P60 heatsink help

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
newbe question! i'm looking for the best way to heatsink my P60 drop-in's,do just role up some tin foil or invest in some type of thin brass the stuff that comes in a role!and will this also make a better contact for the LED!sorry for the dumb question!sorta new at this flashlight thing,thank you all.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Some folks say that copper sheeting (with no adhesive) is your best bet.

PM sent with some resources.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
IMHO easier is better. Why make it more complex than need be? Aluminum foil. 30 seconds and no money later you are done. Works too.

twin63

Newly Enlightened
I've used aluminum foil on all of my drop ins and it seems to work well. I prefer the heavy duty foil.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
I took "best way" to mean "most effective." Aluminum foil is certainly easiest, so if that's what he meant by "best way," then rock on.

ven

Flashaholic
As said foil is fine and as good as free, I just fold it to the desired body width and wrap. Copper tape can be bought for a couple of $'s if prefer a more permanent measure if swapping drop ins about . Flip side is some lights become too tight to fit(or visa versa but easier to add than remove). I had to remove some tape on my drop ins as a real snug fit in the surefires compared to solarforce! What a right pita getting the thin(cheap) copper tape off :laughing:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some folks say that copper sheeting (with no adhesive) is your best bet.

PM sent with some resources.

+1 on this above. This is the most effective way. Stay away from copper tape. It's not as good.

freefly

Newly Enlightened
If you want cheap and adequate, use Al foil as mentioned. However, just keep in mind that Al is not as good a thermal conductor as (pure) Cu, and common Al foil is prone to wrinkling/creasing, and will result in several tiny air pockets between each wrap layer. Seeing as Al foil is verrry thin, there will be many, many layers. Not good for thermal conductivity, but certainly better than nothing at all.

If you want the best practical solution, I would recommend a slightly modified "PFlexPro" method: The first thing to do is to polish your reflector, and the bore of the P60 host.
If you have a Dremel and the applicable bits/polishing wheels, this will go a lot faster.

Then you will want to buy a sheet (NOT tape or adhesive-backed sheet) of 4 or 5 mil copper foil, preferably C110 if you can find it.
For 4-mil thick foil (.1mm), cut it into strips 12" or so long and 1/2" wide, but Leave the last 3-4" of the strip 5/8" wide.

Begin wrapping the reflector starting with the 1/2" wide end, making sure the larger section at the end of the strip is facing towards the pill/spring. Keep the wrap as tight as you can. Once near the end, the larger 5/8" section should cover the top of the spring. Then, it's just a matter of test fitting until you get the right wrap length. I usually cut off about a 1/2" at a time until I get close, than maybe 1/4" at a time. You will want it to be a tight fit, where it takes some effort to press in, but you can still screw the head down to seat the drop-in.

If you are running anything that is going to be pulling 3+ amps, I would definitely go for the latter. YMMV.

KBobAries

Enlightened
Kudzu,

If you're willing, please PM the info to me also. Thanks.

freefly,

Do you use a drop or two of thermal paste as well? Or just the copper?

freefly

Newly Enlightened
freefly,

Do you use a drop or two of thermal paste as well? Or just the copper?
Just the copper should be sufficient, as thermal paste is a bit messy and can actually inhibit good thermal transfer if too much is used. If you are going to use it, I would suggest only "tinting" the surfaces (wrap and host). You can do this by using a very small dab of TIM on a lint-free cloth (coffee filters work great), and rub it onto the surfaces of the copper wrap (both sides), and the internal surface of the host. Then, take another cloth/filter and wipe it off completely. When finished, you should hardly see any evidence of the paste at all, just a very thin haze/film. This will fill in the microscopic gaps. It is probably more trouble than it's worth though.

Also, here is a good source for known-quality copper foil in 5 mil thickness (verified to be C110, soft annealed):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WVKO1LG/?tag=cpf0b6-20

:)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Copper foil = Best although $$
Aluminum foil = Good and Free!

...no adhesive anything

KBobAries

Enlightened
freefly,

Thanks for the link. I've read a bit about how messy they are. I think it would be worth it for a dedicated host/drop-in combo but not for frequent swaps.

Dan