Zebralight H502r vs H502pr

zey

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I'm choosing a rear lamp for my bicycle and I come across the Zebralight H502r and H502pr. I understand that the H502r produces a wavelength of 620-630nm while the H502pr produces 650-670nm. May I know which is more suitable for use on the road? What is the typical wavelength produced by car LED rear lamps? Thanks in advance.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
630nm is the average nm for LED car brake lights. ZL describes the pr as "photo red" I dont know exactly what that is supposed to mean

zey

Newly Enlightened
630nm is the average nm for LED car brake lights. ZL describes the pr as "photo red" I dont know exactly what that is supposed to mean

Hi CelticCross74, thanks for the info. CREE started to launch the Photo Red about 1-2 years back, and it's able to produce 650-670nm wavelength. So perhaps I should settle with H502r instead of the H502pr.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the H502r if you plan on just using it as a tail light. I am pretty sure the red LED falls into the more visible part of the light spectrum making it more effective at being noticed. The photo red version is for those who need a deeper red light for developing film and it is believed by some to be the best option for preserving night vision.

zey

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the H502r if you plan on just using it as a tail light. I am pretty sure the red LED falls into the more visible part of the light spectrum making it more effective at being noticed. The photo red version is for those who need a deeper red light for developing film and it is believed by some to be the best option for preserving night vision.

Sounds good defloyd77. Wonder if anyone bought both H502r and H502pr and did a side by side comparison? :)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good defloyd77. Wonder if anyone bought both H502r and H502pr and did a side by side comparison? :)

I would be interested in a comparison too. Zebralight rates both lights 100 lumens on high, I would have thought the photo red version would be a little dimmer than the "regular" red version . I wonder if they are indeed the same output or uf Zebralight got lazy and just did a copy and paste job.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both red and photo red versions. Either one will work fine. I use the photo red on my bicycle because the regular red is better as a headlamp. I recommend the regular red if you are going to buy just one.

kj2

Flashaholic
I have both red and photo red versions. Either one will work fine. I use the photo red on my bicycle because the regular red is better as a headlamp. I recommend the regular red if you are going to buy just one.
I'm still deciding between both. Leaning towards the pr, but am want to use it has up-close light/ headlamp. Why do you prefer the regular as headlamp?

zey

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for your precious advice. Most likely I'll settle with H502r instead of H502pr. Though the duration of 4Hz strobe is just 1hr 50min, but because it's powered by AA batt, I could easily carry spare ones and replace anytime I wish, as compared to built-in Li-Ion battery on my Lezyne Strip Drive Pro (100lm).

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been running my light at M1. It lasts a long time. I wish there was a beacon mode available. Like you said zey, carry a few extra AA batteries too. I mounted my red Zebralight on the back of my helmet. I also use a Nitecore SRT 5 on the rear of my bike on beacon mode for day use. The 2.5 second beacon seems to be perfect timing for approaching traffic. I also put a red filter on it at night. The SRT can be too bright.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been running my light at M1. It lasts a long time. I wish there was a beacon mode available. Like you said zey, carry a few extra AA batteries too. I mounted my red Zebralight on the back of my helmet. I also use a Nitecore SRT 5 on the rear of my bike on beacon mode for day use. The 2.5 second beacon seems to be perfect timing for approaching traffic. I also put a red filter on it at night. The SRT can be too bright.

I wish the Zebra had a lower output strobe. People around here are very considerate of cyclists and my Planet Bike Superflash is more than enough for cars to notice me and give plenty of space when passing me, I would hate to blast cars with a 100 lumen flash if I don't need to to be honest.

zey

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight also suggested that I should go with H502r as the bike lamp. My Lezyne Strip Drive Pro can do 100lm of strobe mode for 5 hours, H502r can do approximately 1 hour 50 minutes. I'll be sparing a few AAs for a longer ride. At least I don't have to wait for a couple of hours to charge the lamp before using.

Boro

Newly Enlightened
+1
I too have both and use the "r" as my rear bike light. It is clearly brighter.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend investing in some Eneloops (rechargeable Ni-MH batteries), if you haven't already, so your nice new Zebralight doesn't get ruined by Alkalines leaking. A pack of 4 with the charger should keep it running your entire ride.

zey

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend investing in some Eneloops (rechargeable Ni-MH batteries), if you haven't already, so your nice new Zebralight doesn't get ruined by Alkalines leaking. A pack of 4 with the charger should keep it running your entire ride.

Yeap, I've got more than a dozen of Eneloops which I can use for this purpose. They're usually used for powering my FourSevens Mini MA and Zebralight SC51c.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
man....interesting thread. Wish I wasnt born with severe color blindness Id love to be able to tell the difference between the two ZL's

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
man....interesting thread. Wish I wasnt born with severe color blindness Id love to be able to tell the difference between the two ZL's

One of my best friends is colorblind. He cant see reds. Its funny because he uses blue flagging tape instead of red to mark off property boundaries for work. He can see red light. I thought red light might be " invisible " to him. I hadn't thought about testing different reds to his eyes before I saw your post. My next trick when I drink beer with him !

zey

Newly Enlightened
I've just ordered the Zebralight H502r. It's in Back Order status and Zebralight has no commitment on when it'll be in stock. Guess just gonna wait...

BTW, Zebralight also mentioned that currently there's no plan on upgrading the existing red flashlights.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
I've been very happy with my H502r on the back of my helmet. Also have one on the back part of the strap for my H52w (for running). It is the only ZL I have that takes a different click method to get to strobe (as the strobe is only on H2). Very clicky switch.

Steve

zey

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight has a new batch of H502r ready to be shipped yesterday and mine is on its way, what a surprise! It's good to see that there are many H502r owners here who appreciate this light. I'll complete my cycling lamp with this purchase. Here's my configuration:

Handlebar Lamp: Zebralight SC62d
Helmet Lamp: Zebralight H600Fd Mk III
Tail Lamp: Zebralight H502r