Solarforce M3 Versus Malkoff Hound Dog?

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
I couldn't find any direct comparisons between these two lights. My question is simple--which one is the better thrower?

I have two of Malkoff's Maglite drop-ins and two M60 drop-ins and love them all. However, I also have numerous Solarforce hosts and drop-ins and while not bomb proof, they do offers good product at an afforable price.

I like the idea of having a light that can go from thrower to more general lighting just by switching heads. With the Malkoff I can between the small head and the Hound Dog. With the Solarforce I can between the standard P60 head and the M3.

I know the Malkoff is the higher quality...I'm just interested in each lights throwing ability.
Thanks
JP

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
I have a solar force m3 run with 2 rcr123s. It is a very good thrower with a bright, tight hotspot. It is better than my Olight M22. My experience with Malkoffs are the M61 and 361. They are great indoors, but the claim of 350 feet throw is not accurate. I just came in from checking on the horses and spotted 4-5 deer about 110 yards away. My Malkoff M61 just lit up their eyes so I could tell something was there. When I switched to my 6p with a homemade XP-L v6 drop-in, I could see them clear enough to see their legs moving as they ran away. I am underwhelmed by the M61 performance and have trouble believing that the description of the performance of other lights is any different.

My son and I are going to put a new led and driver in the M3 and then it will be even better!

Good luck

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Malkoff does make his drop-ins with the intention that they may be run for hours on end. So he makes sure they can handle the heat that will develop. Im sure your homemade drop in is very bright. Can it run for hours on end without overheating?

My only experience with the Hound Dog is with an xpg emitter. It did manage about 75 yds pretty well. I've never used a SolorForce M3.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have a solar force m3 run with 2 rcr123s. It is a very good thrower with a bright, tight hotspot. It is better than my Olight M22. My experience with Malkoffs are the M61 and 361. They are great indoors, but the claim of 350 feet throw is not accurate. I just came in from checking on the horses and spotted 4-5 deer about 110 yards away. My Malkoff M61 just lit up their eyes so I could tell something was there. When I switched to my 6p with a homemade XP-L v6 drop-in, I could see them clear enough to see their legs moving as they ran away. I am underwhelmed by the M61 performance and have trouble believing that the description of the performance of other lights is any different.

My son and I are going to put a new led and driver in the M3 and then it will be even better!

Good luck

The M61s aren't dedicated throwers but that doesn't mean they don't preform. Just depends on perspective.

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
You both make very good points. The Malkoff drop ins manage heat extremely well and they have a near perfect beam pattern. I love mine for indoor use. I had it on my shotgun, but took if off because it doesn't have enough throw to shoot coyote. It is perfect for raccoons though! The quality of the Malkoff drop in is outstanding as well.

My homemade drop in is a good balance of throw/beam intensity versus heat and battery life. I have run it for up to 20 minutes at a time without heat build up. Outdoors, I need throw and beam intensity to see animals out to 200 yards. The Malkoff will not do that. So, like you said, different people need different things from their lights.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
You both make very good points. The Malkoff drop ins manage heat extremely well and they have a near perfect beam pattern. I love mine for indoor use. I had it on my shotgun, but took if off because it doesn't have enough throw to shoot coyote. It is perfect for raccoons though! The quality of the Malkoff drop in is outstanding as well.

My homemade drop in is a good balance of throw/beam intensity versus heat and battery life. I have run it for up to 20 minutes at a time without heat build up. Outdoors, I need throw and beam intensity to see animals out to 200 yards. The Malkoff will not do that. So, like you said, different people need different things from their lights.

I agree!