Need help in choosing a battery

carnage

Enlightened
I just purchase a Fenix PD35 TAC light. Which battery should i use 18650 or cr123A, protected or not, and which brand?

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Need help in chuusing a battery

Keeppower or Orbtronic 3500mah 10amp GA protected. CR123's have less than half the capacity of the GA 18650 but drive the light harder for roughly a minute or two before the cells buckle under voltage sag. The GA cell has very low internal resistance and at max output doesnt even break a sweat with very little or no voltage sag. The GA cell has stellar capacity for an 18650 its 10amp capability feeds the light as much as it needs also without breaking a sweat. The TAC gets pretty hot run at max for extended periods so a protected cell is just safer even though the light is very well regulated. The Keeppower and Orbtronic 3500mah GA cells are roughly $13-$15 each depending on where you get them. There currently is no better cell for the TAC available that I am aware of. You will get the max performance the light is capable of with this cell. Of course the TAC has timed regulation it steps down regardless of power source or how hot the light is or is not. Just turn the light off and on again and you will be back to turbo. Dont skimp on the charger. Do you have a good charger?

carnage

Enlightened
Keeppower or Orbtronic 3500mah 10amp GA protected. CR123's have less than half the capacity of the GA 18650 but drive the light harder for roughly a minute or two before the cells buckle under voltage sag. The GA cell has very low internal resistance and at max output doesnt even break a sweat with very little or no voltage sag. The GA cell has stellar capacity for an 18650 its 10amp capability feeds the light as much as it needs also without breaking a sweat. The TAC gets pretty hot run at max for extended periods so a protected cell is just safer even though the light is very well regulated. The Keeppower and Orbtronic 3500mah GA cells are roughly $13-$15 each depending on where you get them. There currently is no better cell for the TAC available that I am aware of. You will get the max performance the light is capable of with this cell. Of course the TAC has timed regulation it steps down regardless of power source or how hot the light is or is not. Just turn the light off and on again and you will be back to turbo. Dont skimp on the charger. Do you have a good charger?
Thanks for the reply! Can i use the same Orbtronic battery in the fenix hp12 headlamp, and what does the GA stand for? As far as the charger I don't own one. I was reading on the this forum that Xtar make a good one, any suggestion on any brand would be appreciated. My main concern with chargers is safety, not over charging, and reliable.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

As CC said, 18650 all the way!

Xtar make excellent chargers, lots of variety to suit budget,if no plans on using more cells,single or dual bay...............think ahead and if more planned(more than likely if on here) then maybe a 4 bay charger would be better long term imo:)

carnage

Enlightened

As CC said, 18650 all the way!Xtar make excellent chargers, lots of variety to suit budget,if no plans on using more cells,single or dual bay...............think ahead and if more planned(more than likely if on here) then maybe a 4 bay charger would be better long term imo:)
Thanks for the reply! Is there a certain model I should look at?

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not arguing with anybody. In my opinion, purchase a protected 18650 battery and a Nitecore D2 battery charger to charge your Orbtronic, 3400mAh, 5A batteries to run your Fenix PD35 TAC light.

ven

Flashaholic

Thanks for the reply! Is there a certain model I should look at?

All things considered and not a high demand light(compared to many) i have no reason not to go for what CC suggests, more than enough at 10a and a reassuring 3500mah to fall back on............sanyo or LG versions(sure pany do one too) would all make a good choice. Not the cheapest but still cheap enough...............great balance of performance/run time. Its still a small investment which will last you years, having a great light to start with.............may as well run it on super unleaded over unleaded fuel............every little helps.

Want to save a few $'s. look at the 3400mah cells, pany inside, many brands on the outside. I am a fan of KeepPower overall for value...........
LG/Samsung/Sanyo/Panasonic/Sony are all good.............

I like the samsung 30Q(tad overkill) but not stopped me using them in lights that dont need a continuous 15a............its there for maybe a modded light in the future(never discount as minds change);), good all round cell again and cheaper...........unless your going to really use them down in the V, most just top off so kind of wasted the extra mah in some cases.......check mtn electronics for well priced cells.

Welcome:thumbsup:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

just read HKJ's review on the unprotected LG 3500mah 10amp. I do not know of anyone re wrapping the LG cell into a protected package but HKJ says the cell gets too hot. My lights I have the GA cells in get hot enough as it is so Ill pass on the LG. Best value are Keeppower 3400mah NCR18650B cells. I remember when they were $18 a cell can now be had for under $10. Your best performer is still the GA.

Chargers. OP do you think you may purchase some NiMH AA lights in the future? If not then the Xtar VP2 is cheap and very accurate but only charges lithium ion cells. Xtar VC2 and VC4 are excellent multi chemistry chargers you can literally charge almost any rechargeable round battery in them. They are also pretty accurate. VP2 will be the cheapest the VC chargers can cost twice as much depending on where you get them from.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are also pretty accurate. VP2 will be the cheapest the VC chargers can cost twice as much depending on where you get them from.

The XTAR VP2 charger of which I have two are more costly than the VC2, but worth the price. They charge from 3.0 volts to 4.35 volts at levels from .25mAh, .50mAh, and 1000mAh or 1 amp. :thumbsup:

Edit: The VP2 does not support Ni-MH batteries. :caution:

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast

​I am a big fan of Sure Fire's CR123's, and they ARE the ONLY CR123 I buy.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire CR123's indeed come out of the same factory as the 1550mah Panasonic and Duracell CR123's and indeed are well made but lower capacity. Still 5 or 6 bucks for two at Lowes is a pretty good deal. CR123's will indeed drive the TAC harder than a GA cell for about a minute maybe two then they buckle under voltage sag dropping output. They made my TAC get very hot much faster than the GA I have in it now. I always thought the VP2 was cheaper than a VC2? Interesting...

carnage

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys! I think i'm going with the Xtar VC4 for the charger like ven said think ahead and Orbtronic for the batteries. Will the Orbtronic 18650 fit the Fenix HP12 or the Zebralight headlamp?

carnage

Enlightened

Surefire CR123's indeed come out of the same factory as the 1550mah Panasonic and Duracell CR123's and indeed are well made but lower capacity. Still 5 or 6 bucks for two at Lowes is a pretty good deal. CR123's will indeed drive the TAC harder than a GA cell for about a minute maybe two then they buckle under voltage sag dropping output. They made my TAC get very hot much faster than the GA I have in it now. I always thought the VP2 was cheaper than a VC2? Interesting...
You keep on mentioning GA cell, what does GA stand for? Newbie here.

ven

Flashaholic

GA not sure exactly what it stands for, there are PF's for an example which are 2900mah so part of the cell code. Pany BD's which are 3200mah...........

The GA are 10a 3500mah cells..........sure someone will be able to add more!

;)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

GA is just their alphabetic end to the Sony core cell designation NCR18650GA which is the 3500mah 10amp unprotected cell most current 3500mah 10amp protected cells are based on. Just easier to say GA than NCR18650GA. Other examples are most protected 3400mah cells are based on the Panasonic NCR18650B cell. It is Panasonic/Sony's way of designating their 18650 cells. Other manufacturers are similar usually. Far as I know GA just means that...GA.

carnage

Enlightened

GA is just their alphabetic end to the Sony core cell designation NCR18650GA which is the 3500mah 10amp unprotected cell most current 3500mah 10amp protected cells are based on. Just easier to say GA than NCR18650GA. Other examples are most protected 3400mah cells are based on the Panasonic NCR18650B cell. It is Panasonic/Sony's way of designating their 18650 cells. Other manufacturers are similar usually. Far as I know GA just means that...GA.
Thanks for the explanation!

Latest posts