Led Lenser p7 battery pack

TheSteve11

Newly Enlightened
Hello I am new to this flashlight business so please be gentle I am wondering if I can modify my p7 with a corded battery pack to extend the life during hunting.
I say this because I live in new Zealand and make a living off shooting possums (different to the American ones)
And am out in the bush all night. I need a change of battery because AAAs are very expensive here for good ones and I would prefer to use AAs as they are easy to recharge and are also a lot cheaper.
Has any one ever tried to get more battery life out of a p7?
I know not many people on here like led lenser but I can't fork out much money on a new flashlight but if there is a cheaper option torch with better light and battery life I'm open to suggestions :)
Thanks in advance for any feedback

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything is possible, but will be completely bespoke. I suspect looking at an 18650 or 26650 li-ion powered light would arguably be easier.

ven

Flashaholic
Not the perfect answer but a lot cheaper long term...............i use AAA eneloops in my t7.2..................no issues!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
agree with the post above. Should you want to stick with your P7 you may be able to purchase another battery carrier for it that you can load up with fresh cells to have on you when the set powering the light die out be much easier to switch out for a pre loaded carrier especially at night. New Zealand? In other words everything is twice as much as it cost here in the US if not more Hmmmm....I would suggest Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA's if they are available there. Also known as the L92 The Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA is 1200mah. Alkaline Energizer AAA may also be 1200mah but the L92's deliver a higher voltage along a flat discharge curve as opposed to an erratic discharge curve for the alkalines. They are also resistant to temperature extremes. They are 9 bucks for a 4 pack here if they are even available there yeesh I cannot imagine what they would cost there. I do not have a P7 but do have a Coast HP7 I always thought they are basically the same light yes? HP7 likely has the same 4xAAA carrier I know Coast sells carriers seperately. As for modifying with a corded battery pack unless you have some electrical skills it would likely be cheaper to just get another light that has different mode outputs and or larger higher capacity cells like the above mentioned 18650 and 26650. Alkalines and the L92 both are higher capacity than AAA NiMH's figure in cost and its kind of a catch 22. I could list many 18650 powered lights so can everybody else here pretty much. I will ask this. Are you familiar with the new 3rd Gen LED D cell Maglites? I do not know if they are for sale there. They are cheap, outstanding output and have stellar run time off of standard alkaline D cells. Wal Mart has the 625 lumen 3 D 3rd Gen LED model for $46 add in the cost of say a 4 pack of major label alkaline D cells and I am out the door for $56. They have well above average throw range as well. Your choices are many OP but I imagine a corded battery pack would be pretty complex to make work right. I am sure others will chime in. Good luck....

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The HP7 is kinda based off the P7, but that's where it ends.

Coast improved on the P7 and used all foward settings.

The P7's I own do forward and reverse motions with a turbo tossed in.
Actually the innerds of the P7 are nicer.

Ok, with all that said it seems possible to use an HP7 (or P7R) rechargeable battery pack, which is an 18650 wrapped in a proprietary shell.

If you have an incling to experiment it seems very possible to run a P7 off of an 18650.