Marmot electroluminescent Jacket

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
I got my latest Backpacker magazine today. It was their annual gear guide issue. As usual, I started with the lights section. In the "future items" section, they talked about a Marmot jacket that will be out by this fall that will be battery powered electroluminescent. That could be pretty interesting. Course suggested uses are to read a book by jacket light, or find your way down a trail, or be easily spotted by search and rescue. They also thought it would be even better to eventually start seeing this put right into a tent. Now that would be a cool tent light!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Electroluminescent uses high voltage high frequency AC, so I'd avoid getting it wet while it's turned on, and you're using it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

ROYALTO

Newly Enlightened
I saw a picture of the jacket in outside magazine today. It had a panel one each arm near the elbows and on the back of the hood. They didnt show the front but I'm sure there will be panels there also.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Article and pic

[ QUOTE ]
And it's unlikely that the company will stop at mountaineering jackets, they've already recognised that the technology has the potential to spawn a whole range of outdoors products, from biking gear to children's safety wear.

It sounds intriguing and we can't wait to have a look at the prototype jacket when they show it off with the rest of their 2004 range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kristofg

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
Electroluminescent uses high voltage high frequency AC, so I'd avoid getting it wet while it's turned on, and you're using it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I decorated my backpack which I often use on my bike with EL panels and it's great to improve visibility, but you have to be really carefull with water seeping in. The power os too little to do any real damage, but the feeling is close to those muscle stimulators on full power which they sell on tv. It's no problem during the ride, but I've felt it a few times when I want to disconnect the gear with wet fingers.