Malkoff        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: illumination supply customer service

Default illumination supply customer service

So my Olight S1 Baton (stock black) arrived the other day, and I put in a brand new Surefire CR123A that I just tested with a ZTS MINI at 100 percent. Tried out the modes and everything was hunky dori. That night, I tried out the modes again, and for some reason I looked at the head after I shut it off in a dark room and noticed it was glowing. I turned the head so it faced me and saw it was on, but not on moonlight because it was clicked off, confirming this by clicking and it turned on. Even leaned the head against a door and it showed a faint light ring against the paint - kind of a low low, almost a GITD kind of glow, but the led was plainly on when looking at it. Another member seemed to have the same problem.

So I email illumn and request to return for a refund.

1st reply: Are you able to recreate the issue and have you tried using a different battery?

I said no, only the one battery. And I just tested it again (it was still in the S1) and it's now reading 60 percent.

2nd reply: So it only happened the one time? Does this mean you had only used it once? You did not try removing the battery before storing it?

I said:I have not tried another battery. I just took it out because it's draining my once new battery (100 percent just a couple days ago). It is now at 30 percent.
    I don't want to waste any batteries on this.
    I would like a return label for a refund, and if it's not too much trouble, another fresh CR123A.

3rd reply: This email reply was a link to the customer service ticket - he didn't reply in the email, I had to log in to illumn and then read his reply:

So it only happened the one time? Does this mean you had only used it once? You did not try removing the battery before storing it?

I said: I tried it many times.

Default Re: illumination supply customer service

I'm not sure I understand. Sounds like they're trying to help you do some troubleshooting before everyone involved having to deal with return authorizations, shipping, extra costs, etc. That's a pretty normal step.

Illumn has a very good reputation for dealing fairly with their customers. I'm sure that if you're actually getting sub-standard service (and I'm not sure that you are) then it'll be remedied quickly.

Shame you are not in the UK, a simple matter of getting a refund with no questions asked within 30 days of purchase.Has the US&A not similar consumer laws ?
    Diagnosed with Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. Sounds like they're trying to help you do some troubleshooting before everyone involved having to deal with return authorizations, shipping, extra costs, etc. That's a pretty normal step.

Illumn has a very good reputation for dealing fairly with their customers. I'm sure that if you're actually getting sub-standard service (and I'm not sure that you are) then it'll be remedied quickly.
    So I describe the problem and ask for a return for a refund. They troubleshoot. I reply to questions, and ask for a refund again. They troubleshoot. I reply again.

Seems abby normal to me.
    Last edited by 5S8Zh5; 03-25-2016 at 06:40 AM. Reason: typo

Enlightened

Deleted
    Last edited by MrNeal; 04-09-2016 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNeal View Post
    Sounds like like you are getting " standard " service based on my experience with them. If I have to choose between waiting for Mountain Electronics to restock an item or buying from illum I wait for Richard. I'll not waste anymore of my money or time with what I consider very poor customer service. I know I'll get flack over that statement but oh well it's based on years of trying them and not once being satisfied with the return/replacement/refund policies they use.
    Sorry to hear you seem to be stuck as I have been. Hope it works out for you.
    Thanks.

I would think trying another battery is reasonable. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterg View Post
    I would think trying another battery is reasonable. Why not?
    Because they don't grow on trees?

Flashaholic

Yes. Illumn has a great reputation. It appears that the problem you are having *may* be an emerging bug in some more recent S1s. This may be the first time Craig has had to deal with it and he may be trying to verify that the behavior isn't associated with something other than the light itself. I have worked with this outfit quite a bit and regard them highly. As to your request that he also send you a new battery for your troubles, it seems that you are looking for an excuse to be dissatisfied. Since you have brought this (a bit precipitously) to the attention of an entire forum, it would be really great if you posted a followup on this thread with the ultimate outcome.

For everyone's edification, why don't you try another battery. I doubt it will make a difference but it's cheap troubleshooting. If you end up with a new light from Craig and for some reason he doesn't include a couple of fresh primaries in the shipment, PM me and I'll mail you a couple as a service to CPF.

So it that their policy? If you have a problem that they have never seen and want to return it, you have to troubleshoot that problem by following their step by step before they even consider your request?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    So it that their policy? If you have a problem that they have never seen and want to return it, you have to troubleshoot that problem by following their step by step before they even consider your request?
    I can't honestly speak to their policy but wouldn't it be delightful (and edifying for our friends on this forum) if the troubleshooting yielded a result that didn't require you to mail your light back?

On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place where the bad drivers are.

Ah. The culture of self entitlement. It sounds like they ARE working with you to try and resolve the issue. They are a small company, not a big box store or online "massdrop" retailer. 2 guys and change, basically. More often than you might believe, the problem can be either remedied or resolved with some simple troubleshooting. If not, I'm sure they'll help you out with an RMA like they did for me on a defective TN12.

patience and understanding, friend!

Warmest regards,
    David
    -I am no law abiding citizen. I am merely not a lawbreaker.
    -Guilty until proven innocent.
    -If it can be conceived by humans, then it can be unravelled by humans.

Quote Originally Posted by dc38 View Post
    Ah. The culture of self entitlement. It sounds like they ARE working with you to try and resolve the issue. They are a small company, not a big box store or online "massdrop" retailer. 2 guys and change, basically. More often than you might believe, the problem can be either remedied or resolved with some simple troubleshooting. If not, I'm sure they'll help you out with an RMA like they did for me on a defective TN12.

Warmest regards,
    David

You are making excuses because they are a small company.They are in business to make a profit and to me they are messing,simple refund on goods not fit for purpose is the proper thing to do.
    Diagnosed with Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

It is so frustrating when something like this happens. And while this is a singular problem for you, Illumn is working with numerous flashlight complications from multiple customers, all the time. They have to deal with people who have very low troubleshooting skills, as well as experienced folks. These flashlights are being mass produced in a very competitive environment where costs are minimized as much as possible. And the electronic circuits can be quite small and fairly complicated. A glitch like this is going to happen, and vendors have a right to try to resolve the situation as efficiently as they can. And that involves trouble shooting. It sounds like Illumn is not listening to you as carefully as they should, and that is a mistake. We all make mistakes. Does Illumn offer a 'no questions asked' return policy? Have you read their return policies? Did you do that before your purchase?

I am sorry you are having this frustrating problem. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. Please let us know.

Warmest regards,
    David

I am moving this thread to the /Dealers/ subforum, as it would be a more appropriate place for this discussion than /LED Flashlights/ IMO.
    (Unless the OP wishes to troubleshoot his light here on the forum, in which case discussion about the dealer aspect of this topic is probably less applicable.)

When looking at the various posts here, I would like for participants to keep in mind that this isn't a vendor bashing or Jeers thread.
    IIRC Illumination Supply has a good record in /Cheers/, so I have hopes that this issue will be resolved to the OP's satisfaction.
    Best of luck,

More often than you might believe, the problem can be either remedied or resolved with some simple troubleshooting.
    This would apply if I requested an exchange - in other words, am I am seeking a working S1 Baton? This is not the case. I requested, and reiterated that request three times total, a return for a refund. I no longer trust this (type) of light.
    Last edited by 5S8Zh5; 03-25-2016 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewnewman View Post
    I can't honestly speak to their policy but wouldn't it be delightful (and edifying for our friends on this forum) if the troubleshooting yielded a result that didn't require you to mail your light back?
    You have not comprehended any of my communication with Illumn.

This would apply if I requested an exchange - in other words, am I am seeking a working S1 Baton? This is not the case. I requested, and reiterated that request three times total, a return for a refund. I no longer trust this (type) of light.
    When things don't work right or at all, I'm as critical of the manufacturer or dealer as anybody and then some, but the way I'm reading your complaint, I don't feel the urge to side with you.

If the light is faulty, you are entitled to a full refund and a prepaid return shipping label.
    If your own battery is faulty and the light is fine, but you want to return it still, then YOU pay for the return shipping and any applicable restocking fee.
    You're refusing to take the actions necessary to determine which is the case.
    Imalent, Armytek, Gearbest, and Banggood are still in business for the same reason Logan Paul is still making money.
    Imalent, Failure Imminent.

Quote Originally Posted by scs View Post
    If your own battery is faulty and the light is fine, but you want to return it still, then YOU pay for the return shipping and any applicable restocking fee.
    If in fact that is their policy, and it is stated for all to see and follow. But it is in fact not, so you're making up your own policy based on second hand information.

I don't want anything to do with any S1 Baton. If that means anything to this vendor.

If in fact that is their policy, and it is stated for all to see and follow. But it is in fact not, so you're making up your own policy based on second hand information.

I don't want anything to do with any S1 Baton. If that means anything to this vendor.
    Their return policy actually reads less friendly: customer has to pay return shipping by default, but in actual practice Illumn provides return shipping labels for faulty items.

You don't know if your light is faulty, period. How can you if you are refusing to test it with another battery? You don't need to leave it in there to drain, just see if the light still won't shut off.

Without determining whether the light is faulty, then you're returning the light for reasons of personal preference: you prefer not to "deal" with the light. You prefer not to trust it anymore, working or not.

Well, guess what, return policy says returns for reasons of personal preferences are not considered RMAs.

So you can't even return it now.
    Imalent, Armytek, Gearbest, and Banggood are still in business for the same reason Logan Paul is still making money.
    Imalent, Failure Imminent.

I agree that it is very frustrating to receive something you have been waiting for and have it not work properly. I do think that they seem to be attempting to work with you to troubleshoot to see what the problem is. It seems standard to do that to make sure you are not sending back a light when the battery might be the problem. Surefire has had me do some tests to make sure my tailcap was working, etc. before sending a new one.

If you work with them, I am sure they will take care of you, but unfortunately it will not be instantaneous.

Quote Originally Posted by fresh eddie fresh View Post
    I agree that it is very frustrating to receive something you have been waiting for and have it not work properly. I do think that they seem to be attempting to work with you to troubleshoot to see what the problem is. It seems standard to do that to make sure you are not sending back a light when the battery might be the problem. Surefire has had me do some tests to make sure my tailcap was working, etc. before sending a new one.

If you work with them, I am sure they will take care of you, but unfortunately it will not be instantaneous.
    Tried another battery and the same low low light when clicked off shows.

Default illumination supply customer service

I dunno. I usually like to determine the issue before righting off the light. I had a defective zebralight from illumn.com. It was a weird intermittent issue. I did a bunch of troubleshooting and even took a video since it was a weird issue that was hard to predict. I contacted them and they sent me a replacement right away. I had a new functioning light in a few days (a miracle since I'm in Canada). They were responsive and took care of my return shipping.

They are a good Company. How about you try working with them a bit then proceeding? It's not unusual to try a different battery (yes I know they are not cheap). But it's kind of common sense.

Edit : I see now you just tried a new battery. Cool. Just work with them and you can return your light.
    Last edited by gunga; 03-25-2016 at 11:43 AM.

A&Q Moderator

Because they don't grow on trees?
    Gosh I think those people were just trying to help. In anycase I did use their CS twice. Once I got a refund when wanted an exchange (bummer), the other time I troubleshooted the problem myself and told them not to worry about it. I find they ship fast and responded to my concerns so they continue to get my biz but to each their own. I hope things work out for you.
    Last edited by Woods Walker; 03-25-2016 at 01:02 PM.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Flashaholic

Why so angry? It's just a flashlight. We were only trying to assist. You seem to want to use this forum to get some sort of validation that you've been wronged. I'm not sure if the responses satisfied that need but I still wish you the best. Craig's return policies (as others have stated) do not stipulate an RMA for "changed my mind, want my money back". Perhaps he'll offer it anyway (he's a nice guy). Even if that isn't in the cards, there are still ways he can make this transaction right but I suspect they won't meet your rigid requirements. Too bad.

Tried another battery and the same low low light when clicked off shows.
    Where did you source another battery from?
    Maratac AAA Rev5, AAA Cu Rev4, AAA Brass Rev4 ][ Lumintop Tool Cu, Tool Ti, Worm SS ][ Fenix E05 v1, LD12 ][ Olight S2, i3E EOS

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
    Where did you source another battery from?
    A new never used Surefire.

Flashaholic*

I don't own any of the S1 lights in black(aluminum).
    I've got 8 of the copper, brass, or titanium lights. All have been flawless. Not saying you can't get a dud.
    I'd suggest cleaning the threads then apply some lubricant. If you're still having a problem, send it back.

Two of my S1's came from Illumn. Same with a few dozen Sanyo GA's.

Craig and Illumn ship faster from the west coast than I get from most east coast or midwest dealers.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

I am sure that it will all work out in the long run. Craig is excellent to deal with and will make it right.
    A word to the wise, you can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar. Be patient and polite and you will make out just fine.

Flies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast