Max throw from 1x18650?

Sphinxxx

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a dedicated thrower to compliment my headlamp for backpacking. I don't really need any spill from the flashlight, just MAXIMUM THROW. I prefer white light. A single 18650 would be preferable for size and weight. Upwards of 50k cd would be ideal, but i will compromise a little for form factor/sexy factor. I just want it to significantly kick my MH20 into the dirt as far as throw. Runtime is not vital because this will never be my only light. I am not a fan of tactical layouts and tail clickys but i could probably adapt. Customs/vihn's/tuners welcome. Any ideas?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore MH27. Single 18650 rated at 53k CD in reality is more likely 48k CD still kicks the MH20 into the dust. MH27 puts out a white tint.

DBrier

Enlightened
Is weight a consideration? I just ordered an MH20GT for my caving trip. It was the best weight/throw ratio I could find. 360 meters and under 90 grams.
I plan to mount mine to my helmet to complement my Nitecore HC30 up front.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xeno F42 with XPG2 and 2.2A driver is hard to beat.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Nitecore MH27.

My Xeno would make the MH27 look pale. And it has a nice neutral tint.
To add some perspective to lights that people may be familiar with:
My Xeno F42 (was an XML2 with 2.2A stock driver then modded to XPG2 with same stock driver, you can actually buy it stock now in my configuration).
Oveready mini turbohead direct drive XPL is smashed by the Xeno.
Klarus XT30 (XML2, 2x18650) is easily outdone by the Xeno.
Malkoff Hound Dog XML2, another 2x18650, is smashed by the Xeno.
Olight M3X (XML2), also 2x18650, edges out the Xeno convincingly which it should with its head size. Mind you my M3X also beats my Fenix TK75 XML2 which is supposed to be something like 120kcd while the Olight is claimed 80 or 90?
The Xeno is highly underestimated possibly due to availability etc but I can assure you that for its size (has a pretty big head/reflector for a single 18650 thrower) its an amazing thrower for an XPG2 based light. The Quality and handling is also better than most, cheaper too.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
just had a facepalm moment. Either of the bigger Olight Javelots can run off 1x18650. The M2X is something like near 200kCD tested on the forum and the bigger M3XS is well over 255000k CD.

Sphinxxx

Newly Enlightened
Yes, weight is an issue, but i doubt i'm going to get what i'm after in a small, lightweight form factor. It doesnt look like i'm going to get away with a simple side-clicky either. The Xeno is intriguing, but i can't figure much out on the website. The MH27 is a consideration, but for that size and weight it's close to much brighter lights. The MH20GT is too close to the MH20, which i like a lot but i'm not trying to replace.
Does anybody have experience with the M2X-UT Javelot? I'm just now researching it but i am liking the claimed numbers from 1 cell---fairly compact, 800m throw.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone mentioned Eagletac S200C2vn as modded by vinhnguyen54. I love mine as my favorite smaller thrower.
1 IMR18650 battery
Less than 2" diameter head.
6" long and less than 8 ounces.
XP-G2 dedomed & boosted by Vinh - - 157,000 lux, 800 meters.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
have had the M2X since it came out. Amazing light. Throws further than I can see. I have read many reports about the light having a green tint my copy has much more of a yellow tint. From what I understand the emitter is a de domed XP-L HD emitter. Output is outstanding. I bought the 2x extension from GG and have it set up that way for much longer run time. Still running it off 1x18650 is no problem you just need to remember that you will only get 6-8 minutes max at max output before it drops off into regulation. Even when in regulation it still throws above 100k CD.

All that being said if it is WHITE light you are after in a 1x18650 thrower the MH27 is the only light of that configuration out of my 50+ collection that is throw oriented, very high output with a white tint. Will just throw in that the Olight SR52UT has tested out here at basically 200,000k CD and has the nicest white tint. Do not know how they got such a near perfect white tint out of a XP-L HI its even whiter than the MH27 but then again its 3x18650.

akhyar

Enlightened
I have the Olight M2X-UT and that sucker can really throw.
But, it has quite a large head for a single 18650 light, and I don't really like the greenish tint as I'm a tint and high CRI snob nowadays.

Sphinxxx

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for pointing out the yellow tint of the M2X, i might have really regretted that. You might just be spot on about the SR52 (or the Spec1 version by Vihn). Always too much temptation to go bigger. I really don't want to carry a 2lb light up the mountain though, that's heavier than my shelter and sleeping bag combined. Well, i'm as patient as i am poor so i will take my time and pick the right one. Maybe SkyLumen can put an XPL HI in an M2X for me. I'm pretty committed to cool white because if it doesn't match my primary headlamp (HC30) it will drive me insane.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are welcome. Both the M2X and M3XS have yellowish halogen like tint. SR52UT weighs 1.08 pounds without cells. 3 high capacity cells really do not add to much to the weight. Advantages of the UT are its amazing white tint, stellar throw and it can run on max for hours. Is also micro USB rechargeable and has astonishing build quality. It also just does not get hot the heat sinking is so good. The medium mode is bright enough and throws far enough I rarely need to bump it up to max. Comes with a quality sheath, micro USB cable and a USB charging adapter to plug into a cigarette lighter which is kind of odd the original SR52 just came with a wall wart.

Sure you can change the emitter on the M2X but you will still be stuck with short run time. Even using the optional 2x extension tube will only net you 12-14 minutes at max before it drops. MH27 just to add only has 4 main output modes. They are spread well but it could use a fifth. The MH27 secondary colored LED's are stellar easily twice as bright as the ones on the SRT7. Its strange I do not know how Olight and Nitecore got such white tint out of the same XP-L HI V3 when my other lights with the same emitter although cool lean heavily towards warm at the hot spot and corona.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
For pure throw, you want a DEFT edc Enthusiast model. Even any of the othe predecessors would also offer excellent throw.

jswe

Newly Enlightened
just had a facepalm moment. Either of the bigger Olight Javelots can run off 1x18650. The M2X is something like near 200kCD tested on the forum and the bigger M3XS is well over 255000k CD.

M3XS-UT will not run only on a single 18650. It runs on either 3 x CR123, or 4 x CR123 or 2 x 18650, with extension tube. I've also somewhat successfully run mine on 2 x 18500 (w/o extension tube).

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
For something out of left field, maybe have a look at SpikeLights here in Oz. Squarely aimed at the triathlete etc field however looks like an excellent bit of kit. Headlamp form with flood and (stupidly good) throw with an aspheric lens. The exchange rate is more than likely good depending where you are so may be competitive. Uses 18650's and customisable UI. I'm tempted but struggle with justification, and wouldn't get past the minister for war and finance anyway.

There seems to be a fairly dedicated following for the maker.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a dedicated thrower to compliment my headlamp for backpacking. I don't really need any spill from the flashlight, just MAXIMUM THROW. I prefer white light. A single 18650 would be preferable for size and weight. Upwards of 50k cd would be ideal, but i will compromise a little for form factor/sexy factor. I just want it to significantly kick my MH20 into the dirt as far as throw. Runtime is not vital because this will never be my only light. I am not a fan of tactical layouts and tail clickys but i could probably adapt. Customs/vihn's/tuners welcome. Any ideas?
50k cd is pretty easy in a smallish form factor.

But it really depends on if you really are MAX throw, as per your thread title. Or just good throw, vs physical size.

If you aren't wanting any spill beam, I would also say to look at lights that use a TIR or aspheric lens.

And a good question to ask is, are you into modding? If so, then it opens up a whole wrath of new options. Modding doesn't have to be complex. Indeed it might be as simple as unscrewing a few components and soldering two wires (really really easy).

For a reflector light, to get throw you want a large reflector. Generally the larger the better.
---this means good throwers are usually pretty big.

You also want a small LED in comparison to the reflector size
---An XP-G2 will out throw an XM-L2 or XP-L in the same reflector.

For the money this will probably out throw most of the "big" name lights, because many big name lights use the larger LEDs to get the headline lumen numbers.
http://intl-outdoor.com/xintd-c8-v5-xpg2-s4-multioption-18650-flashlight-p-789.html

The XinTD C8 is superb quality with a really good driver, and you get to choose which modes you want. It is also compact enough to fit in a pocket.

The reason it throws well, is the one I've linked to uses an XP-G2 LED and the C8 has a fairly large reflector.

If you went for a bigger torch still, then you can get more throw.

Now if you are into modding, then you have some options. C8's are very easy to mod and you can buy them as a quality host from companies like Convoy.

If you use an XP-L HI emitter, you'll get similar throw to the XP-G2, but with more lumens and a brighter spill beam. Or you could look at de-doming an emitter yourself. Nobody sells de-domed XP-G2 lights, but these will out throw any of the other LEDs pretty much.

For a more compact offering, you might want to look at some zoomy lights. An aspheric lens can be made to throw well too. The biggest advantage is you'll get no spill beam. The bigger the lens the better, just like reflectors. And the same LEDs will offer the best performance. Namely a well driven XP-G2, an XP-L HI (or a de-domed XM-L2 or XP-L) or best of all, a de-domed XP-G2.

These can make for lightweight compact throwers.

Sphinxxx

Newly Enlightened
No i am not really capable of modding lights myself. I am ok with a huge reflector, but not so much with a 2-cell body. Would rather not go with the aspheric lens.
I didn't realize how much smaller the XP-G2 emitter was. What about this light http://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/m30cvn-need-spec by vihn in the Spec 5? Would that likely make white light with XP-G2 PDT? That boosted mode might munch batteries but i can live with that. He Also offers XPL PDT and says its a "higher lumen thrower" or XPL HI. Which of those would be the best thrower in the coolest white?

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the M30Cvn and the XPG2 PDT is definitely the option you want for throw. The XPL results in a more balance light between flood & throw.