Holster/belt clip for thrower

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
I have an Olight M3X Triton. Toilet-plunger 2x18650 kind of light. I'm not a huge fan of the included holster; I can't warm up to head-up. So, I generally carry it head down, clipped in my left cargo pocket. This, unfortunately, is not very secure. I would love to find a better way to carry it.I've done some thinking on my own, but I would love to hear ideas from other CPFers. Thanks!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Visualize a 1" strip of metal not quite as long as the Olight. At one end, two branches outward in a 'V' shape with a slight lip at the end, possible curled inward slightly. Make the legs of the V just long enough to allow the head to clip into it, but first line the entire piece with some sort of 2-3 mm soft rubber to prevent scratches. At the other end, make a fixed belt loop/MOLLE-style velcro loop/possible D-ring for fastening to your belt. As part of that either another velcro loop or some sort of bungie-style cord to hold the rear of the light firmly so it will not unclip itself. Rivet that to the metal bracket. Do the riveting before lining with rubber. If you want to get really fancy you could add a couple of elastic loops slightly below the belt loop to hold a couple spare 18650 cells. If you know a good leather worker this could be done in good stiff cowhide instead of metal, with metal strips sandwiched inside for the head clamp area. Let your mind roam. If it works you might want to make a few extra in case any others would like to carry their M3X lights head down as well.

Last edited:

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
The metal part being something like this? Am I following? I just whipped this up in CAD software.

Last edited:

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
I may be getting ahead of myself, but I imagine that stainless steel would be the way to go for this. Any ideas on gauges? I have some metalworking experience, so I would feel better about working with sheet metal than most other appropriate materials for this project.

At this moment in time, I'm starting to imagine this as something I could create in either a drop-leg or belt-hanging configuration, with minimal design difference between the two.

Have an idea about a way to avoid using a bungie or Velcro to keep the tail end of the light secure (if the head "clip" grips tightly enough, the tail end could just be held steady by some big "wings" on that long strip), but will have to wait for tomorrow to continue work on that... Chemistry lab report is calling my name.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
custom leather strap holder for head down carry. Shouldnt cost to much and wont scratch up the finish of the light?

Latest posts