What is your favourite Flood and Throw Pairing?

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you had to select two LED lights of roughly equivalent size or battery, one for flood and the second for throw, what pair would you grab?

Subjective categories can be;

1. Small. Single cell hot rods that take smaller than 18650.

2. Medium. Your friends look at you like you're an alien if you pull out a TK75 and 61 to walk around the block so you pick two lights a bit more compact.

3. Large. Go big or go home. Large is where the lumens are, even if you need a trolley to carry them both.

My selections from the lights I own are 1. TX25Cvn and PT16vn 2. SR52UTvn and X3vn 3. K70vn and TM26GT ( I don't own a true big flooder )

As you can see, I'm more of a throw guy than flood!

I'm sure you can do better, what are your favourite combinations?

Poppy

Flashaholic
If you had to select two LED lights of roughly equivalent size or battery, one for flood and the second for throw, what pair would you grab?
I'd only need ONE light, a zoomie.
The magical Navy Seals G700!

Zoom it out for close up work, or zoom it in for 1 or 2 miles away. BUT, If I wanted to light up the whole planet, all, I'd have to do is bounce it off of the moon, and make it look like the sun!

Oh... I crack myself up... :crackup:

For the most part, I'm just an average Joe user. I live in the suburbs, and don't go out much at night other than to walk the dog or take out the garbage. So for the most part my needs are for a short distance (100 feet) flooder. If I need a thrower, it isn't for more than 100 yards.

Run time is something that I am considerate of, and generally don't care to push my batteries too hard so that I can get better run-times. The harder you push the led, the greater the rate of diminishing return. Also, I've read that our perception of light generally requires 2 times the amount of light for us to perceive the difference. To obtain double the output may require 3 times the amount of energy from the battery thusly greatly affecting run-time.

So if I was to grab two lights to cover most bases, most of the time, (NOT A SAR Operation), then I'd grab two convoy lights, a S2+ @ 1400ma (general purpose flooder with a little throw), and a Convoy C8 @ 2.8 amps. as a thrower. 35,000-40,000cd.
Since lumens are additive, I could use them both at the same time.
I'd have about 2.5 hours on high with the S2+, and a little over an hour with the C8.
They are relatively small and can be pocket carried.

They aren't the ultimate super high output pair, but sufficient for most needs under 100 yards.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Poppy, the navy seals G700! I hope you bought it before it got banned by the police or by PETA because of all of the blind bears! I think I've missed out based on how urgent it sounded when I read it on Facebook. If I get attacked by a koala they will be hearing from my lawyers! :D

Failing that, your Convoy combo sounds good. :)

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw: McGizmo Haiku 119v
Flood: 18650 Brass prototype with a 10508 optic.

The Haiku has all the throw I really need for 99% of the time.
The sad thing though, is even with a medium optic my brass light will flood about as far as the McGizmo thows. So 170lm spot vs ~1000 lumen flood...

ven

Flashaholic
For 18650 size lights for flood,love the s2+ triples as really for output and size, they are hard to beat.

I also enjoy p60 triples,quads and the VOB xhp70....so any of them in a host.

Throw, well the ec32vn neural is a very nice tint,maybe pushing 40kcd.

Bigger , k70vn for throw.....well that is no surprise :p

Bigger flood , well the infinite control of the x40vnTQ is hard to beat for me(triple quad)

Also the tk75vnQ for ultimate output with more reach

Maybe this could be the go big or go home version :laughing:

Biggest will be the rc40vnT , that will be the largest and can't see me going bigger tbh.......That is a balance of throw and flood so a happy medium(and some)

Cheers

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, considering my recent EDC sized lights, for the SMALL category I have the following:

Flood
:
Sunwayman C10R (modded):
Cell: 1x Efest IMR 18500,
Emitter: Triple XPL HI neutral
Driver: FET with moppydrv e-switch firmware
Description: Manufactured as a 1xCR123 light with 190 lumens output, I modded mine into a compact pocket-rocket with over 10x the original output with a battery twice as big as the original. External dimensions are unchanged. Max output on a fresh cell should be around 2500 lumens. Entire light is 77mm long.

Throw:

Eagletac TX25c (modded):
Cell: 1xIMR 16340
Driver: FET with moppydrv e-switch firmware
Emitter: XPL HI Neutral
Description: Compact and lightweight pocket light with a relatively large and deep reflector. Modded with a new driver and emitter for more output (somewhat similar to the TX25Cvn, but I modded this one myself). It's bigger than the Sunwayman, but lighter weight and throws further. At a guess, maybe 600 lumens max output with a small bright hotspot and relatively narrow spill.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'll focus on the small light as for me, anything requiring the brightness of some lights cited I use a spotlight...except for the Maglite times.
They are my only medium sized lights...well and a good combo beam of the Stinger LED.

For the small light the Streamlight TL2 at 160 lumens has a fairly narrow beam that lights as far as I generally need, providing a dark/light contrast at a distance by not killing my night adjusted eyes with a bunch of close up spill.

For flood or an overall general brightness like items cited above (putting out trash etc) I like a few. PK FL2, Elzetta Alpha, any Malkoff'd light, Powertac Warriors like the PK Warrior 2 or the Warrior 850 and a couple of 3P sized lights I've put LED units into.

But I really, really like the focus beam of a Brinkmann Legend LX as it's output of about the same brightness of a 6P while being able to sweeten the hotspot or spread light outwards. Well that and the combo of spill and spot of the Pelican 3020.

I'm sure I've left a few of my favorites.

Last edited:

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for the answers, there are some unique lights there.

Ven thanks as usual for the pictures. A combo of RC40vnT and TK75vnQ certainly wins the argument for size. A thrower that throws so far it floods, and a flooder with so much light it still throws. An good exercise to lug them about! :D

Fireclaw18, perfect mini pair by the sounds, and credit for being your own creations as well. [emoji106]

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure I've left a few of my favorites.

Lol bykfixer, until you mentioned the 6P I thought I had stumbled onto some PC forum! The kind where you know it's English but you don't understand anything about the subject. I don't know any of those lights but I'll back your opinion that they are awesome....if it's not some late April fools day joke and they don't actually exist.....How much was it to fix my computer? Credit card ok for payment? :)

Coval Brandon

Newly Enlightened
I personally like the Fenix FD40 for both throwing and flooding. Not the best pick for either individually- but the fact it lets you use 18650 AND 26650s, of which I have a few, is an awesome design feature that I wish more lights had as an option. Big batteries need love too!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flood: That's easy to choose: Thrunite TN36UTvn cw domes on. This light is the most monstracious in the two and a half inch reflector diameter category. This is my current nighttime edc light. Maximum brightness of the flood beam in its head diameter category, enabled by 13,400 lumens, is what I like about this light.

Throw: I don't need to see small stuff far away, so currently my best thrower is the Noctigon Meteor M43vn XP-L pdtc. I like the green tint on trees and other foliage, instead of blue tinted foliage, and of course, I just absolutely love this flashlight.

Better for throw for me would be the Acebeam K60, when I am ready to add larger head diameter lights to my nascent collection.

Equitymind

Newly Enlightened
In the small to mid category:

Flood:Nitecore EC4SW nice tint and it still fits in my windbreaker pocket on night walks

Throw: Nitecore MH20GT - this is an amazing little light and literally out throws my Nitecore MH27 and maybe double the output of my MH20

Both: Zebralight SC600 Mk III - for when I want to carry just one light. It's basically my EDC.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see. Two commercial/retail lights? A Nitecore TM16GT and a EC4S. But I'm a four light kinda guy.

If you must, as suggested, a Nitecore MH20GT and a Nitecore TM16GT.

For night walking, a Nitecore HC90 headlamp and either a Nitecore MH20GT or a Nitecore EC4S to light the shrubs.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Lol bykfixer, until you mentioned the 6P I thought I had stumbled onto some PC forum! The kind where you know it's English but you don't understand anything about the subject. I don't know any of those lights but I'll back your opinion that they are awesome....if it's not some late April fools day joke and they don't actually exist.....How much was it to fix my computer? Credit card ok for payment? :)

I understand. For a long while I couldn't figure out why a flashlight forum kept talking about some Russian flu...Malkoff.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the small to mid category:

Flood:Nitecore EC4SW nice tint and it still fits in my windbreaker pocket on night walks

Throw: Nitecore MH20GT - this is an amazing little light and literally out throws my Nitecore MH27 and maybe double the output of my MH20

Both: Zebralight SC600 Mk III - for when I want to carry just one light. It's basically my EDC.

[emoji106]I have a Vinh modded ( XML2 PDT ) MH20 so I am resisting the GT. I agree that the throw of the MH27 is a little disappointing. But it was so shiny.....

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see. Two commercial/retail lights? A Nitecore TM16GT and a EC4S. But I'm a four light kinda guy.

If you must, as suggested, a Nitecore MH20GT and a Nitecore TM16GT.

For night walking, a Nitecore HC90 headlamp and either a Nitecore MH20GT or a Nitecore EC4S to light the shrubs.

Stop hating Nitecore will ya?! I reckon you are four Nitecore kinda guy. :D

The two GTs are not really the same size, but it's a good combination. A TM26 4000 lumen and a 16 GT would be a good pair to carry if you can keep your pants up. ;)