FOURSEVENS Preon P1 Copper on Massdrop

wolfstyle

Enlightened
Just saw this too. I think it will easily reach the $59 price. Only 100 lumens though. Would like to see what Vinh could do with it.

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
Can a person get much more than 100 on a AAA without going to lithium ion? I agree though, A vinh special would be awesome in copper because it would probably get toasty :rock:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't care for the patterns on it. I like the concentric rings like the head and tail have, and I don't really mind the spiral cut on the battery tube, but I don't know why they'd choose to mix-n-match them like that. Pick one or the other, either one really but I'd prefer the concentric circles, but not both.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't care for the patterns on it. I like the concentric rings like the head and tail have, and I don't really mind the spiral cut on the battery tube, but I don't know why they'd choose to mix-n-match them like that. Pick one or the other, either one really but I'd prefer the concentric circles, but not both.

I was interested until I saw it uses an unspecified XP-L and the patterns are mismatched, a bit disconcerting.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The unspecified xpl can be assumed to be some cool white emitter. This is 47s after all. I can live with that, even though I agree it's not ideal. But the mismatched patterns are messing with me

gunga

Flashaholic
Good eye. I did not notice the pattern mix. I don't think the low level is low enough for me anyways but that mix of patterns is just odd.

jeepchic55

Newly Enlightened

I didn't even notice the inconsistent pattern the first time I saw this. That would bug me.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly looks like cool white to me, and likely is since it is unspecified. Between that and the pattern mismatch I'm no longer interested.
img_comment%2FAb7So2tlSYicjrSoTLTY_MD-17466_20160330135308_2ed1928d926a41bb%20(1).jpg

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Doesn't the stock aluminum new P1 also have concentric ribs on the head and tailcap, and a spiral on the body? That's what it looks like in the pics on Foursevens web site. Just didn't notice that was the case until I saw the copper version on massdrop. The pattern stands out more on the copper somehow.

Anyway, as much as I *want* to like this light for the aesthetics and the cool clip and the forward clicky... the UI isn't right for me. Either it always starts on high, or there are strobe modes in the main sequence. Neither of which is my cup of tea.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the regular one does have the spiral, but it is out of place on the copper.
That was my other complaint, they don't have a good UI, no L-M-H which seems a bit odd.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
That was my other complaint, they don't have a good UI, no L-M-H which seems a bit odd.

Yeah, if one of the configs was L-M-H (sans disco), I would have purchased an alum version by now.

However, with the forward clicky on this light, I would have liked a more unique UI wherein it acts like a single-mode light until you quickly flash it on-off-on-off-etc. a certain number of times within a certain number of seconds -- for example 3 times within 1 second -- and that triggers a mode change. So if it's in low and you want medium, just soft-press the clicky 3 times quickly from off. If it's in low and you want high, do it 6 times within 2 seconds. You should be able to get to any L-M-H mode within 2 seconds, and the procedure is not hard to remember or execute.

Of course, my UI concept falls apart if you *have* to include fast strobe, slow strobe, beacon, and SOS in the sequence. Which is, apparently, a thing. Or if you're one of the handful of people in the world who use their light to communicate via morse code. Or, I suppose, if you can't stand mode memory.

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
I like it despite the pattern not matching.

I wonder if they have worked out the bad clicky issue.

I am gun shy on the this light but if the clicky is good I would jump on.

sticktodrum

Enlightened
I didn't even realize it had a different UI than the previous Preon.

Last edited:

Latest posts