Fenix RC11

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
I really wanted to like this light. I'm a Fenix fan from way back and own more Fenix lights than any other brand. The list of features seemed about perfect for what I was looking for. As it is, I'm so disgusted I'm not even going to bother with a real review. Suffice to say it's almost everything people buy Fenix brand lights for. The quality of the build is excellent and the light level spacing is well thought out. The onboard recharging seems to work as advertised. The UI is reasonably intuitive and the side button is easily pressed.

The button is so easily pressed that Fenix saw fit to include a lockout feature. This is absolutely required and would be great if it worked like it should. It does not. A lockout should turn the light off. That's the purpose of having a lockout feature, so when you accidentally press the button the light doesn't come on. Not so with the RC11. Once the lockout is engaged, pressing the button blinks the flashlight twice, at 150lumens. Whenever it's pressed. Bump the light in your pocket? Blink twice at 150 lumens (that's bright enough to show through denim). Bump the button while orienting the light in your hand? Blink twice at 150 lumens. Pick the thing up off the table and bump the button? Blink twice at 150 lumens. Set the light to come on in low? Don't forget you're in lockout mode. If you do and you try and turn on the light, BLINK TWICE AT 150 LUMENS. Fenix hasn't really given this light a lockout feature at all. What they've done is find a way to give it a new, really bright, utterly useless and incredibly annoying blinky mode.

In the short time I've had this light I've grown to hate it. Not for what it is but for what it might have been. The power of an 18650 in a minimalist package. It's just the right size and weight to feel good in the hand. It provides brilliant light for exceptional run times at the touch of its well-placed button. Rechargeable anywhere you can find a USB port. And none of that matters. This light needs a lockout feature because sooner or later that side mounted button WILL be pressed accidentally. It needs a lockout feature that turns the light OFF until you decide to turn it back on again. The manual says the blinking light is there as an indicator that the light is in lockout mode. You know what a great lockout indicator would be? If the light did nothing when you pressed the button.

IMHO this light isn't just let down by this "feature", it's ruined by it. I'm sure there are people who will be ok with how this works but I'm sure not one off them. This one's going back.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have this light but have gone over Fenix product page for it and agree that the switch just sits to high. I would send it back as well...

JohnRS

Newly Enlightened
Tusk;4875494 [SIZE=2 said:
The button is so easily pressed that Fenix saw fit to include a lockout feature. This is absolutely required and would be great if it worked like it should. It does not.
[/SIZE]

I received my RC11 today. I love it!

I agree that the lockout feature isn't implemented as well as it could be. This doesn't bother me, however, since I generally don't use it. I prefer to twist the head a quarter-turn to not only get lockout but also stop the parasitic current drain.

interpol

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else having issues with certain 18650 cells not working in the RC11?

The Fenix ARB-L18 2600mAh cell that came with the RC11 works fine. However, I tried putting an Orbtronic 3400mAh and a Fenix ARB-L2 3400mAh in the RC11 and neither one powered the light up, although they both worked fine in a Nitecore P12.

It appears that the positive terminals of these two cells are too recessed to make contact with the terminal in the RC11's head. Stupid design on Fenix's part.

Anyone have any recommendations for 3400mAh 18650s that will work in the RC11?

EDIT: found it, I need the Fenix ARB-L18 3500mAh cell with button top. Never mind!

Last edited:

Smjsychj

Newly Enlightened
Totally emphasize!

RC 11 is an awesome light in all. The magnetic charging is fantastic, waterproof and no need of the annoying rubber cover.

Two suggestions to Fenix:
1. Maybe try the "two stage" side button, similar to nitecore MH20. But keep it metal! IMHO the two stage button gives a very straightforward interface.
2. Add SOS (yeah I mentioned this in several of posts already). Just why not.

acandzoey

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm in search for my first EDC flashlight that I can kept in my backpack that I carry daily to and from work, and to use for hiking in the dark. I have to say, all the different choices are overwhelming! At first thought I had it narrowed down to the Fenix PD32 or PD35TAC, but now I'm looking at the Fenix RC11 or Olight R20 for their built in charging capabilities so I don't have to have another battery charger laying around. Both seem to have their issues though. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Alison

feifei

Banned
Hi all! I am also quite interested in something small like this Fenix RC11, and I'm looking at the posts to get more information. There are some negative comments here, but they don't really convince me enough to NOT buy this little light. Any other users out there who have similar experiences? What about the positive aspects? Please help me out here.

Thanks guys!

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Great light. IMHO missing:
1. Moonlight mode
2. Beacon mode. (Strobe is a joke)
3. Neutral white LED
4. a good UI. Check zebralight: instant on/off, direct access to any of high/low/medium.

feifei

Banned
Thanks ktsl, noted. What about throw, since it is 1000 lm? Any other users? What about more of the positive aspects?