Rayovac Indestructible 3-D Outdoor Lantern

kilogulf59

Enlightened
OK, I think I've found the easy choice for a change. A good, reasonably priced, long lasting lantern...the Rayovac Indestructible 3-D Outdoor Lantern...http://www.rayovac.com/Lights/Outdoor-Lights/Virtually-Indestructible-LED-3D-Lantern.aspx

How can ya argue with these stats and a sub $30 price tag???

Model: OT3DLN-BC
Features and Benefits:

• 400 Lumen High Performance LED
  • 3 light modes: High, Medium & Low
  • ANSI IPX7 Waterproof Submersible
  • 15-Foot Drop Test Performance
  • 280 Hour battery runtime on Low
  • 13 Meter beam distance on High
  • Shatterproof lens & reflector
  • Over-mold rubber head
  • Impact resisting internal engineering and compact design
  • Includes convenient handle
  • Lifetime warranty
  • Includes (3) D alkaline batteries

Well Alice? Whaddaya think???

Virtually%20Indestructible%20LED%203D%20Lantern_OT3DLN_front.ashx

Gryffin

Enlightened
Wowsers! I have the previous Rayovac 3D lantern, which is a tank, but this mops the floor with the old one. I especially like the Low mode for ridiculous runtime.

If I didn't already have that one, I'd be all over THIS one like a pit bull on a pot roast! :twothumbs

Gryffin

Enlightened

kilogulf59

Enlightened
There is about a $9 price difference...on Amazon that is. For emergency lighting around the home I guess yours is the better deal, especially if more than one were needed.

I'd like to find a comparison between the two but so far nothing has shown up.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Dawg-gonnit! Why did I click this thread?

Off to the Home Depot for no apparent reason except to pickup one of these...

Nah seriously a recent windy day ripped my rear storm door off it's z-bar mounted hinges...so there is that reason...

Looks like it'll be bright enough to draw in mosquitos from another zip code.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dawg-gonnit! Why did I click this thread?

Maybe I can make things even worse!

Did you know that DBSAR, a lantern guru who owns over a hundred different lanterns, has created the BLF Lantern Project? He is designing a custom lantern for a prospective group buy.

Specs and pics of prototype are already available.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Well that is one helluva light and I am interested but have a feeling it will be priced out of my market. I am, nonetheless, interested so please keep me posted.

Realistically, I want an emergency light. Something that will work when I need it and have a decent run time on the batteries (I have good Dietz kerosene lanterns for long-term usage as well). While I think that custom light, and some of these others out there, are nice and very high-tech, I'm not a collector or an aficionado, I'm a home owning family man whose simply making a reasonable attempt at being prepared for life's little emergencies.

Even the Rayovac Indestructible 3-D Outdoor Lantern is probably more than I need considering the Rayovac LED 4 Watt 3D 240 Lumen Area Lantern is $9 cheaper. Plus, having a house, I'd want two minimum so that's now an $18 savings.

I try (<-key word there) to balance what is the best product versus what I truly need and can afford. Sometimes "the best" is the best for my needs.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
OK, I think I've found the easy choice for a change. A good, reasonably priced, long lasting lantern...the Rayovac Indestructible 3-D Outdoor Lantern...http://www.rayovac.com/Lights/Outdoor-Lights/Virtually-Indestructible-LED-3D-Lantern.aspx

I am interested though to hear from anyone who has the above listed lantern...
How can ya argue with these stats and a sub $30 price tag???

Model: OT3DLN-BC
Features and Benefits:

• 400 Lumen High Performance LED
  • 3 light modes: High, Medium & Low
  • ANSI IPX7 Waterproof Submersible
  • 15-Foot Drop Test Performance
  • 280 Hour battery runtime on Low
  • 13 Meter beam distance on High
  • Shatterproof lens & reflector
  • Over-mold rubber head
  • Impact resisting internal engineering and compact design
  • Includes convenient handle
  • Lifetime warranty
  • Includes (3) D alkaline batteries

Well Alice? Whaddaya think???

Virtually%20Indestructible%20LED%203D%20Lantern_OT3DLN_front.ashx

Does anyone have this lantern and, if so, what's your opinion?

Last edited:

Gryffin

Enlightened
Realistically, I want an emergency light. Something that will work when I need it and have a decent run time on the batteries (I have good Dietz kerosene lanterns for long-term usage as well). While I think that custom light, and some of these others out there, are nice and very high-tech, I'm not a collector or an aficionado, I'm a home owning family man whose simply making a reasonable attempt at being prepared for life's little emergencies.

Even the Rayovac Indestructible 3-D Outdoor Lantern is probably more than I need considering the Rayovac LED 4 Watt 3D 240 Lumen Area Lantern is $9 cheaper. Plus, having a house, I'd want two minimum so that's now an $18 savings.

I try (<-key word there) to balance what is the best product versus what I truly need and can afford. Sometimes "the best" is the best for my needs.

If you're interested, I rode out Superstorm Sandy, dealt with almost ten days without power. I wrote up a pretty detailed after-action report on the "Power Outage, How many lumens, How many batteries?" thread: #1001. Might give you some insight.

Bottom line, unless you've got a lot of room to illuminate, these big 3D lanterns are probably overkill for indoors. Outdoors, well, that's another story...

kilogulf59

Enlightened
If you're interested, I rode out Superstorm Sandy, dealt with almost ten days without power. I wrote up a pretty detailed after-action report on the "Power Outage, How many lumens, How many batteries?" thread: #1001. Might give you some insight.

Bottom line, unless you've got a lot of room to illuminate, these big 3D lanterns are probably overkill for indoors. Outdoors, well, that's another story...
That is an interesting and very informative post...it also changed my perspective somewhat on lighting and on the amount of batteries to stock. It is a highly recommended read for those with crisis prep in mind.

Mr_Black

Newly Enlightened
I purchased two of these lanterns last year for emergency usage. I've played around with them a bit but haven't put them through any serious use. I also keep some of the LED 1 Watt 3AA Mini Lanterns and LED 4 Watt 3D 240 Lumen Area Lanterns around the house as well. I have been able to run them all off of NiMH & alkaline AA batteries (using AA to D adapters in the larger lanterns). I've also used NiMH D batteries in the larger lanterns. They have all worked great so far.

I did manage to get a fantastic deal on the Virtually Indestructible LED 3D Lanterns last year during the Rayovac Memorial Day sale. They had a 35% off sale and I ended up getting both of them for just $41.33 after tax and with free shipping. I'm not sure if they'll do the same this year but I would suggest subscribing to their email list.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
trojansteel - I have no idea.

Mr_Black - I took your advice sir.

After reading Gryffin's post, I have been reconsidering my options and thinking of getting two less expensive lanterns and a couple of headlamps plus some batteries for backup.

I think many times people become too focused on "the best" as opposed to what is "the best" for their needs. I am, or was, guilty of this, but my reasoning always was that I didn't want to get stuck with junk.

Last edited:

Treeguy

Enlightened
I have this exact model of Rayovac Indestructible lantern and I love it.

My Coleman propane lantern is officially retired.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Yes, the more I think about it, for an outdoor lantern I think the Rayovac Indestructible 3-D Outdoor Lantern is one good way to go. For indoors I'm leaning towards Gryffin's approach.