR123A's. Also, even in the earliest models of the D25C Eagletac listed in the specs up to 3.2V for regulated output. Are you absolutely sure what you tried were 3V LiFePO4's? What brand were they and what model? I have what is probably the first generation ever D25C with a Nichia 219A emitter(before they switched to 219B) and it works perfectly on 3V LiFePO4(exactly the same as on CR123a).

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, it is charged,all modes work as they should only thing when I tighten the head it fails to go any brighter like it does with a 3v battery,other than that it goes quite warm on high which I expected.

My version is running the XM-L2 U2 led.

Latest posts