I'm blaming you guys

billcoe

Newly Enlightened
OK, portable lighting devices have never been the top of the list of things to have. I'm a climber, and having a nice headlamp is a great thing when you over estimated your time on route vs your lower skill level and it got dark on you. But you've been carrying the thing around for 2 years and haven't used it yet, you are just hoping that the battery is still alive. Every once in a while ya find yourself out in the yard pointing at a racoon. Ya pop onto Candlepower forum for some shockingly great advice and technical data and then move along. You look on in wonderment at folks both spending outrageous sums on flashlights, like $70 or more:), and then doing an incredible job detailing the specs and technical performance of them and being awestruck at their posts but not buying them. That use to be me.

Maybe I realized that there is no need to squint as I'm trying to load my boat out of the water in the dark, or worry about setting up the tent as I'm driving along looking at the current sunset wondering how many miles till the campground shows up. Maybe I just got old and decided that I can afford any damned light I want so why not gets some decent ones and put a few here and a few there and keep one by the bed so that I have one when I need one. No need to co chasing that miscreant, who tried to break into the house at 3am, down the street in just my underwear at 3 am. Not the usual crap, a good light. I'd bought a TK40 Fenix a few years back. It was stunning how awesome it was. STUNNING. So I protected it, left it in the drawer,: IN THE ORIGINAL BOX. I paid a lot of money and wanted to preserve it, so it's still in the drawer like new condition. DOHH! I have lived well below the poverty line in my life. And well above as well, and poverty before wealth certainly influences both your thinking and behavior. You guys are an inspiration and so if the wife asks about the Fenix PD35TAC, Pd40something, MH60 headlamp or Nitecore MH20something all showing up at once, I'm blaming you all. :grin2: Despite having the money to buy any light I want, it's hard to spend more that that. $300 flashlights shock the hell out of me. For now anyway. Old habits die hard they say.

And so my thanks to you all. Now I'll be working on getting rechargeable battery's to run them all:) The only decent light I have, the Fenix TK40 still in the drawer, will be getting pressed into service soon as well.

Regards:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteries, cells and chargers are now more intriguing to me, even more than the lights!

You're in trouble now.

Chris

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take that flashlight out for a spin. You wont live forever so why should that gear item?

I don't always agree, but nevertheless quite liked the customized vehicle license plate I used to see around Napa, California. It read, "USE IT UP."

The key is guilt-free lumens. Once you put your rechargeables into service, you will find a hundred reasons to use your flashlights, and no good reason not to.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Just think of them as tools instead of play things and as others have said get lights that can use rechargeable batteries and then maybe you will feel guilty when those batteries you paid money for aren't getting used so you aren't getting your money's worth from them. I wish I had money for $300 worth of lights I have a few decent lights but I lean very hard towards lights that are of a tool type nature ones that I "need" and will use rather than ones I would be tempted to have them as shelf queens.

jal

Newly Enlightened
Heh. I'm in a very similar watery vessel. Six months ago I never imagined I'd care about flashlights.

I started researching lights after an unfortunate camping trip. I just had typical household incandescents, and took three with me. Two died, and the third was close to useless. So I started looking around and ended up with a couple Nitecores (an MH25, which I find to be a underrated light, and an EC4S) and, because I hadn't seen such monsters, picked up a TK75.

Since then, it has been all downhill. The first warning sign was the first custom light I bought, and I believe the condition became chronic last weekend when I ended up ordering a PIC programmer[1] and talking someone about a milling job. On the bright side, this made me unpack my electronics gear, which had been sitting in boxes for way too long after I finished up a project a while back (urban housing leads to space-utility tradeoffs). I spend all day writing software; it is good for me to actually touch/solder/swear at these things once in a while.

In any case, welcome aboard. It is a much better habit to have than heroin, although probably not cheaper. And I second Bykfixer's Malkoff recommendation. I love the unassuming simplicity of the M2, and the thing is built like a tank, if a tank manufacturer were asked to build an heavy-duty tank, with a scoop of extra tank on top.

[1] Not for a flashlight. I'm working on what is probably best thought of as a self-illuminating sculpture.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Just think of them as tools instead of play things and as others have said get lights that can use rechargeable batteries and then maybe you will feel guilty when those batteries you paid money for aren't getting used so you aren't getting your money's worth from them. I wish I had money for $300 worth of lights I have a few decent lights but I lean very hard towards lights that are of a tool type nature ones that I "need" and will use rather than ones I would be tempted to have them as shelf queens.

I agree. Every time a tool is used it pays yea back! If not used the opposite is true. Just an expense with no equivalent exchange IMHO.

Archangel72

Newly Enlightened
Good Afternoon

My name is Gabe and I'm a flashaholic....
Welcome I see we have a new member :wave:

tops2

Enlightened
I think I'm pretty ok so far and haven't gone down the rabbit hole too far yet.
I did order 2 more BLF 348 (even though I have 2 right now). But I just love the tint of one so much..so want a few as backup.
But otherwise I'm done...but the Zebralight SC600Fd MKIII is close enough (but the SC600w MKIII HI just sounds so tempting), and I'm just slowly exploring P60 hosts + drop ins (especially triple high CRI), and the Sinner lights all just look so delicious...

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm pretty ok so far and haven't gone down the rabbit hole too far yet.
I did order 2 more BLF 348 (even though I have 2 right now). But I just love the tint of one so much..so want a few as backup.
But otherwise I'm done...but the Zebralight SC600Fd MKIII is close enough (but the SC600w MKIII HI just sounds so tempting), and I'm just slowly exploring P60 hosts + drop ins (especially triple high CRI), and the Sinner lights all just look so delicious...

Intervention! [emoji1]

dhunley1

Enlightened
Yeah, this place has definitely cost me some money. I don't think I took it too far though. I'm pretty content with my current lineup of lights.