How long can I run computer with out fan?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keeping this short. I'm only using my computer in short spurts, half hour. My fan is no longer spinning properly on my motherboard. It spin very slow, unless I push down on it a little, then it goes back to a fast RPM. How long can I run this sucker without killing my machine. Any easy quick way to fix it? The company I bought it from has virtually no tech support. I guess I'll have to buy a new fan to fix this, but if some computer expert has an easy quick fix for me, please add it here. Or temp fix while I try to get through on tech support and email. I'll probably check this again tomorrow. BTW, to clarify, this is NOT the fan on my CPU, this one is on the mother board. I think it's the math coprocessor? Not sure. I'm using an AMD. Thanks.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
if its on cpu . id say like 5 minutes they need to disapate a lot of heat. as said above if its the chipset some chipsets dont even have a fan. but id still say replace it my pc is overclcoked to hect and back so i had to add a north bridge cooler oppps re read post i see its the chipset cooler id say youre fine unl;ess as said above ya overclcok

Empath

Flashaholic
WD40 and duct tape are the only essential tools. If it should move but doesn't, WD40 it. If it shouldn't move but does, then duct tape it.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. If you say I don't have to worry about the fan I guess I'll keep my computer on for longer stretches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I already took the label off and examined the fan. It's not that it's not lubed, somehow the blades are lifting off the bearings while they spin and no longer have proper contact with them. I think the motor is spinning at max RPM, but the blades just aren't connected anymore. It's only spinning at all because the rod it's supported on is spinning so fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on how risk adverse you are.

If it runs any more than five minutes without the fan you risk, damaging your CPU, or damaging a soldered on chip on your mother board, or you begin to corrupt your memory, and possibly your hard drive.

If the fan is not needed, such as internal case air flow and low ambient temperature, you can run for ever without it.

It depends...

-Bill

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not the CPU. I would not be online if it were the CPU. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's another chip on the motherboard. DrJ called it the northbridge. I'll take his word. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh crap, I just heard an ugly *crunk* noise from my case. Still working though....

raggie33

*the raggedier*
do you by chance know who makes youre mobo and do you know what speed ya cpu is at.and memory speed?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sinjz said:
It's not the CPU. I would not be online if it were the CPU. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's another chip on the motherboard. DrJ called it the northbridge. I'll take his word. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh crap, I just heard an ugly *crunk* noise from my case. Still working though....

[/ QUOTE ]

It really does not matter which chip overheats... Just the results and how much work/cost to recover from a failure.

If you are continuing to work, you probably will not outright blow the chip--but you may start running into data and memory problems. Which can lead to hard disk data corruption.

Again, if your system is backed up or the data contained is not too important, then run it until you can replace the fan.

-Bill

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i had to add a heat sink to my southbridge yes south bridge on my a78nx! but i was running my cpu at 12x210.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
nah luckly enough nvidia locks the pci and agp bus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif for some reason the south bridges overheats at high fsb for some odd reason. i love this cpu and mobo its just a amd tb 2100.but i got it running at amd xp 3400 speeds or at least 3200.but got a big old copper heatsink with a monster fan on it for cpu.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i wish i had a dual cpu system.i also want the athlon 64 and a ati 9800 xt pro .

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would replace that fan asap.
if it wasnt needed i am sure the board manufacturer would have been happy to save the money.
opening the case and directing a fan inside may let you run for a while.
too bad they use such crap fans on lots of video cards and mobo's.i see lots of dead ones.

Starlight

Enlightened
Please don't use WD-40. It dries out and leaves a very sticky residue. There are much better penetrating oils on the market. If you die hard WD-40 users don't believe me, spray some in a small bowl and check it in a few days. You will never use it again on firearms or computers.