Earthquakes: There seems to be a lot of big ones lately

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been noticing that there have been a lot of large earthquakes lately. I live in southern California and we have been abnormally lucky that we haven't been struck by large earthquakes lately like much of the world. However, that's probably a bad thing because it means pressure is still building up for the big one to strike the west coast of the U.S. This month, there has been a 6.0 or higher almost every day (15 large quakes in 16 days). That is not normal or average. Let's start with the list (locations are approximate):

4/1/16 Japan 6.0
4/1/16 Papua New Guinea 6.2
4/3/16 Vanuatu 6.9
4/6/16 Vanuatu 6.7
4/6/16 Indonesia 6.0
4/10/16 Afghanistan 6.6
4/13/16 Burma 6.9
4/14/16 Vanuatu 6.0
4/14/16 Japan 6.2
4/14/16 Japan 6.0
4/14/16 Vanuatu 6.4
4/15/16 Guatamala 6.1
4/15/16 Japan 7.0
4/16/16 Ecuador 7.8

This seems to be a trend to me. Mt. Aso, Japan, a VEI 7 volcano is experiencing a "small scale eruption" presently. The Pavlov volcano in Alaska erupted toward the end of March and sent an ash cloud 20,000 feet into the air. Mexico's Popocatepeti erupted ash to over 11,000 feet on March 29 and is only 50 miles from Mexico City. There are several other volcanoes coming to life. What we've seen recently is probably not the end of this disaster streak.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Been happening all the time.
We just didn't know it.

Instant access to all things dramatic thanks to global newscasting makes it seem like tornadoes are happening in Oklahoma and Kansas for the first time ever.

But if you think back to the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy was swept up by one...she even said "we're not in Kansas anymore Toto".

Earth quakes and volcanos seem to happen in cycles, yet if not for them there would be no Colorado rockies, Mt. Everest, Japan or Hawaii.

Not trying to make light of recent events by any means. But not surprised by them.
Disasters are getting more costly and death tolls are rising because as the American Indian used to say "white people build tee-pee where red man not even hunt"...same applies all over the planet these days.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had a fun 5.2 two nights ago...always exciting I love them! Glad we were in the desert for it. You could hear this one coming for at least 10-12 seconds before shaking began.

It's good you find them exciting. I just hope I've moved out of a state before the overdue 7.2-8 magnitude San Andreas/Bombay Beach quake happens. Now that will be real exciting...

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like RedLED, I too was in the Desert for the 5.2, but this was my first quake in a two-story home...much more dramatic than a 6.2 quake a few years ago. The fact that you can see multiple oasis's along the San Andreas fault less than 12 miles from my home could be a cause for concern to some, but having never been hurt in one, I rather enjoy them....of course I also like skydiving & doing barrel rolls in Lear Jets so maybe that is why they call me Crazyeddie....

irongate

Enlightened
They are having or just did have a great big drill up in Wash. and Oregon about how to prepare for the Big one that is suppose to hit those states. Something to check out. The last big one there in that area had waves coming into Japan.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
It's good you find them exciting. I just hope I've moved out of a state before the overdue 7.2-8 magnitude San Andreas/Bombay Beach quake happens. Now that will be real exciting...
Been waiting for the big one. Not worried in the least. We'll be fine. They just don't scare me. There was a 7. Something 24 years ago, and nothing happened here.

Eddie is right, we see the San Andreas fault from our front windows, a panoramic view as we are up high with a view, but still below sea level a little.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like RedLED, I too was in the Desert for the 5.2, but this was my first quake in a two-story home...much more dramatic than a 6.2 quake a few years ago. The fact that you can see multiple oasis's along the San Andreas fault less than 12 miles from my home could be a cause for concern to some, but having never been hurt in one, I rather enjoy them....of course I also like skydiving & doing barrel rolls in Lear Jets so maybe that is why they call me Crazyeddie....
Jets from Bermuda Dunes (UUD)? I can tell by the takeoff if passengers aboard.

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been waiting for the big one. Not worried in the least. We'll be fine. They just don't scare me. There was a 7. Something 24 years ago, and nothing happened here.

I don't know where "here" is, but unless you are way outside the quake impact zone (for the seismic fault I mentioned earlier), "something" will definitely happen. Hopefully none of this ever comes to pass (wishful thinking), but based on my professional experience I know better.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jets from Bermuda Dunes (UUD)? I can tell by the takeoff if passengers aboard.

You're kidding, surely!

Not kidding-after using our Lear as an air ambulance and coming back with no passengers there were a variety of acrobatics we would practice. If a pilot is ever suddenly faced with a mechanical problem and an out of control jet, it is very reassuring to know the limits and to have experienced the various G forces.

Hi Ned,
Yes, we flew out of Bermuda Dunes more often than Palm Springs, and your right-when we would take-off without passengers we would be going wide open with an outrageous rate of climb...felt like a rocket....

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not kidding ............ there were a variety of acrobatics we would practice. If a pilot is ever suddenly faced with a mechanical problem and an out of control jet, it is very reassuring to know the limits and to have experienced the various G forces.
............ ....
[Emphasis to quote added by lightlover]

I'm sure you mean "very exciting" - WoW!

Crazyeddie, you have lived the life! Sounds like a Hollywood movie ...

(Just asking, which model Learjet?)

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
[Emphasis to quote added by lightlover]

I'm sure you mean "very exciting" - WoW!

Crazyeddie, you have lived the life! Sounds like a Hollywood movie ...

(Just asking, which model Learjet?)

Lear 55...It is pretty cool flying at night & seeing the curvature of the earth and the stars above...on my last flight as a Chief Flight Nurse I took my wife with me so she could see a sunrise from 33,000 feet...

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know where "here" is, but unless you are way outside the quake impact zone (for the seismic fault I mentioned earlier), "something" will definitely happen. Hopefully none of this ever comes to pass (wishful thinking), but based on my professional experience I know better.
That quake was in 1992 in the High Desert, did very little damage, we are the low (Colorado) Desert, just over the San Andreas fault. Minor damage in High Desert, Zero in the Lower Desert, (Coachella valley). It was like 7.2? So, I'm not worried.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That quake was in 1992 in the High Desert, did very little damage, we are the low (Colorado) Desert, just over the San Andreas fault. Minor damage in High Desert, Zero in the Lower Desert, (Coachella valley). It was like 7.2? So, I'm not worried.

Yes I remember the Landers quake near Yucca Valley. But that was not on the San Andreas fault and was fortunately in an uninhabited area. The long overdue southern San Andreas fault (Bombay Beach epicenter) quake will devastate the Coachella Valley, and much of Southern California. But don't take my word for it, or that of Dr. Lucy Jones or the other USGS & Cal Tech seismologists I've worked with on seismic risk assessment and mitigation during my career.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
They had to tone down Dr Jones, as she put fright in too many people, today she sounds quite a bit different. I didn't mean it was on the big fault, just it was a 7+, and not any real damage, forgot the name Landers. I'm still not concerned a bit.

Jones also said recently it may produce only a 7, that would not hurt the valley that much, an 8-9 yes.

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dr. Jones has not changed her assessment of the likelihood or impact of the seismic event I noted - she's no longer with the USGS and in a different role. The U.S. Geological Survey, the Southern California Earthquake Center, California Geological Survey, and hundreds of experts are all in agreement of the 7.8 m threat scenario.

If you prefer to feel unconcerned and love the excitement of earthquakes - you're certainly in the right location.

I was directly responsible for Disaster Recovery planning in Southern California for over 20 years and regularly participated in numerous workshop events with the aforementioned organizations. I was also in my office on Oct 1, 1987 (200 yards from the epicenter) when the Whittier Narrows quake hit that killed 6 and incapacitated/red-flagged our new data center. As a result, I can't share your optimism.

Latest posts