"Dry" 6P button?

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I searched but I'm guessing I don't have the right search terms.

I have a NIB 6P here, and the button on it looks and feels much "drier" than on my other one. It's got a whitish-grey appearance, and the rubber itself feels less "springy" than the other.

Is this going to crack or degrade on down the line, or is it a non-issue? Also, if it's something I can replace, where would one source that part?

Thanks!

ETA - I'll roll in a photo when I get a chance.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
I noticed the change myself and wondered the same question? I'm guessing it is either due to a material change (reformulation) due to newer chemistries or unfortunately maybe cost savings. Doesn't really bother me either way as I tend to bet its for our benefit and not our detriment. But,..........?

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
I noticed the change myself and wondered the same question? I'm guessing it is either due to a material change (reformulation) due to newer chemistries or unfortunately maybe cost savings. Doesn't really bother me either way as I tend to bet its for our benefit and not our detriment. But,..........?
My "dry" one's SN is only 2200 units higher than the other one (both purchased new from same eBay seller), so I guess it's possible it's a change. I just didn't know if, since it's new-old stock, that perhaps it was simply from being in the packaging for however long it has been.

It's not a big deal, and from messing around with it, I believe the underside of the rubber cover is somewhat sticky, which is making it feel less springy. It functions just fine, and the button itself feels just like the other. Just was curious about the cover.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Even if it is NIB, it might have spent some time sitting around before you got it. Sometimes a good clue to when your Surefire was made is to check the batteries they came with... subtract ten years from the expiration and it will give you a vague idea.

If the tailcap is unusable, call Surefire Customer Service and I'm sure they will be able to help you out (likely send you a new one, if it is defective).

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
Even if it is NIB, it might have spent some time sitting around before you got it. Sometimes a good clue to when your Surefire was made is to check the batteries they came with... subtract ten years from the expiration and it will give you a vague idea.

If the tailcap is unusable, call Surefire Customer Service and I'm sure they will be able to help you out (likely send you a new one, if it is defective).
Well, like I said, it's new-old stock, and sitting around in the package for a few years crossed my mind. This and the other one both have batts saying 2019 exp. date (with the older appearance with all the writing), so I know these lights sat around a little while, but the first one I got last week had been opened. This one hadn't, so I did consider whether being sealed in the package may have made a difference.

Either way, the light is totally usable, and I'm not a stickler about that sort of thing anyway. I really just wasn't sure if it was aesthetic, or potentially weaker. I'll use it and see what happens, it's not filling any particularly important roles anyway.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had one that was partially open due to plastic being brittle. (One of those with 019 expire on the batteries). It had a wee bit of a dry look. I figured that perhaps it was a display and lighting had caused it)
Igave it a gentle rub with some silicone grease for automotive gaskets and moldings and it looks new now.

The newer one is noticably darker.

Last edited:

Frdlite

Newly Enlightened
I bought one from the bay that came with the same with a grayish or whitish look.I have been using it for about 6 month now and the grayish look went away has not cracked or worn so maybe they did change the material.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Rubber does this over time - think about how your car's tires go as they get old. I've used Nyogel 760G in the past to freshen up old rubber boots - just use a really small amount and rub it off with a cloth.

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the info, guys!

I'll try the silicone grease, and see how it goes.

Also, side question (so I don't have to post a whole new thread for a yes or no question), anyone happen to know if an EB1 tactical cap will work on a clicky EB2? I assume yes?

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Also, side question (so I don't have to post a whole new thread for a yes or no question), anyone happen to know if an EB1 tactical cap will work on a clicky EB2? I assume yes?

My guess is that it will work, but the functionality might not work the same. If the new ones are anything like the older models, the tactical tail models (low for low, hard press for high) have the levels built into the tail, and the head is a single level head. A dual level clicky has the modes built into the head (press once for one mode, again for the other) and the tail merely completes the circuit to trigger this. If it is the same, the high low tail even if pressed hard the first time will only go from very low to low mode. On a second press it will go from low to high.

Of course, this is all based on my older Surefires, so the whole ballgame may have changed by now. :)

sgt253

Enlightened
I had a brand new in package L1 that exhibited the same condition. Batteries said expire in 2017. Light made ~ 2007.Through use the "chalkiness" went away. It functioned perfectly with and without the "chalkiness". I would suspect yours will be just fine.