Torch steer please

David AP

Newly Enlightened
OK, I'm back.

The TN4A I got my Dad was as well received as anything I've ever bought him. Great piece of kit, perfect size, function etc. so thanks for all the feedback last time.
Now I want one myself, but I can't help but be drawn to the Eagletac GX30a3D for the diffuser.
I'm a bit stuffed as it's almost twice the price of the TN4a though and not widely available in the UK.

So is there anything else that will do the job I haven't seen?
Must run on aa's(3-4), have a diffuser, up to around 1000 lumen, available in the UK and £50 or less.

Many thanks,

D.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im a huge Eagletac fan I own over a dozen of their best hits. That being said I am just not sold on the new models with the built in diffusers esp the GX30. Sure its great to have the option and all but turn on both the main emitter and the diffuser at the same time and it will suck the stoutest AA's dry in no time. Also not sold on how tough the diffuser is. I use my lights hard they get knocked around dropped etc. It is also really expensive. Sure the range out of it in extremely impressive for a light its size but that is about it. To much to go wrong with these built in diffuser ET's.

My advice is to just but the TN4A HI model. I have 3 TN4A's the CW,NW and HI. I am assuming you want a "stubbie" AA light that can throw. The TN4A HI throws 53k+ CD its astonishing. I cannot tell a brightness difference between the HI and my other two TN4A's. The beam profile out the HI is totally different than the non HI TN4A's. Totally throw oriented tight very bright well defined hot spot. the spill portion of the beam profile is massive in diameter almost like a D cell Mag. The spill is not as bright as the non HI TN4A's but is still more than bright enough to be useful at any output level. Cannot think of a diffuser that would fit the TN4A though. I myself dont feel the need for a diffuser with the HI the beam at any output level is just that damn wide. Love my TN4A's they are some of the best high output LED lights I have ever purchased. Run my HI off L91 Energizer Ultimate Lithiums for max performance (L91's are 3000mah) and I found a reliable source to buy them in bulk cheap. Good luck....

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take the leap to Li-ion power.

As for built in diffusers, that's an EagleTac USP at the moment, so if that's what you really want, you only really have one choice.

If you are open to other lights.

Then may I recommend:
http://www.banggood.com/Astrolux-S2-CREE-XPL-HI-1400LM-EDC-LED-Flashlight-18650-p-1037831.html

You'll need some good batteries:
http://www.banggood.com/2PCS-INR186...wer-Li-ion-Battery-for-Samsung-p-1015666.html

A cheap DMM:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-L...749861?hash=item53f1c8bba5:g:-akAAOSwG-1Wu2D0

And a charger:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTAR-VC2-...048273?hash=item1a08753351:g:51YAAOSwT5tWNILd

If you PM me there is a discount to be had on the torch and batteries.

And remember the batteries, charger and DMM can all be used on other torches in the future.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2 cents worth, I scour trade stores in the Uk for lights but I have more Fenix than any other make but deep down I am an avid Eagtac fan and really enjoy there overall user-friendly approach and quality.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I'll also support the eagtac option. A D25c is my everyday carry and a gx25a3 (dedomed) is a well established member of my collection and used regularly.
Apart from that, as mentioned above they're the only manufacturer which offers built in diffusers. Having a separate filter can be a bit of a nuisance.

David AP

Newly Enlightened
Im a huge Eagletac fan I own over a dozen of their best hits. That being said I am just not sold on the new models with the built in diffusers esp the GX30. Sure its great to have the option and all but turn on both the main emitter and the diffuser at the same time and it will suck the stoutest AA's dry in no time. Also not sold on how tough the diffuser is. I use my lights hard they get knocked around dropped etc. It is also really expensive. Sure the range out of it in extremely impressive for a light its size but that is about it. To much to go wrong with these built in diffuser ET's.

My advice is to just but the TN4A HI model. I have 3 TN4A's the CW,NW and HI. I am assuming you want a "stubbie" AA light that can throw. The TN4A HI throws 53k+ CD its astonishing. I cannot tell a brightness difference between the HI and my other two TN4A's. The beam profile out the HI is totally different than the non HI TN4A's. Totally throw oriented tight very bright well defined hot spot. the spill portion of the beam profile is massive in diameter almost like a D cell Mag. The spill is not as bright as the non HI TN4A's but is still more than bright enough to be useful at any output level. Cannot think of a diffuser that would fit the TN4A though. I myself dont feel the need for a diffuser with the HI the beam at any output level is just that damn wide. Love my TN4A's they are some of the best high output LED lights I have ever purchased. Run my HI off L91 Energizer Ultimate Lithiums for max performance (L91's are 3000mah) and I found a reliable source to buy them in bulk cheap. Good luck....

Thanks for the reply.
I'm actually not looking for even more throw than the non hi, and actually want more rather than less spill. More floody basically. But I love the form of the tn4a and am defo looking for an AA only torch.
Am tempted to go for the nw tbh.

So basically for waving around the garden for instance or looking around a tent/camp site, would you say the non hi would be better?

Cheers,

D.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
yw. Okay a NW TN4A should be perfect then. I have the XML2 NW I do not have the new XP-L NW not sure if there is really a tint difference or not but can say my XML2 NW TN4A has a near halogen like tint its gorgeous. Its supposedly down 100 lumens vs the CW but to my eyes it is just as bright. Once again massive beam diameter big hot spot kind of diffuse and freaking bright as hell. Color rendition with my XML2 NW is out freaking standing I usually just use the mid or high mode turbo is often just way to much. Love these lights still am amazed they are only 50 bucks