Energizer Vision HD 6AA...battery question...

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an Energizer Vision HD, which takes 6AA batteries. What if I wanted to use 4 14500 cells and 2 dummy cells? Would this work?

This light is extremely bright, BTW......quite amazing for the price. :)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow I was totally unaware of this light. I highly advise against using 14500 cells which fully charged 4 would be 16.8v. 6 Energizer Ultimate Lithium cells would be 9v. You would blow the light as soon as you turned it on. Quite a light for a hell of a price. Should you buy then the L91 Energizer Ultimate Lithiums are the way to go.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wanting to go with something rechargeable to help on cost. I can go with NiMh I suppose....or the L91.

How about two 14500 and 4 dummy cells? :-D

Yeah, it is a pretty amazing light....well worth the price. Great color of the beam....very wide, but still able to shine out pretty far.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
go NiMH or L91's. L91's are going to have the highest capacity per cell 3000mah and they crank 1.5v each until they near flat out die. I dont know how well the cheap light will work with lithium ion chemistry.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The problem with using 14500s in series is if you don't have protection circuits it could cause potential problems. I'm wondering if it is truly a 9v light or 2 sets of 4.5v. If it was a 4.5v light you could use parallel lithium ion batteries.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah,...Lynx Arc, you may have something. This light uses 6AA size, but they all go in the same direction. Two rows of three cells.......or like:

-==+-==+-==+
-==+-==+-==+

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Ah,...Lynx Arc, you may have something. This light uses 6AA size, but they all go in the same direction. Two rows of three cells.......or like:

-==+-==+-==+
-==+-==+-==+

You would have to try and use only 3 cells in a line and see if it works without the other 3 to know for sure.
Typically in the past light makers use 3 cells and a linear regulator or a resistor as most LEDs take less than 4.5v to operate at full output so it is cheaper than using a buck circuit and two rows means that it is half as hard on the AA cells causing their internal resistance in the circuit to be half as much overall.
Now it is possible that the light truly takes 9v and has a buck circuit in it but that would be more expensive to design and most battery makers that sell lights want to make as much profit as possible and have it use up batteries (alkalines usually) so they can sell more and more of them.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
pretty confident this is a 9 volt light....nice funky 2 LEDs for distance the bottom LED behind a diffuser lens for flood...

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found this bad boy at Target for $25 - this thing is beastly. 900 lumens for that little money makes this a serious competitor to enthusiast-grade lights; anything in this class at Wal-Mart was over $50 ever since it showed up.

If there's regulation, this may provide a better average brightness than my Elektrolumens Blasters, which run forever but only get about an hour of really good oomph in the beginning.

Somebody stop me from buying like three of these…

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery configuration makes me think it is just using a double 4.5 volt setup.

I think I'll just get some regular lithium batteries for it.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been wondering about this light since I saw it at the O'Reilly Auto Parts I now work at. Looks like a good light for the price. There is also a 300 lumen 2xAA version and a 250 lumen 3xAAA version.

mpainter

Newly Enlightened
If they are in series then two Li-ons would work, one if they are in a series parallel setup.
Two AA batteries are a bit larger in diameter than one D cell.
One inch schedule 40 PVC would work as a filler.
I just converted a 2D Maglite using six AA's to two 26650's in this manner.

(Dollar store oven cleaner works great to de anodize the end cap.

stephenk

Enlightened
Just found this bad boy at Target for $25 - this thing is beastly. 900 lumens for that little money makes this a serious competitor to enthusiast-grade lights; anything in this class at Wal-Mart was over $50 ever since it showed up.

If there's regulation, this may provide a better average brightness than my Elektrolumens Blasters, which run forever but only get about an hour of really good oomph in the beginning.

Somebody stop me from buying like three of these…

It certainly it looks like it could give some more 'serious' AA lights a run for their money. Optics should be good, and neutral white emitters. However mode options seem poor, which is odd, as Energizer make plenty of lights with electronically adjustable output.