Got my solarforce the other day.

hill_billy

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a solarforce l2m online and it came in the mail a couple days ago. I got a xm-l three mode drop in with it and I couldn't be happier. Great upgrade from the mini mags I've always carried and a great start to a new hobby. I think that old mini mag pro will stay at work now because I don't want to be that hard on this new light yet and time to get some 18350 batterys so I can try short mode. My wife makes fun of me for being so excited over a flashlight Thank you everyone here for opening up a whole new world for me

ven

Flashaholic
Congrats hill billy, excellent value for money, now you need 2x 18350 cells and a VOB xhp70 de-domed drop in to light a field up :laughing:

I use Solarforce's in work as every day beaters, well one is the other is back up

Both have sportac triples in, one nichia 219 , the other xp-g2(cool)

Great for close up work without being dazzled, yet bright enough on 20%(2 mode drop in versions) to light an area that is already partly artificially lit! . I find i need more output in these work conditions, than i would say at night..........

Its pretty much endless!!! then you can tart them up a bit too

What ever floats your boat!! For good value, i do like the L2T at around $18............bargain imo!!
Vinh does some amazing quads, P60vn with choice of LED's and programmable drivers to

If she makes fun now, god help you in a few months:poke: maybe she will just get used to packages coming to a point its the norm:whistle:

The "how many flashlights do you need?" has been and well gone now :laughing:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ven is a bad influence to P60 newbies! Hahah.. But no doubt they are solid recommendations.

Just for your information, P60 format lights are mostly short to medium range lights. Dont expect them to be uber-throwers because of the size limitations of the light.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
You picked one of the best starter rigs out there. The P60 is a timeless classic. You wife has no idea what you may be on the verge of! Matter of fact, neither do you! lol Get you some quality 18650 or 18350 cells. Make sure you learn battery safety too! Then have some super fun! Some of my favorite P60 drop ins are Tana, Nailbender, Ven, Overready, SOYCD, and a few others that I can't remember cause I just woke up! lol Also don't feel bad buying a $100 drop in for a $15 body!!

hill_billy

Newly Enlightened
Yes I realize it's not ideal for hunting but is impressive over what I had. I do think it will make a great edc light and serve the other roles until I get the right lights for the job. Those triples are nice. What advantage do they have over the single led models? The wife will get used to it. Already have packages coming in regularly from my gun and knife hobbies

ven

Flashaholic
I find triples ideal when you are working more close up and need a floody type of light. They still reach out a bit, but nothing compared to reflector type p60's

Still being sensible(and so ignoring most of me :laughing:) the sportacs are good value , around $35 ish your side and the nichia 219 triple gives a very nice tint for rendition.

ven

Flashaholic
Also the EDC plus triple is a nice drop in for the money, can say the neutral is really nice. It does start in high if that is an issue! But if used outside or you need high straight off, its guaranteed so does have a flip side.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I picked up a solarforce l2m online and it came in the mail a couple days ago. I got a xm-l three mode drop in with it and I couldn't be happier. Great upgrade from the mini mags I've always carried and a great start to a new hobby. I think that old mini mag pro will stay at work now because I don't want to be that hard on this new light yet and time to get some 18350 batterys so I can try short mode. My wife makes fun of me for being so excited over a flashlight Thank you everyone here for opening up a whole new world for me

Very cool.

At first my wife was rolling her eyes as if to say "here we go again, another hobby" but after having a few 'flashlight came in handy in sudden lights out' moments now when we go to box stores she reminds to check the flashlight row before we leave.

I predict you'll really like the short version as it disappears in your pockets.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Do like that short form factor, is it fed 18350 or 16340 mike?(or neither)

Might consider that for work! still use a triple , but just easier to pocket!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mine is Rayovac'd. The emitter is the reflector/ module combo from a 300 lumen 2aa Rayovac Indestructable I put a Malkoff M31 into.

The little Rayovac pill was only set up to drive at about 2-1/2 or so volts so I'm using a 123 primary and holding my breath it doesn't "poof". I use it mostly on the low setting (100 or so lumens). Don't know the range it was designed around but do know it held out in a 6P for a minute or so, but became very warm very quickly... so far so good.

When it finally poofs I'll stick an M31W from my fivemega 18350 body and find a low voltage R30 type module for that one.

What we're reffering to Mr. Billy is drop ins that were built around 3 volt applications. If/when you split the light in half what ever module you put in would need to be based around the voltage of 1 battery. Some emitters can use around 3-9 volts. Some are more tailored to one end or the other.
Verses the mini mag incan, a 6P and a microstream.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Cool, yes pre-bored for 18350 which is what i would use if i went small:D

I have gone the other way, using 2x 16340's for 8.4v to feed an xhp70 de-dome due to that particular light being as is(not bored). I could always swap the m2(not bored) for the c2(that is bored) for 2x 18350 food and an even crazier output:crazy:..............but to want more than 3000lm, you would have to be:crazy::whistle:;)

Off to check out some short bodies............might have a look on OR site as well.........

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Also the EDC plus triple is a nice drop in for the money, can say the neutral is really nice. It does start in high if that is an issue! But if used outside or you need high straight off, its guaranteed so does have a flip side.

Been looking at those. Are they potted?

ven

Flashaholic
  • Pure Copper with real silver electroplating for superior thermal and electrical conductivity
  • Direct thermal copper MCPCB (new!)
  • Triple XP-G2 Optic with up to 90% optical efficiency. Smoother beam for v2 (new!)
  • Reverse polarity input protection
  • Over-discharge protection ~2.75v (applies only to High and Medium modes)
  • Linear current regulated. No PWM.
  • Thermally potted driver
  • Gold-plated spring
  • Stainless steel optic retaining ring (new!)

Thats the only info i know mr walker, does show potted!The neutral is not a 5000k neutral , in fact i have just had it next to the 4000k neutral malkoff and its a tad warmer...........

Now they may have sent a warm, but to me i would not say its that warm............Its a very nice tint anyway, warm side of neutral to me.

Nicely made and comes in simply the best case in the world :laughing: As you can use it to change bezel rings(well unless it was like a c2 i had which seemed to be super glued on) :laughing:

Its a recommend from me, as long as you dont mind the high start!

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those triples are nice. What advantage do they have over the single led models?

Besides being floody, triples have another advantage. Quite simply, they allow you to get levels of illumination that a single emitter just can't give you. A good example here is the Nichia 219. Many people here like this emitter due to its good color rendition. But it is inherently a small, low output emitter (compared with, say, an XM-L2 or XP-L). In order to get output from a Nichia 219 comparable to an XM-L2/XP-L requires multiple emitters. So with a triple Nichia 219, you get the best of both worlds - XM-L2/XP-L light output with Nichia 219 color rendition.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably already answered now, however:
A good triple = WALL OF LIGHT!
Singles = more "focused" beam. Wide variety of leds and tints to choose from. Less expensive in most cases.

Keep in mind when you start playing with different P60s, they are all built slightly differently. As you may have already noticed this. Less than obvious is that the outside circumference can vary slightly. With this being the case, it is a wise idea to order some copper foil tape with one of your orders. This will allow you to make the P60 snug (no rattle) and help maximize heat transfer from the P60 to the light head. Helping keep things cool. Keep in mind, in a pinch you can use thin (not heavy duty usually) aluminum foil.

I also forgot to mention Sporac drop ins. Good value and they have some nice triples. I have some. Going Gear carries them. For the price, they are hard to argue with and a great way to get your feet wet on a relative budget.

Good luck and have fun.

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
welcome aboard,i'm another guy hear that learned about solarforce hear on the forum! grate 6p host and the drop-in's are endless!but a little warning!the drop-in's can cost more then the flashlight itself!!who new,still learning myself,but having fun with my new hobby,enjoy yourself .:)