LED Maplight

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a source for LED maplights. Can anyone give any good URLs.

mrme

Enlightened
I have thought about making an LED maplight, but have decided not to. When driving at night, a nice gentle yellow light is all I want. The last thing I want is some tightly focused, brillant glare on the windows.

But, I am sure it has been done. Auto parts stores are starting to carry LED bulbs that plug into normal sockets.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Galls and Botach carry a type of maplight, sold for use in patrol cars, IIRC. Not sure if they were LED or not, but my guess would be no. It might be worth looking into.

-Mike

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the suggestions. I looked at the previous posts of the "Mapasaurus" but I have been unable to contact the person that made them. I have an unmarked squad car and was recently issued at a Panasonic CF-28 lap-top computer for the car. I would like a red LED head on about an 18" goose neck. That way I could illuminate the keyboard at night. The typical light from Federal Signal is incandescent. I have looked at Galls, but I need to look at Botach. Most of the interior light we have in squad cars underwhelm me. Maybe I am asking too much, but I just want to light up the keyboard, but not totally light up the whole interior.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a SL clipmate? I have a Nuwai knockoff version of the clipmate, and it works well enough in the car for me. I clip it onto the sun visor, and I can direct the light anywhere I want. I'm using the 2 White Led version, and thats pretty bright for night time already. I think Nuwai makes them in single red Leds as well. Otherwise the would the Quiglite do the job?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
JAS said:
I have an unmarked squad car and was recently issued at a Panasonic CF-28 lap-top computer for the car. I would like a red LED head on about an 18" goose neck. That way I could illuminate the keyboard at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a white LED lamp on a flexible stem that plugs into the USB port of a laptop to illuminate the keyboard. I've only seen them with white LEDs, but it wouldn't be difficult to filter it or retrofit it with another LED. Check around at the local computer store and you'll probably find it, often in the "impulse buy" area near the checkout.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have looked into that. However, the docking station that the lap-top slides into does not allow access to the USB port.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello JAS,

Another consideration would be the QuigLight. I am not sure how you would rig it up, but it provides a low level of light that would be suitable for lighting up a keyboard. It is designed to mount in your shirt pocket and give you enough light to write a ticket. You should also understand that it automatically shuts off after about 5 minutes.

Tom

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still looking for the best LED light for me and I have narrowed to the following:

- Kensington Flylight with Red LED

- IOGear 8 LED-flexible USB light

- Littlite L-6/18 LED

How important do you guys think having red LEDs vs. white LEDs is for reading a lap-top computer in the car? Both the IO Gear and the Kensington are reasonably priced. Either one can be shipped to the door for under $20. I like the Kensington because it is inexpensive and has a red LED. I like the IO Gear becasue it is inexpensive, has a switch, and allows a choice of 4 or 8 LEDs. The Littlite is $70, but looks like it might be better built. It uses four red LEDs and six white LEDs. What do you guys think?

LightScene

Enlightened
The IO Gear light is nice, but what holds it in place?

A single red led is plenty for reading the keyboard. The illumination from the screen is nearly enough already. In fact, I have a red Infinity suspended about 2 feet over my keyboard right now. With no other illumination in the room, it is plenty bright. Without the Infinity, it is legible, but dull.
I would go for the Kensington, unless you can figure out how to suspend the IO Gear over the keyboard.