Prometheus        

Thread: SBFlashlights L10 died a strange death

Question SBFlashlights L10 died a strange death

Hi all,

Not a frequent poster here, if this has already been discussed happy to read the archives.

Otherwise I was wondering if you guys would have any guesses as to why this flashlight behaves in the following weird way: basically it stopped turning on. Replacing the battery didn't help at all (tried few different fresh batteries, no use). BUT when I stack up two AA batteries together in series (2.6 V approx) it works just fine!

Obviously that's not a fix for the 1-AA battery flashlight and its LED is obviously still alive - but I wonder what else could've died it in and if it at all could be fixed?

Thanks a lot!
    Art

Default Re: SBFlashlights L10 died a strange death

possible boost driver fried, return for replacement
    did you use a 14500 LiIon in it?

I did not.

And if it really had died how come it still works when I ramp up the voltage? Not only it works, it also cycles through the brightness levels as it's supposed to when you power it down and up quickly?

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

In the past I have fried the driver in a few Maratac's by using 10440 for too long, now they only work with a 10440. You may try a 14500( more than twice the power of two AA's), just don't use on high too long.....

Quote Originally Posted by Artem View Post
    how come it still works when I ramp up the voltage?
    You are boosting the voltage to get it to work. This suggests to me that the boost circuit is not working. That can happen from using LiIon, but it can also happen just because a part failed through no fault of your own.

Regardless of the reason, the light is broken and the next step is to replace it.

Contact SBFlashlights, and seek authorization to return the light, or buy a new one.

Just a quick update on this.

Contacted Brian from SBFlashlights, got an RMA, sent the light back, and they sent me a replacement at no cost.

Great work guys, love how you roll!

My experience with SB flashlights has been similarly stellar. Great products and great service.
    Thanks, CPF!