Battery help please

elbowroom

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased the Klarus G30 w/o batteries. Klarus' says to use 3x 18650's no further specifics offered. Does anyone know exactly what type of cells will work? i.e. button or flat top, protected or un-protected? And does capacity make any difference other than increasing run times? Also, if a flashlight has built in reverse polarity protection is a protected cell necessary? All the different types of 18650's is daunting to me and the manufacturer's don't help much. Thanks!

D6859

Enlightened
I just purchased the Klarus G30 w/o batteries. Klarus' says to use 3x 18650's no further specifics offered. Does anyone know exactly what type of cells will work? i.e. button or flat top, protected or un-protected? And does capacity make any difference other than increasing run times? Also, if a flashlight has built in reverse polarity protection is a protected cell necessary? All the different types of 18650's is daunting to me and the manufacturer's don't help much. Thanks!

I think it's recommended to use protected batteries in any configuration with multiple li-ion 18650's. I guess you cannot go wrong with protected button-top 3400 mAh (e.g. by Keeppower). I've got couple of them and they work in all of my flashlights. I've read that the new 3500 mAh cells might be too thick to fit into some flashlights.

As a rule of thumb higher capacity usually means longer runtimes, but there are some difference between the cell. For example some cells have lower capacity (mAh reading) but with a high current draw the measured capacity exceeds some cells of a higher capacity.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Rtdelectronix is great place to shop for batteries,and good prices.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
no the manufacturers site and specs do not help at all. Had to do a bit of research on the G30 to find out it does not take flat top 18650's so unprotected cells just wont work. Klarus sells a 3600mah mystery cell that cuts off at a mere 3.8 amps which is pretty poor. The core cell this supposed 3600mah cell is based on is a total mystery. Reverse polarity protection simply means that if you accidentally put the cells in backwards it wont short circuit the light. There is no further information I could find on the G30 concerning if the light has built in overdischarge or thermal protection that would shut the light off should the cells get to hot. So protected cells are a must. Your best value protected cells are Keeppower 3400mah protected 18650's at $12 USD. Your best performers are Keeppower 3500mah 18650's at $14 USD. The 3500's have very low internal resistance and are also 10amp cells. These cells also have very little voltage sag at high output levels meaning you get the most performance the light is capable of until the cells voltage drops low enough which would be awhile as the cells have outstanding capacity. Basically the 3500mah cells are currently the best 18650's currently available for high output lights for now. OP where in the world are you located? These cells and many others are easily available in the states but can be more difficult to find outside the state....

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
what type of cells… protected...? … if a flashlight has built in reverse polarity protection is a protected cell necessary?

yes… yes :)

Protection has many meanings, this is in regard to OverDischarge Protection, not reverse polarity protection, and not thermal protection:
do NOT use unprotected cells unless you learn how to use a Volt Meter (or possibly the built in battery meter) for your own protection. Overdischarging LiIon can lead to fires during recharging.. do NOT leave LiIon unsupervised and in a flammable location during charging..

some specs
Reverse polarity protection
Contains built-in mechanism that regulates flashlight's temperature
LED indicator that gauges battery level and status
(note it does NOT list OverDischargeProtection.. therefore, use Protected batteries that do have OverDischargeProtection)

here is the battery they sell for it… they also sell a charger

and, if you check with the place that sold you the light, they probably also sell batteries :)

Last edited:

elbowroom

Newly Enlightened
I bought these;[h=1][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4PCS 18650 NCR18650B 3.7V 3400mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Flat Top for Panasonic. I contacted Klarus and they assured me that these Panasonic genuine flat top cells will work without damage to the light. They work beautifully. This light will work flawlessly with any type of 18650. Flat top or small button top, protected or un-protected. For me the advantage is they cost $12 dollars each for 3400mAh and I didn't have to wait 30 days for reasonably priced protected cells from Gear Best. [/FONT][/h]
no the manufacturers site and specs do not help at all. Had to do a bit of research on the G30 to find out it does not take flat top 18650's so unprotected cells just wont work. Klarus sells a 3600mah mystery cell that cuts off at a mere 3.8 amps which is pretty poor. The core cell this supposed 3600mah cell is based on is a total mystery. Reverse polarity protection simply means that if you accidentally put the cells in backwards it wont short circuit the light. There is no further information I could find on the G30 concerning if the light has built in overdischarge or thermal protection that would shut the light off should the cells get to hot. So protected cells are a must. Your best value protected cells are Keeppower 3400mah protected 18650's at $12 USD. Your best performers are Keeppower 3500mah 18650's at $14 USD. The 3500's have very low internal resistance and are also 10amp cells. These cells also have very little voltage sag at high output levels meaning you get the most performance the light is capable of until the cells voltage drops low enough which would be awhile as the cells have outstanding capacity. Basically the 3500mah cells are currently the best 18650's currently available for high output lights for now. OP where in the world are you located? These cells and many others are easily available in the states but can be more difficult to find outside the state....

Latest posts