Problems with new Nitecore and Olight, is Fenix better?

HEDP

Enlightened
I have a new Nitecore TM16 and two Olight M3XS-UT Javelot and like them all. However, at one time both lights wouldn't turn on. After some playing around they did and I haven't had a problem since. But that worried me that they wouldn't work at the most critical time.

I see Fenix came out with a nice light that high lumen, magnetic charging flashlight which interests me.

Are Fenix flashlights less problematic than Nitecore and Olights?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
There could be dozens of very simple reasons for why your light wouldnt turn on. Was it one time each or do you mean they wouldnt turn on for a short period of time? It is most likely one of a couple dozen simple things. First, what brand cells are you using? Are they protected or unprotected cells? What kind of charger are you using? What playing around did you do that made them work again? I understand your concern.

Fenix indeed has nice lights with high output. Magnetic charging? Which model are you referring to? From what I know all the high output magnetically rechargeable Fenix lights come with proprietary batteries that are low capacity. Is it an RC series light?

HEDP

Enlightened
There could be dozens of very simple reasons for why your light wouldnt turn on. Was it one time each or do you mean they wouldnt turn on for a short period of time? It is most likely one of a couple dozen simple things. First, what brand cells are you using? Are they protected or unprotected cells? What kind of charger are you using? What playing around did you do that made them work again? I understand your concern.

Fenix indeed has nice lights with high output. Magnetic charging? Which model are you referring to? From what I know all the high output magnetically rechargeable Fenix lights come with proprietary batteries that are low capacity. Is it an RC series light?

Protected I think and Nitecore charger. Can't remember the brand but they are pretty good I think.

Not sure on Fenix model, just for some emails from them about their new lights.

TeeKay

Newly Enlightened
I had an intermittent problem with a Nitecore Srt7. It came right after I re-tightened the head/body connection. while it wasn't loose, it obviously needed a little extra grunt.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TM16 takes protected button top cells. The advertised specs Nitecore lists for the TMGT were attained using 2600mah protected cells. There are now plenty of 3400mah protected cells now for cheap like Olight 3400mah, Eagletac 3400mah, Orbtronic 3400mah, Keeppower 3400mah these reliable high quality brands are relatively cheap now. These are your best value higher capacity 18650 cells. Nitecore also has its brand 3400mah cell but they are $21 and sloppily wrapped there is nothing special about these NC cells the higher cost is just paying for the brand name. The 3500mah 10amp protected 18650's are the best performers but are $15-$16 each. These cells will power the TM16 to its maximum potential without breaking a sweat. These 3500mah cells are best in Orbtronic and Keeppower flavors.

As for your M3X-UT not sure what to tell you about what the issue may have been with that one. Run mine with 2x3600mah Orbtronic cells and have never had an issue. Do you run yours on one 18650 or use the extender for two? I use the extender for two. I have noticed that the extender can come loose sometimes which could easily lead to loss of connection.

Lastly I will add this-almost no flashlight leaves the factory clean. Whenever I get a new light I take it apart into the tail cap, battery tube and head. I then take some rubbing alcohol and some Q-tips dip the Q-tips in the rubbing alcohol and go over all the connection points from the tail cap, the battery tube and the inside of the head. This may clear things up. It has worked miracles for some of my lights that malfunctioned at first, I cleaned the contact points and bam it worked perfectly. Good luck....

akhyar

Enlightened
Had the same problem a few times with my TM16 won't switch on after I put in a set of freshly charged NCR18650B protected batteries.
Normally it will wotk after I took out the batteries and put back in.
Still can't figure out the gremlins

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anytime there are electronics, even military grade, there are chances for issues. That is why my Maglite 2D is my fall back end-all light.

HEDP

Enlightened
The TM16 takes protected button top cells. The advertised specs Nitecore lists for the TMGT were attained using 2600mah protected cells. There are now plenty of 3400mah protected cells now for cheap like Olight 3400mah, Eagletac 3400mah, Orbtronic 3400mah, Keeppower 3400mah these reliable high quality brands are relatively cheap now. These are your best value higher capacity 18650 cells. Nitecore also has its brand 3400mah cell but they are $21 and sloppily wrapped there is nothing special about these NC cells the higher cost is just paying for the brand name. The 3500mah 10amp protected 18650's are the best performers but are $15-$16 each. These cells will power the TM16 to its maximum potential without breaking a sweat. These 3500mah cells are best in Orbtronic and Keeppower flavors.

As for your M3X-UT not sure what to tell you about what the issue may have been with that one. Run mine with 2x3600mah Orbtronic cells and have never had an issue. Do you run yours on one 18650 or use the extender for two? I use the extender for two. I have noticed that the extender can come loose sometimes which could easily lead to loss of connection.

Lastly I will add this-almost no flashlight leaves the factory clean. Whenever I get a new light I take it apart into the tail cap, battery tube and head. I then take some rubbing alcohol and some Q-tips dip the Q-tips in the rubbing alcohol and go over all the connection points from the tail cap, the battery tube and the inside of the head. This may clear things up. It has worked miracles for some of my lights that malfunctioned at first, I cleaned the contact points and bam it worked perfectly. Good luck....

I'll have to try the alcohol thing. I have 2 new Lumapowers that never worked.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new Nitecore TM16 and two Olight M3XS-UT Javelot and like them all. However, at one time both lights wouldn't turn on. After some playing around they did and I haven't had a problem since. But that worried me that they wouldn't work at the most critical time.

I see Fenix came out with a nice light that high lumen, magnetic charging flashlight which interests me.

Are Fenix flashlights less problematic than Nitecore and Olights?

Dirty electrical contacts are dirty electrical contacts. Even Surefires can be put out of working order by them. Fortunately it just takes a few moments to fix.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's face it - for all intents an purposes there is a small computer built into your lights if they have an always ready UI. Any time one is working with a computer, there is the possibility of the dreaded 'bit caught crosswise' syndrome. That is why one is so often asked if you have tried rebooting when your computer is having problems. Almost all of my Nitecores have failed to come on after changing cells at least one time. Every time all it took was to take the cells out and put them back in and they worked. Unless there is a recurring pattern I would not worry about a failure in time of need. Anyway, remember the motto - "Two is One and One is None!".

Teobaldo

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem with my Nitecore P25: not lit when most needed, in the middle of the Atacama Desert during my vacation in 2014. I changed the battery and did not work. I had no problems with that flashlight in other shorter trips before and so I was confident. Fortunately, I'm always have a backup and it was my dear old Fenix TA21 never failed me despite all the use I gave in other trips (2010-2013). Actually, none of my Fenix has failed to lit.

When I finished the trip a week later, and being in the house of a friend, I turned the P25 and ran smoothly. The flashlight not failed again, however, I do not want to use it as a precaution, it is only for emergencies at home.

It is not the first time I read of someone who has problems with Nitecore, it seems that something is wrong in quality control.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Dirty electrical contacts are dirty electrical contacts. Even Surefires can be put out of working order by them. Fortunately it just takes a few moments to fix.

Right. And in the case of the TM16, we're talking *eight* points of contact (two per cell). Lots of places for a little dirty to screw things up.

In my experience, all flashlights need a bit of cleaning, plus the contacts "break in" with use, so with a little cleaning and use, reliability should improve.

PartyPete

Enlightened
There's certainly nothing wrong with Fenix per say, I'd go so far to as to say a lot of their backlash here is due that enthusiasts don't want the Honda of flashlights, but instead the BMW.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's certainly nothing wrong with Fenix per say, I'd go so far to as to say a lot of their backlash here is due that enthusiasts don't want the Honda of flashlights, but instead the BMW.

I agree on nothing at all wrong with Fenix,I own several and have today ordered yet another Fenix but I must be missing something overall I find them no better than other quality makes.

Gryffin

Enlightened

Good way to put it. :D Solid, efficient, but not always the brightest, or with the latest innovations.

I *do* think they've been resting on their reputation a bit too long, though. Their circuits used to be the gold standard for efficiency; now Zebralight holds the crown. And other higher-end makers like Nitecore, Sunwayman, Zebralight, etc. have caught up in build quality and finishing. They do seem to be trying to catch up in the lumens race and features competition, though.