PK FL2 Arrived Missing Lens Gasket! Can I Get a Replacement Anywhere??? RESOLVED!!

1pt21

Enlightened
Hey CPF Community,

I've always wanted to own a PK light, but never really knew where to source one (or could I afford it LOL). So anyway I found a source and decided to finally spoil myself with my tax return money.

Well I just opened it and fired her up only to hear a tapping sound every time I moved the light around. Sure enough it is the glass lens moving/rattling around in the bezel. First I thought it was just loose so I tried tightening it up (that sucker is sharp, it actually left little cuts like paper cuts on my fingers!), but that did nothing. So I removed the bezel ring and discovered that there is no gasket under there.

Now I know I can make a warranty claim, or sit here and complain that a $100 flashlight should be perfect upon arrival BUT: a) I don't feel like going through all of that warranty claim hassle for a $0.50 gasket and b) Hey lets be real, stuff happens; the light is functionally perfect (and a work of art).

So long story short, does anyone know where I can get this gasket? I'm assuming its a flat rubber gasket just like the SF bezels have, but I don't really know. If nobody knows where I can get one can someone with an FL2 help me out and let me know the type of gasket and dimensions so I can look for one? The bezel ring comes off very easily, but be careful it is SHARP...

I just want to put this baby to work and see what she can do!!!

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!!! :twothumbs

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PK FL2 Arrived Missing Lens Gasket! Can I Get a Replacement Anywhere???

How about emailing PK Design Labs and asking them to mail one to you directly? Their website is www.PKDesignlabs.com
You could check with Oveready also. I just took the bezel off my FL2 to see if it was an "O" ring or a flat gasket like the Malkoff VME head. It appears to be a standard "O" ring...I have every confidence that PK will make it right for you.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Pm me your address and I'll stick one from a solarforce (and a band aid) in an envelope tomorrow. I tested it and it'll do until the real McCoy arrives.

In the meantime contact PK Lab Designs 'cause I'm sure he'd like to know one got out like that.

1pt21

Enlightened

OK, I'll shoot out an email. Thanks for the link Crazyeddie!

byk, you have a PM coming.. Thanks a lot bud, you're the one that found the light for me after all!! HAHA, and here you are to the rescue again. I owe you one :thumbsup:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

OK, I'll shoot out an email. Thanks for the link Crazyeddie!

byk, you have a PM coming.. Thanks a lot bud, you're the one that found the light for me after all!! HAHA, and here you are to the rescue again. I owe you one :thumbsup:

Eh, help out a widow neighbor or something... that's how you can pay me back. Besides...
I talked you into a $100 flashlight you didn't need. :eek:

You weren't kidding about that sharp bezel. And PK wasn't joking about gripping it with bloody hands. lol.

Well, other than the rattle, how'd you like it?

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Bykfixer,
Thanks so much for the solution for 1PT121!
I too was amazed at the damage to my hands from just the pressure it took to remove the bezel. I always knew it would be an excellent defensive tool, but I am really impressed!

1pt21

Enlightened

Well, other than the rattle, how'd you like it?

I've only toyed around with it inside, because I just know the 1st time I take it out with the lens like this I'll drop it and crack the lens LOL.

With that said I LOVE it. I know it's been discussed around the forums a ton, but I'll list my likes anyway.. Since you asked :candle:

- The built in "Mini Grip Ring" is amazing. I prefer a cigar style hold with these lights and it suits this perfectly without being huge and in the way.

- Very grippy as a whole, though I'm sure I'll drop it. Never drop my cheap SolarForces, yet after years of wanting a SF M6 I unintentionally acquired a Cross Hair M6. Dropped it bezel down the first day i took it outside..........

- Literally looks like a piece of art, yet functional in every aspect of the word

- High-Low spacing near perfection, high is bright as all get out! (not even sure of the lumen rating)

- Wall of light that manages to still throw quite a bit (still have to take her outside for the real test)

- Forward (2 level) Clicky..

- PK engraving is just epic to finally hold one in my hand, love the fonts used

- Little things like the PK engraved inside of the tailcap underneath the spring, COOL!

- Knowing I own one light out of only 1000 made & the number being printed on the light (I got 506/1000)

- Jesus that bezel ring... SHARP like I've never seen before, definitely don't want to take that to the forehead

- And perhaps the most liked factor; I own a light designed, produced and released for sale by the man/the legend himself :cool:

Dislikes:

- I'm a tint snob, it's a very cold color temp (hint of blue actually)

- CR123 primaries only, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!!! I'd love to slap a 16650 or 2 RCR's in there!

- No lanyard attachment

- Having to fight the desire to make it a Shelf Queen

I don't regret the purchase one bit.

Anyway going to shoot an email to PK Design Labs as soon as I hit "Submit Reply", I'll let you all know how that goes in the end on this thread.

Again if anyone knows if I can run rechargeables in here PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Even if it has to be those 3v RCR's (I run them in my G2X and Z2X no problem, buuuut they're much cheaper lights and technically different manufacturers).

Thanks again everyone!!!

1pt21

Enlightened

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

- CR123 primaries only, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!!! I'd love to slap a 16650 or 2 RCR's in there!

Thanks for sharing your impression. Sorry for the missing lens gasket. I ordered one recently, and looking forward to get it!

Yes; you are at least a bit wrong, check this review out: ;)
I don't know regarding RCR123, though.

http://flashlightguide.com/2014/06/review-pk-design-lab-pk-fl2-le/

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened

Holy CR@P!!

This issue seems to be a blessing in disguise. Less than one hour after sending the email regarding the issue (after 3am EST btw, I work a mid-shift in NYC and live in NJ) I received an email from Paul Kim HIMSELF!!!!!

He has asked for my info and stated that replacement parts will be sent out ASAP.

You know what, at this age in my life I have realized that it is worth it to spend a little extra dough to receive top top top notch Customer Service. After so many crappy experiences lately with vendors (even within the US) it's something you take for granted.

I'm speechless right now, however I will continue to keep this thread updated on how the process plays out. I have no doubt we will see a happy ending for all ;)

PK Design Labs is most likely looking at a (first time) customer gained for life.....

1pt21

Enlightened

Thanks for sharing your impression. Sorry for the missing lens gasket. I ordered one recently, and looking forward to get it!

Yes; you are at least a bit wrong, check this review out: ;)
I don't know regarding RCR123, though.

http://flashlightguide.com/2014/06/review-pk-design-lab-pk-fl2-le/

Man after all of this, to find out I can use my 16650's safely. I'm just speechless (In God We Trust indeed). It's a damn shame that there's only 1000 of these to go around, as I'm sure the next time I can afford one (or two LOL) they will be long gone..

Lets hope there's more semi-affordable PK lights in the future.. Long Live PK!

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know. I have number 148 and my tailcap is different from the later ones..it doesn't have the pk logo underneath and the spring is different..

Glad to hear pk himself is raking care of the matter. I figured that's how it would go down..I have been carrying mine everyday and love using it!

1pt21

Enlightened

Hey CPF Crew,

Just wanted to make it aware that this issue has been resolved and than some by the man himself, PK!

I'd like to give a shout-out to both bykfixer (for sending me the temp o-ring, wife loved the band-aid BTW, she said I must save it for the next time she gets a paper cut LOL) AND Crazyeddiethefirst for recommending that I contact PK Design Lab (something I never would have done without your advise).

It was a humbling experience to actually be in comms with PK I must admit (I know I sound like a Fan Boy LOL), but he went above and beyond to make things right. I will post some pics when I have time (if the MODS decide to leave this thread open) of how he BLEW AWAY any Customer Service experience I have ever received in my life out of the water.

If you have any trepidation's to spend the $$$ on a PK product, I highly recommend that you throw it out the window and save for an extra few weeks/months/whatever to purchase his products (in my case it was years). He stands behind his products 110%

Just to make it clear for you guys, PK was out of the country, on other work and still responded to me within a day. Parts were received, hand packed from him just to make things right (from across the ocean in less than a week).

Man, all I can say is this has certainly been a lesson in "You Get What You Pay For"..... My entire outlook on spending (what to me is big $$ on a light) has entirely changed. What is a company without good Customer Service????? He has single-handedly made up for the crappy CS I have recently received from some companies recently.

OK, I think that's enough praise to get my point across to the forums.

bykfixer & Crazyeddiethefirst you will have a PM coming from me soon, please keep an eye out.

Thanks once again CPF :grouphug:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

So glad it worked out for you. You really do get what you pay for, pay cheaply - pay twice.
A heartwarming story that's cheered me up. For PK and the guys on here that helped.
P

pk

Photon King
Hey CPF Crew, … It was a humbling experience to actually be in comms with PK I must admit (I know I sound like a Fan Boy LOL), but he went above and beyond to make things right. I will post some pics when I have time (if the MODS decide to leave this thread open) of how he BLEW AWAY any Customer Service experience I have ever received in my life out of the water…:
Glad to hear your satisfaction. I am at your service.
Sorry for quality issue experience.:ohgeez:

You know. I have number 148 and my tailcap is different from the later ones..it doesn't have the pk logo underneath and the spring is different..
You can almost think of my products are Prototypes. I did modify 3 times on FL2LE 1k limited version during making of batches. :shakehead:shakehead I did same at SF and production guys hated me keep changing.. I guess that's me and continue to be. If I see any better way to do, I must change it.

…I needed one as well…
I needed one as well +1 :D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Man oh man, that's pretty cool. So it sounds like there are 3 slightly different versions.

I'll take a closer look at a mine to see if they were built in final configuration or one of the 2 original ideas.

Last edited:

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear your satisfaction. I am at your service.
Sorry for quality issue experience.:ohgeez:

You can almost think of my products are Prototypes. I did modify 3 times on FL2LE 1k limited version during making of batches. :shakehead:shakehead I did same at SF and production guys hated me keep changing.. I guess that's me and continue to be. If I see any better way to do, I must change it.

I needed one as well +1 :D

Hey, no problem from me..my number 148 is one of my most used lights these days. I love it. Great on 16650s. I have the utmost confidence in that light. Thanks for the reply PK!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Got out my stashed FL2's to see if any had the early configurations mentioned.
Turns out they were built the same.

Reason I posted was because I noticed that when handling a brand spanking unused one my fingers quickly felt like they'd been sanded.

My user used to do that. I thought my fingers had toughened. Instead it seems either those cnc'd edges polish to kinder/gentler with use (as in the coating over the body) or mine has a microscopic layer of my skin has been surgically removed by said cnc'd edges and now coats #842 reducing the feeling my philanges have been sanded.

Either way I was just noticing although no loss in positive grip has been observed, it seems the body becomes less abrasive to fingers over time.