Easy Reversable Clicky to Momentary Switch Mod

Sidecarist

Newly Enlightened
This is for all those that wish there forward clicky switches weren't so easy to lock on, but don't want to permanently modify the switch for momentary only operation.

You will need some 3/8" heat shrink tube, and the tools to disassemble your tail cap switch, and a heat source to shrink the tubing.

I used GB brand tubing from my hardware store. Its important that you DON'T use tubing with glue, or sealant on the inside so you don't ruin your switch.

First disassemble the switch from the tail cap I used fine point needle nose pliers to loosen the nut. You should have the nut, the switch on a board with a spring, a steel washer, and the rubber boot.

I used the tail cap as a stand to make it easier to work on. Like this...

1.jpg

Cut 2 pieces of the tubing for me they needed to be about 0.2" long. Cut them as square as possible.

2.jpg

Put the steel washer over the switch FIRST! Then put one piece of tubing on like this.

3.jpg

Shrink this carefully being careful not to melt the switch, tubing or anything else. It is important that the tubing stay tight against the washer. I found it helped to use the tip of the pliers to hold it down when shrinking it.

Repeat with the second piece of tubing.

When you are done it should look like this.
4.jpg

By changing the length of the tubing slightly, you can change how hard it is to lock the switch on. The one in the photo can only be locked on if I use the very tip of my finger. The pad of my thumb won't do it. If I want to remove it I can simply slide it off. It took me 3 tries to get the action I wanted.

The switch in the photos is from a Nitecore MT series light.

I hope that you may find this helpful and Good Luck!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A great example of the ingenuity and generosity of candlepowerforums members. Thanks for a solution to an issue I'm sure some flashlight folks will want to try out. This probably would make clicked-on accidental activation less likely.

Sidecarist

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. Several members of this forum have been helpful to me and I'm glad to share what I learn!

Yes the idea of this is to reduce the chances of accidentally clicking on. I use my EDC light only rarely clicked on. I still want that option if I really need it, but most of my needs are for just a moment and I don't want to worry about it.

This costs almost nothing, and is completely reversible/adjustable if you don't like it.