Surefire EB1 Low Setting Too Bright?

sawdustlab

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster.
I just purchased a Surefire EB1 Backup with Tactical tail switch. The high setting (200 lumens) is very bright with a well defined hot spot, no problem there. Where I am having an issue is with the low setting. It is supposed to be only 5 lumens, but it seems MUCH brighter. It actually appears to be at least 100 lumens comparing it to other lights I have. There is a noticeable, but only moderate difference between the low and high settings when I change between them- definitely not a 195 lumen difference.

Has anyone had this issue with Surefire lights before? This is actually the second EB1 I've purchased. I got the first one earlier this week and had the same issue, so I returned it through Amazon, and got another...but the problem is present in the second one. This leaves me wondering if it's two consecutive faulty lights or if I'm going a little crazy.

I have attached a photo showing the difference between the Low/High settings on the EB1 and the Low setting on my Streamlight ProTac 1L, which has a rating of 12 lumens.

Thank you all in advance.
4u0Gl2o.jpg

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster.
I just purchased a Surefire EB1 Backup with Tactical tail switch. The high setting (200 lumens) is very bright with a well defined hot spot, no problem there. Where I am having an issue is with the low setting. It is supposed to be only 5 lumens, but it seems MUCH brighter. It actually appears to be at least 100 lumens comparing it to other lights I have. There is a noticeable, but only moderate difference between the low and high settings when I change between them- definitely not a 195 lumen difference.

Has anyone had this issue with Surefire lights before? This is actually the second EB1 I've purchased. I got the first one earlier this week and had the same issue, so I returned it through Amazon, and got another...but the problem is present in the second one. This leaves me wondering if it's two consecutive faulty lights or if I'm going a little crazy.

I have attached a photo showing the difference between the Low/High settings on the EB1 and the Low setting on my Streamlight ProTac 1L, which has a rating of 12 lumens.

Thank you all in advance.

What battery are you using? CR123 Primary? Definitely something wrong.

tonkem

Enlightened
Might be obvious, but the high comes on first on the EB1, then turn off the light and back on and that will give you the low.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same problem. I bought 2 from Amazon and both were defective. Sent one back and sent the other to Surefire.

Obviously they had a bad batch of these. I'm glad I'm not the only one! Lol

I feel bad for all the other people who got a defective one. Call Surefire and let them know.

The most bizarre thing is that if I use a lifep04 cell the light works properly. It only malfunctions on primary CR123a's.

Last edited:

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
I have two silver EB1-T's from Amazon (seller "Bargain Ben"), purchased a couple months ago... one has a QR code, the other doesn't, so I'm guessing there's a reasonable span of time between their manufacture. They both work fine, I get 5 low and 200 high with both of them.

Do you get a brighter low regardless of if you twist or press the tailcap? Not that I have a fix, just curious.

Either way, let Surefire know, they've always been prompt with customer service in my experience.

sawdustlab

Newly Enlightened
Yes, using the primary CR123A provided with the light. The problem was the same whether using the momentary on press, or slightly screwing the tail cap to the "low" setting.
Glad I'm not the only one!

I sent back the second one through Amazon and ordered a third from a different seller, hoping to get a light from a different production batch.

I did contact Surefire, and when they told me about the 3-4 week lead time they had on their repairs I decided it best to just return the light one more time and get a new one to see if I'd get lucky. If the third one is delivered and it's not functioning properly I will likely just send it in to Surefire to have them fix it up.

In the short period I had the light it seemed awesome! I'm pairing it with the Thyrm Switchback to make low light handgun manipulations smoother, and it felt great...right up until the point I had to box it back up and ship it away...again...:sigh:

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same problem. I bought 2 from Amazon and both were defective. Sent one back and sent the other to Surefire.

I feel bad for all the other people who got a defective one. Call Surefire and let them know.

The most bizarre thing is that if I use a lifep04 cell the light works properly. It only malfunctions on primary CR123a's.

That is strange for sure..

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
who-we,glade i came to reed this! i was just about two buy a EB1 from amazon today!i'll have to rethink my plans now,maybe i'll just go for the E1D!but if i where you i would send it back and wait for a better batch to come in,sorry to hear this.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
who-we,glade i came to reed this! i was just about two buy a EB1 from amazon today!i'll have to rethink my plans now,maybe i'll just go for the E1D!but if i where you i would send it back and wait for a better batch to come in,sorry to hear this.

When I bought mine, they were from Tool Deals and fulfilled by Amazon. Perhaps if you get one from Amazon.com but fulfilled by someone other than Amazon you may be ok.

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for the 200 lumen tactical cap version, I bought two from here (silver, through Bargain Ben). Both are good to go.

wensynch

Newly Enlightened
I'll be honest.

I probably would never had purchased this excellent mil minded tool light had I not managed to get it at a steal at $60 near mint from a pawn store. It originally listed at $99 but also as broken/does not light. not inspected, as is with battery still in the light.

It didn't sell, so it was reduced for a quick sell which I jumped on knowing SF. Aside from its being full blown, I knew Surefire would surely fix it back up, free, if it was broken, which I'm assuming seller didn't know.

As the battery was stated to still be in, I was thinking, kinda hoping/banking on, perhaps seller also didn't know how to open the EB1 as it only opens from the head.

When I received light, in near mint original box with papers, I was disappointed to discover the light had no battery, so it was removed, leading me to believe that the light was in fact broken.

I put a CR123a in, clicked and nothing came on. I was sad..

Then while playing it, and eventually fully tightening the tail cap in, which was at almost fully tightened but not.

It worked! Risk well worth taking.

sawdustlab

Newly Enlightened
Okay guys, back with an update.

I returned the second one and got a third. This time the low setting worked! But don't celebrate too quickly...When I started testing out the light using low light tactics (using the momentary on function at a high rate of speed while searching and pie-ing corners, etc) I ran into a MAJOR issue.:mad: After pressing the tail cap for the momentary on in rapid succession 5-7 times the light would become unresponsive for 2 seconds or so (nothing happened when I press the button), then it would work for another 5-7 momentary on pushes, then unresponsive for another 2 seconds, so on, and so on. (Just for clarification because people were mentioned the sellers on Amazon, the first two I purchased were from Tool Deals fulfilled by Amazon, the third was from a different LLC)

This problem is far worse than what I was running into before in my opinion. Oddly enough, if I screwed in the tail cap far enough to turn on the low setting, and started pushing rapidly to get bursts of the high setting, no interruptions...But that completely defeats the purpose of the low light tactics.

At any rate, I've decided this is a bust. I really like the design, the light output, and bright hot spot with ample flood...but I'm just going to stick with my Streamlight Protac 1L for now. I know that I could send it in to Surefire and they would probably get it back to me in proper working order, but that's just not my style. If I buy something brand new, it had better work as such.

This is far too much of a hassle to get a functioning light, and if I'm spending $150 on something I carry every day I want to bet my life on it functioning properly, and I don't feel that confidence with these purchases. I really think that it's just a mixture of bad production batches and bad luck.

Maybe I'll look into the new EB1 that Surefire came out with as soon as I can see some reputable reviews on its function. Only sad part is that the Thyrm Switchback Backup isn't compatible with that light, which was another big selling point for me, as a retention ring aids significantly with weapons manipulations while deploying the light.

Thanks to everyone for the input!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe (if I'm remembering correctly) the early version of this light had the problem you are describing but the newer version (with QR code & serial number on the head) fixed that problem.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new eb1s don't have a tactical tailcap anymore, unless surefire has decided otherwise. Using the clicky tailcap for low light techniques and flash and dash doesn't work worth a damn with multi mode lights. Plus you end up clicking it on when you just want momentary. Sorry your having bad luck with them. I understand your frustration.

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
I believe (if I'm remembering correctly) the early version of this light had the problem you are describing but the newer version (with QR code & serial number on the head) fixed that problem.
FWIW, one of mine has the QR, the other doesn't. Neither have exhibited such issues.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's too, hope things work out for you Sawdustlab.

Hope none of these issues appear with the newer 300 lumen model. Seeing as though it has the same internals as the E1DL though, looks like I don't need to worry a bit.

wensynch

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried calling? I've called for a few replacement parts under warranty and always had someone pick up. Prompt shipping too.