newbe E2e question

stuart

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading post on this site for about 6 months now and thank all of you for expanding my knowledge of flashlights ten-fold. I've finally signed up to post so here goes with my first question: Purchased E2e about three months ago. Carried a lot but used rarely. One day light didn't work, no light at all, so I verified by using batteries in other lights that batteries were dead and replaced them. Light was fine, I used it for about five minutes or so over the course of a week and then one day when found batteries dead again, as before. I replaced batteries but this time light didn't work. The questions I have are: 1. Were some of my SF123's defective? The first ones were fine but the second set lasted 5 minutes. 2. Did I damage the bulb when I attempted to use it the first time the batteries went dead and if so would it be possible for it to still last five minutes on the second set of batteries? If so I'm still not sure why the second set went dead so quick unless they were defective. I love the light and my main concern is that something odd like that will happen again when I really need the light. I've been carrying my Tl-2 Led off duty instead of the E2e until I get a replacement lamp and try and come up with a plausible explaination. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stuart

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure nobody else is meddling with your light? Or how about checking the spring contacts? Is it oxidized? Please check again by inserting a new set of batteries.

My E2e is working fine all the while.

Andy Ho

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Stuart,
There are many possible reasons for the situation you describe. Logically you should verify that the lock out tailcap (LOTC)is working correctly and that you lock it out when not in use. I dont know how you carry your light but is it possible that it may inadvertantly get switched on in a pocket, etc?
Is there any oxidation between the bezel and body or tailcap and body? Although it should'nt lead to the type of problems you describe it is worth checking?
It is worth trying a different brand of batteries just to see if you can replicate the problem or to see if it resolves it. If a different brand of batteries is used and is successful I'd return your original ones to the supplier with a complaint (assuming you've still got them?)
As to the bulb, the MN03 is not known for premature failure. Bulbs can and do occasionally blow early but it is not common,however,SF bulbs do not take kindly to being run on very low battery voltage as this will dramatically shorten it's working life. High temperature being vital to how the filament material is 'recycled' during use. If the bulb is used on weak or much depleted batteries it will blacken inside the glass and fail early.
Most folks who use SF lights will swop out batteries when the light begins to yellow but long before it deminishes!
If after having tried the above you are still having problems contact SF Customer Services who will sort the problem for you.

End note: IMHO the SF E2e is a fantastic tool well suited to EDC and for non-tactical illumination tasks involved in Police,Security,EMS and other employments. It is versatile being able to use a LED bezel (KL1) or 25 Lumen Bulb (MN02) for longer battery life. Dont let this problem put you off your purchase as it is not typical.

Doug

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
End note: IMHO the SF E2e is a fantastic tool well suited to EDC and for non-tactical illumination tasks involved in Police,Security,EMS and other employments. It is versatile being able to use a LED bezel (KL1) or 25 Lumen Bulb (MN02) for longer battery life. Dont let this problem put you off your purchase as it is not typical.

Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree. I love my E2e and I too love the KL1 though I had lost my KL1. I am still patiently awaiting the KL1.

Andy Ho

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC my E2e daily (and nightly) and have never had a problem at all. Please let us know what you find, and rest assured that this is not typical at all for a Surefire.

-Mike

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the lamp still works and the batteries are surefires, the problem is probably with the batteries.

stuart

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for the help. I checked for oxidation but didn't see anything. The KL-1 does work fine with new batteries so I know its not something in the body of the light itself. Surefire said it may be defective batteries and that if I turned it on with the dead batteries it may have killed the bulb. I still don't know however why it would last for 5 minutes on new batteries and then die (both lamp and batteries). I ran my G2 down just to see what it looks like when batteries die. Light was clearly dimming. The E2e however didn't seem to give any warning, just totally gone one day. I should have a new bulb any day now and will advise on what happens.

Stuart

brightnorm

Flashaholic
There have been occasional reports of SF batteries manifesting sudden death. Even if this is what happened in your case rest assured that this is rare and that the vast majority of SF batteries are of the highest quality and reliability.

Brightnorm

geek

Newly Enlightened
> Surefire said ... that if I turned it on with the dead batteries it may have killed the bulb.

how could that possibly kill the bulb?

how is this reconciled against surefire's reputation for highest conceivable quality?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is weird. I'd echo the other comments about making sure the light is locked out when not in use. Older Surefires with non-LOTC were very easily activated when you didn't realize, especially when inside a heavy coat pocket or on a belt whie sitting down. Clothing and other things while sitting would activate light. My 9P turned on accidentally several times that way, once melting the lens.

GregR

Size15's

Flashaholic
The clickie Z57 activates so easily when not locked out that I switched back to the pressure switch for a while.
I wasn't used to having to lockout because I carried the A2 for ages and didn't find it needed it.
I've not been EDC'ing the L4 for a long time either but when I do I lock it out. I guess this is the way of things for pocketclipping rather than beltpouching.

Al

stuart

Newly Enlightened
After the batteries went dead the first time I rotated the cap to lock out position because I originally thought this may have been the problem. Still no new bulb yet, should be soon, I ordered it last week from SableCo. They were the only ones that had the V82 E2e holster I've been looking for so I figured I'd kill two birds with one order.(nylon holster)

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Verify that the Lotc is really locked out by pressing on the rubber boot as hard as you can by thumb pressure. If the light still comes on your not locking it. Unscrew another 1/4 turn and reverify.