• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Progress on April's Batch

okluma

Enlightened
The original TinyDC thread is getting pretty long and difficult to read at this point, so I wanted to start a new thread just devoted to progress on the current batch of flashlights. Some of this will be review from the other thread, but some of it will be new. I'm expecting this batch to be ready around the end of April. Feel free to post and ask questions in here.

* Lottery - this next batch will be sold via lottery! Yes! I don't know how it will work exactly just yet. Details will be coming soon!

* cigar boxes - Packaging is one of those big debates I know, with good points on both sides. However, packaging is important to me in a way I have a difficult time articulating. After much duress, a company custom made TinyDC sized cigar boxes for me. They've got finger joints. The Okluma logo is stamped in the top. All non-aluminum flashlights will come packaged in these. In the future I'll have these available for sale separately in my store.

25378468500_614489eb3a_z.jpg

* ID tool block & through coolant - For February's run of aluminum lights, I was short one ID tool block. ID tool blocks hold tools that do internal work, like drills, boring bars, and internal threading tools. I had ordered 4 when the new machine arrived, but only 3 showed up. The 4th was on back order for 6 to 8 weeks. Aluminum is forgiving enough that I was able to be creative and get by with only 3. There isn't a chance what I was doing would have worked in titanium, and very fortunately the delinquent tool block arrived last week. In addition to having the extra tool block, I also bought some more tools, made some fittings, and now I'm setup to run through coolant. Harder, better, faster, stronger.
ID tool block in question and a back plate I made for it.

26374103865_e0c95a6f72_z.jpg

* new clips - I've been doing work with a particular waterjet guy for about 5 years now. He's a nice guy and can usually get my work done the same day. However, for some reason he's had a lot of trouble keeping the tolerances I need for my clips. Over the past couple weeks, I found a new shop that does great work. Their turn around time is about 2 weeks instead of same day, but their quality is worth it. All their work is crisp and clean. Here's a picture of one before it's been bent up.

26308066641_cd10d6500a_z.jpg

* pills - While I waiting on the ID tool block, mucking about with coolant and courting water jet owners, I made pills. Then I made more pills. Not only are there enough pills for this batch, but I made aluminum pills for the next batch too.

26311128871_3571ab303d_z.jpg

* damascus - Since I started making flashlights, everyone has been asking about damascus. I've done some work with a guy that not only sells damascus, but teaches damascus making classes to some of the bigger knife makers you've heard of. We've gone back and forth quite a bit, and I'll be using his nickel twist damascus for this round. I've also got a small sample or two of other patterns he can do coming.

25987047685_e5036e4a41_z.jpg

* Nichia 219c - This round of flashlights will be coming with 3up Nichia219cs and not the 219bs.

* Bob received his first haircut - Previously, Bob was a mess of wires. He's cleaned up his act a bit.

26371762295_32ae9ae705_z.jpg

* Hangboard - I bought a hangboard and put it in my shop, so I can stay jacked and tan (that's a joke).

26022837172_32da8b5573_z.jpg

Last edited:

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Sweet, how do i get on the list for this batch? And a couple questions:

Looking for 4000k, xpl or even xpg2, can do?

I also greatly favor the oveready/modoolar clip design, do you know if they are compatible? If not, could i get mine drilled for that clip instead?

Thanks man!

okluma

Enlightened
Sweet, how do i get on the list for this batch? And a couple questions:

Looking for 4000k, xpl or even xpg2, can do?

I also greatly favor the oveready/modoolar clip design, do you know if they are compatible? If not, could i get mine drilled for that clip instead?

Thanks man!

This round will all be sold by lottery. I'll be announcing the details on my mailing list late next week, the sign up form is here: http://eepurl.com/bu0JAT

Yeah, I can definitely put any emitter in there you like. I do have some 4000k XPLs on hand, but if you don't mind a small wait I can put just about anything in there.

I don't know if mine are compatible with the Oveready clips. They look the same, but I couldn't say 100%. The hole pattern on my light matches McGizmo, Mac, and those Darkflame clips.

pingz

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad you have more detail in the CPF thread here compared to your emails :)
Thanks for sharing with us! Excited for this next lottery

Gryffin

Enlightened
* damascus - Since I started making flashlights, everyone has been asking about damascus. I've done some work with a guy that not only sells damascus, but teaches damascus making classes to some of the bigger knife makers you've heard of. We've gone back and forth quite a bit, and I'll be using his nickel twist damascus for this round. I've also got a small sample or two of other patterns he can do coming.

25987047685_e5036e4a41_z.jpg

That's a gorgeous-looking piece of stock! :eek:oo:

It's kinda sad, though, knowing that 80%+ of that will end up as waste… :mecry:

okluma

Enlightened
That's a gorgeous-looking piece of stock! :eek:oo:

It's kinda sad, though, knowing that 80%+ of that will end up as waste… :mecry:

Yeah... That's something you've got to get over as a machinist, since pretty much all we do is remove material.

This isn't a finished surface, just a quick polish and etch to see what they'll look like.

25866193293_8f51256245_c.jpg

GusManB

Enlightened
Wow Vary nice! I hope I can grab one of this.
Hope you will do more next batch if I miss this one.