Xeno not mainstream; such a shame

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was browsing on hkequipment and saw some extremely attractive Xeno lights, the F and G series. Appearance wise, seem to be a notch above Solarforce, heck maybe even better than the large brands. But they're advertised with integral head and body. I'm thinking the heads are still threaded on, but sealed with adhesive. Not sure if the insides are potted. Boy, if Xeno made the smaller ones P60 compatible, and sold drop ins for the larger ones, I think they would get a lot of business and mention here.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my Xeno G42 XM-L2 U2. I am still hoping they make an XP-L HI version. The build quality is excellent.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my Xeno G42 XM-L2 U2. I am still hoping they make an XP-L HI version. The build quality is excellent.

I bought an F42 with neutral XML2 a while back. The tint and beam was quite nice, out threw all the XML2 small throwers in its class from my comparisons at the time due to the larger than average head.
I swapped out the original LED for an XPG2 and it is now amazing. The XPG2 focused perfectly, just as good as the XML2 did but with a small really tight and intense hot spot. This thing now has major throw.
I believe you can get the 2.2A driver with XPG2 stock now which is basically what I created. Forget about XPL Hi, although it would probably be pretty good, this thing must be throwing well in excess of 60 000 cd possibly 80 even? It's not earth shattering but for what it is at a modest current its a really nice light which I highly recommend, as stated the build and finish are very good for its price point etc.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was browsing on hkequipment and saw some extremely attractive Xeno lights, the F and G series. Appearance wise, seem to be a notch above Solarforce, heck maybe even better than the large brands. But they're advertised with integral head and body. I'm thinking the heads are still threaded on, but sealed with adhesive. Not sure if the insides are potted. Boy, if Xeno made the smaller ones P60 compatible, and sold drop ins for the larger ones, I think they would get a lot of business and mention here.

Not sealed with adhesive, well mine wasn't anyway.
There is a bit of a trick to removing the head. You need to remove the bezel then lens, oring and reflector to access the pill. With pliers you can then extract the pill via the two removal holes, counter clockwise from memory, then if you like you can remove the head.
Once the pill is removed it's easy to desolder the star (basic 20mm MCPCB) and remove it as it only uses thermal paste. Then pop in your LED/MCPCB of choice and rebuild. I definitely recommend XPG2 (or buy it stock like that) but if you were to go XPL I think it's only worth it if you boost up the current with a driver change otherwise I don't think you'd see too much gain?
The XPG2 sure does go well in mine.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sealed with adhesive, well mine wasn't anyway.
There is a bit of a trick to removing the head. You need to remove the bezel then lens, oring and reflector to access the pill. With pliers you can then extract the pill via the two removal holes, counter clockwise from memory, then if you like you can remove the head.
Once the pill is removed it's easy to desolder the star (basic 20mm MCPCB) and remove it as it only uses thermal paste. Then pop in your LED/MCPCB of choice and rebuild. I definitely recommend XPG2 (or buy it stock like that) but if you were to go XPL I think it's only worth it if you boost up the current with a driver change otherwise I don't think you'd see too much gain?
The XPG2 sure does go well in mine.

F89, thanks for sharing. I just might take the plunge.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say it is or was mainstream (in the flashlight hobby). Also, I thought Xeno had pulled the plug? Meaning, out of business????

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
F89, thanks for sharing. I just might take the plunge.

No worries, let me know if you need any advice as you go although I'm sure you'll find it pretty straight forward. If I don't answer back immediately, I will as soon as I'm about.
Going from XML2 to XPG2 really transforms this light.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
No worries, let me know if you need any advice as you go although I'm sure you'll find it pretty straight forward. If I don't answer back immediately, I will as soon as I'm about.
Going from XML2 to XPG2 really transforms this light.

Thanks, bud.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the p60 format. But it's a bit old hat and would be a backwards step for most makers.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the p60 format. But it's a bit old hat and would be a backwards step for most makers.

Love the p60 format but it's probably not the best money making platform for the mass produced Chinese manufacturers. I'm not a Solarforce fan on that note, best left to Surefire and Oveready and custom makers like Tana.