Klarus G30 measurements (MT-G2, 3x18650)

maukka

Enlightened
This will be just pure measurement data for the Klarus G30. For general info and runtime tests check out Budda's great review.

For comparison, I've also posted some data from my Nitecore EC4SW review that also uses the Cree MT-G2 emitter, although it runs on 2 18650s instead of 3 like the Klarus.

5s6Egex.png

Beam and CCT. Very smooth transition from hotspot to spill.

47MQeOk.png

The whole beam has a tint close to the black body radiation line.

g85xIs9.png

Tint in different brightness modes stays quite consistent.

BFWpzTJ.png

Comparison to the Nitecore EC4SW tint. This graph is zoomed in so the difference is actually very small and in practice almost impossible to discern.

qGd8i1Q.png

wByb0tc.png

jt1RkDr.png

gJjOFOI.png

The color rendering and CCT are also very comparable for the Klarus and Nitecore. For more info on color rendering check this thread.

Gyb4ReU.png

DYRMX3R.png

xxMreYi.png

hVXso6j.png

Strobe alternates between 6.8 and 16.7 hertz.

NgDHgi0.jpg

18650 battery, Klarus G30, Nitecore EC4SW.

The price difference between the Klarus G30 and Nitecore EC4SW is not large if you buy them on a sale. Where the Nitecore shines, is the size. It has an ingenious two cell format and feels much more comfortable in the hand. The Klarus is 13,3 cm long vs. Nitecore's 15 cm. Neither are really pocketable unless you're wearing a winter coat. Tint between the lights is almost exactly the same and very neutral and smooth, although the CRI is not very high. The good tint makes up for a lot though. Output wise the Klarus manages to pass the Nitecore. In my styrofoam integrating sphere, I measured lumen output at 1760, which is 9 % higher than the Nitecore's. Beam is tad tighter with 30 % more output in the middle of the beam. Runtime was not tested. There is no PWM on any mode. Unlike the direct driven Nitecore, the Klarus is regulated even on Turbo. There's temperature regulation though, so if the light gets hot, the output decreases. The Nitecore also has a very effective temperature control.

Last edited:

shine the way

Newly Enlightened
Huh? Turkey, potatoes, peas, onions, garlic, bread, extra stuffing boxes, gravy, butter, milk... some more but I'm forgetting what at the moment.

JuRuKi

Newly Enlightened
I just bought this light! Cant wait to get it.
How long do shipments usually take from gearbest to the US?

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I just bought this light! Cant wait to get it.
How long do shipments usually take from gearbest to the US?

My order from them shipped on March 5th and I received it on March 21st. China post tracking was good and it was easy to keep track of the shipping. The USPS picks up the tracking once it hits the US.

Bob

maukka

Enlightened
I found the Klarus G30 and Nitecore EC4SW to be very similar in terms of output vs. time when not cooled with a fan. However, the Nitecore is significantly hotter.

5midpzv.png

In lumen hours to 10% output the Klarus clocks in 3279 lm*hr and the Nitecore 2149 lm*hr. 53 % difference, so the efficiency is almost identical when you take into consideration that the Klarus has 3 batteries and the Nitecore only 2 (50 % difference). I used Keeppower 18650 3500 mAh (2015) batteries in both.

pkkkB3X.png

Here are the lights after one minute on turbo. The Nitecore is already 7 degrees hotter on the hottest part of the head.

y9i97fO.png

After 8 minutes the Nitecore is already too hot to hold (handle reaches 50°C) but the Klarus can easily be held with bare hands. This is expected though, since the Klarus weighs 290 grams vs. 172 g for the Nitecore. More mass for the heat to spread.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Great info and comparison here maukka! This MT-G2 seems to be nearly perfect in every like review I've seen. Such a nice LED. I really like the EC4SW tint, beam, size, and weight. I don't need another 3x18650 light, so I will pass on the G30, even though that price is tempting!