whats a good soldrering iron

raggie33

*the raggedier*
id prefare something cheap.i realy dont know how to solder yet?also what solder should i use?i think i asked this beofre but forgot what advice was given

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i hope so i hope they fix what ever the problem is. i dont mid if it goes out at night so i can at least play with my lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
radioshack has a cheap starter kit you can learn with.
if you start doing a lot of modding you may find it lacking though.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, if you are soldering only small wires and component leads then a fine tipped, 15 - 30 watt iron should work. As snakebite suggested, try an RS kit with instructions and practice on a junk circuit board. RS also has an inexpensive desoldering iron with a squeeze bulb that's good for removing board mounted items. Solder wick or a solder sucker and a regular iron does that too.

Although it's best to begin with a cheap, plug-in type, one of my favorite irons for small, quick, jobs is a WAHL IsoTip portable, battery powered unit. A variety of easily replaceable tips can solder tiny SMDs to 12ga. wire. One model is rechargeable and another one accepts "C" cells.

Eric_M

Enlightened
Weller has a good iron that's pretty reasonable. They're usually at most hardware stores.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
BF Hammer said:
Here's your previous thread from September 2003. I remembered answering it.

Soldering questions

[/ QUOTE ]
yep thats it i tryied search but didnt type in right word. lol i still have that solder or what ever it is lol.i can solder with it but the solder iron i have is like 1 buck and its awefull its very lose even after tighting all screws.cant wait to try it with real solder and a real iron. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif