Fenix RC09 review

D6859

Enlightened
For submission in the reviews forum

Fenix RC09 review

Disclaimer: Fenix Nordics have provided me with their RC09 flashlight for testing. I get to keep the light after testing and Fenix Nordics have only asked me to fill their user research form on their website. I've made this review due to my own interest in flashlights and writing reviews and will not receive any extra advantage or payment for doing so. This is my first flashlight review. My mother language isn't English so sorry about all the typos etc.

Introduction

Fenix RC09 is powered by a single 16340 Li-Ion battery (included), it has in-light charging and comes with a USB charger. It looks like Fenix's response to Olight's S10R. In this review I take a closer look to the light and its specification. I've divided the review in two parts: facts and opinions. Since this is my first flashlight in this battery class, I cannot safely compare it to any other light that I own. At the end I've reflected my opinions about RC09 in daily use on my experience with my EDC at the moment. We'll start with the facts though.

Manufacturer's specification

This is copy-and-paste from manufacturer's site:

Features
·Utilizes Cree XM-L2 U2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
·Powered by one 16340 rechargeable Li-ion battery or one CR123A Lithium battery can be taken under emergency circumstance
·72mm Length x 21.5mm Head Diameter (2.83'' x 0.85'')
·45 grams(1.59oz.)excluding battery and charging cable
·Magnetic suction charging port in the neck, one included 16340 rechargeable Li-ion battery
·Tailored magnetic charging cable also available in portable MICRO USB devices
·One-switch for fast and convenient operation
·Specialized two-position body clip, magnetic suction bottom
·Lock-out function avoids accidental operation
·Intelligent over-heat protection to avoid high temperature of the surface
·Low-voltage warning reminds when battery replacement is needed
·Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
·Digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness
·Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
·Premium type Ⅲ hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
·Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

According to the manual:

Output modes (and respective runtimes): 550 lm (35 min*), 150 lm (2h 35 min), 50 lm (8h 55min), 5 lm (56h)
*Due to the protective setup of downsifting from Turbo to High after 5 minutes, so the runtime of Turbo is accumulated time
Distance: 115 m (max)
Intensity: 3300 cd /max)
Waterproof: IPX-8, underwater 2m

The packing

a_packing.jpg

RC09 comes in a plastic packing with lights specs (output & runtimes, what's included, etc.) printed on.

ab_packing.jpg

Notable thing is that Fenix doesn't provide only maximum runtime but both rutimes for turbo and low mode on their labels.

What's included

b_whats_included.jpg

The packet contains RC09, Fenix 16340 battery (700 mAh), USB charge cable, pocket clip, lanyard, holster, manual and warranty card.

Closer look

ca_insulation.jpg

RC09 comes with the battery intalled but before you can turn it on you have to remove the insulation sheet. Since the light has an electronic switch the insulation sheet is needed to stop the parasitic drain. I measured 51 uA current when the flashlight was off. The current would drain the 700 mAh battery in about 1.5 years, so I'd recommend monthly charges.

cb_button_side.jpg

The switch side (matchstick for scale). The ligh can tailstand and it has magnetic tail and reversable pocket clip. Magnet in the tail is strong. If there is a need for battery replacement RC09 comes into two parts by unscrewing the head while holding the body. The finish is good and there's knurling on the body to enable cigar or pen grip. The label on the head reminds you that the light will get hot on turbo mode.

cb_charger_side.jpg

Charging port side (matchstick for scale). The charging port has a magnet too but it is not strong enough to hold the flashlight e.g. on fridge door. Since the charging port is on the opposite side of the flashlight the switch is easy to find. Edit: Actually, having the pocket clip on the opposite side is better locator. The charging port and the button easily mix up in the dark.

cd_charger.jpg

The charging cable has a normal USB connector on the computer-end and both magnetic charging port and micro-usb connector in the flashlight-end. It seems that the cable does not have all of the pins connected so you cannot use it to transfer data but only to recharge your gadgets.

Usage (UI)

The light is turned on/off with a long (0.5 sec) press on the electronic switch.

When the light is on short presses change the modes. RC09 reminds the last used mode (except strobe).

On any state longer (1.2 sec) press turns on the strobe. The strobe has changing frequency.

When RC09 is off fast (within 0.5 secs) double click locks the flashlight out. To inform you about the lock-out RC09 flashes twice when the lock-out is activated. The flashlight flashes twice if you try to long press or single press the button on the lock-out state. Lock-out is deactivated by another fast double press and the flashlight returns to last used mode. You can also lock-out the light physically by unscrewing the body half a turn.

RC09 has over-heat protection. The light switches from turbo to high mode after 5 minutes. You can switch back on the turbo mode by single pressing the mode button. When the over-heat protection activates the light isn't too hot to touch.

According to Fenix, there is low-voltage warning functionthat will drop the output as the battery drains. If this happens on low output the light will start flashing three times every five minutes. The light will not stop working until the protection circuit on the battery cuts the current. This works of course only when protected battery is used.

Charging

ce_charging.jpg

The charging cable connects to the flashlight with a magnetic port. Connecting is easy since the magnets are so strong they can hold the flashlights weight (you could install it e.g. on the wall if you wanted).

cf_charging.jpg

There's a little green led on the charging cable. It blinks when the battery is charging and turns steady when the battery is full. The light stays steady also when the flashlight is not connected, but due to magnets on the port you'll know for sure when it's connected.

cg_charging.jpg

You can turn on RC09 when it's charging but it will turn only on the mid mode.

The Beamshots

My camera seems to have broken so I had to rely on the camera in my mobile phone. Sorry for the bad quality. Here are some pictures with mid mode with different exposure times. Pictures are taken with autobalance so do nyt rely on the pictures when considering the tint.

d_beamshot.jpg

d_beamshot2.jpg

d_beamshot3.jpg

Here's tint comparison with Thrunite TN12 2016 NW (but please don't rely on my camera)

db_comparison.jpg

RC09 seems to have cool white emitter. The beam is combination of hotspot and a really wide spill.

This is the end of facts part.

Opinions

As RC09 is my first flashlight in this battery class I was amazed how small it is and yet how bright it is. The mode spacing of the first three modes is good (I consider the 5 minute turbo only a nice show-off) but the flashlight lacks real moonlight mode. Charging the flashlight is easy, but you need a special cable for the charging. I'd prefer a cable that I can use for data transfer too.

Magnetic tail, reversable pocket clip and tailstanding capability make the flashlight really versatile.

Edit: After a little more use the UI starts to feel more convenient. I may have been too hasty to judge the UI based on my personal preference. Below you can read my initial impression.

Even though RC09 seems to be meant for daily use it's biggest drawback seems to be the non-EDC-friendly UI. I've got used to carrying my EDC in my trouser pocket where it's easy to pick from and use momentarily with the tail switch. Using RC09 feels a little clumsy since you have to long press the button and you cannot use it momentarily. Long press for on/off is not intuitive: I gave the light to a friend and I had to explain how to turn it on as he was trying to first single click and then double click the switch. On the other hand, he learned the ui in 5 seconds and when he found turbo he couldn't say anything but 'wow'. Long press activation will reduce the risk of turning the light on accidentally (which was my biggest problem with Olight S15) but in a flashlight with single switch I'd prefer stiff switch and short press (e.g. Armytek Tiara A1).

The hidden strobe isn't hidden well enough. You may turn the strobe accidentally on when trying to turn off the light (and it hurts if you happen to have hangover for example).

To summarize,

Pros
+ in-light charging is extremely easy to use
+ small size
+ really bright maximum output
+ good runtimes and mode spacing
+ reversable pocket clip
+ magnetic tail

Cons
- long press for on/off
- the flashlight cannot be used momentarily
- USB recharge needs special cable (that cannot be used for data transfer)
- no real moonlight mode

Would I recommend it?

I would recommend the light for non-flashaholic who doesn't have a li-ion charger. But I'd also recommend checking if some other lights in the same price class better fit their needs (e.g. Olight S10R comes to my mind first). RC09 will make a good gift for my girlfriend.

Last edited: