Dog insulin for diabetic dog.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Just found out my dog has diabetes. Doc recommend vetsulin, but it's about $40 per bottle. My dog is a big boy, he needs 3 bottles per month. Anyone have a diabetic dog and do you know any generic insulin for dogs? Thanks.

Ladd

Enlightened
I have a diabetic dog. I get my insulin from walmart. It is Novolin N (Human) U-100. About $28-29.

I also use walmart Syringes. Capacity 3/10ml, 29 Gauge, 12.7mm.

These have kept my friend alive for the past 3 years -

It is a huge commitment giving shots twice a day, but necessary.

More tips:

Get a sharps container for the used needles from your vet.

Cut off the end of the syringe containing the needle and put that in the sharps container. Put the rest in the trash.

Takes less room in the sharps container and saves money.

Ladd

Enlightened
One last tip: This will really save you big bucks and help your pet survive and be more comfortable.

Get yourself a blood glucose monitoring system and learn how to use it.

Your vet should be able to help you with this. Or you can research how to do it online.

Cuts way down on trips to the vet to do sugar monitoring and to diagnose crisis situations.

Could save you hundreds of dollars.

The one I use is the AlphaTRAK for cats and dogs.

It should be available on Amazon.

Ladd

Enlightened
OK, I just thought of another tip.

This one is actually flashlight-related.

When your dog becomes obviously uncomfortable with low or high sugar, you need to diagnose the problem.

High sugar - you may want to administer more insulin.

Low sugar - can be even more dangerous. I have rescued my pet with cliff bars and bananas.

(Talk to your vet before risking your pet with my (or any-ones) well-meaning advise.)

Heres the tip: Use a flashlight to shine through the dog's ear, exposing the locations of blood vessels.

Make sure the light beam is not too hot, but a medium warm beam will warm the ear and make drawing a droplet of blood much easier.

Makes it easier to aim the device that pricks the ear and get that tiny droplet of blood to test the glucose level.