Serious tests of cell phone flashlights?

Tilion

Newly Enlightened
Time was, it was easy to feel a twinge of contempt for those using cell phones as flashlights. Not only those rapidly running down their low-Wh cell batteries trying to use the LCD as a dim light, but also those using anemic early cell phone LEDs. "Why can't these people get a proper tool for the job?"

But these days decent midrange phones have batteries with energy comparable to a 18650 and many of them have what seem to be rather decent LEDs. I was really quite pleasantly surprised by my Moto G 3rd gen's brightness.

Yet CPF threads I was able to find about phone flashlights seemed mostly either dismissive or angry.

It's reminiscent of the situation with cameras. Camera enthusiasts just laughed at early phone cameras. Then when the masses started relying on them, some complained that phones were killing photography.

But as phone cameras improved, enthusiasts and review sites started taking them seriously. Detailed phone camera reviews pointed out improvements and also showed the ways they fell short compared to dedicated cameras with large sensors and optics. Many general tech review sites were persuaded to improve their phone camera testing and incorporate methods from serious camera reviewers.

The results? Informed consumers who weren't previously camera enthusiasts have become more aware of issues in camera technology. Phone cameras have come a very long way due to competitive pressure. Camera companies, forced to find ways to give compact cameras compelling advantages over cell phones, have also made huge leaps forward (e.g. Sony RX100 vs all the 1/2.3" sensor compacts of yesteryear). A win all around.

Flashlight features won't be primary bullet points in phone ads any time soon, but I think some of those advantages could be had for flashlights as well.

• Is anyone aware of any serious tests of cell phone flashlights?

• What would it take to entice someone with an integrating sphere setup to do a cell phone test?

• (Is there a searchlight Selfbuilt-Signal one uses to summon him, because he is the hero CPF needs?)

• Wouldn't it be nice if general tech review sites started including a couple beam shots and lux measurements in their cell phone reviews? Would it be worth trying to persuade some reviewers?

scout24

Flashaholic
Interesting question and points! Funny story. My boss went out to a shed attached to his business on Saturday to look for an item belonging to a customer. Whipped his phone off his belt, found the flashlight icon on the front, and was looking on a shelf. I took my sc62w out of my pocket and lit up the inside like daylight. :) I really think the flash LED is optimized for camera flash use, with relatively poor heat sinking and resultant low output to protect components and not kill the battery. No thought given to tint, CRI, etc. They do, however, have a sweet mule-like beam that can be very useful for close-range work. As with most things though, there are compromises made when trying to do more than it was designed for. Maybe manufacturers will step up and include a decent emitter behind a small optic for some throw out the top or bottom of the phone, like near the charging port. At that point, you may see enough of a "Lumen War" among the phone manufacturers to make a comparison or reviews relevant. As long as they're using the flash LED "Bare Bulb" style, I doubt there's enough of a meaningful difference to warrant reviews yet. Boss said "What the heck is that???" I'm working on converting him now...

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Serious tests of cell phone flashlights? I would rather have a flashlight cell phone. I edc a flashlight that is big enough to make calls.

scout24

Flashaholic
Like REALLY hidden. I want to have to sacrifice a small animal or something to access it. If I needed it, the small animal would be needed protein, and not go to waste. But, I'd hate to trip over an SOS or strobe mode in day to day use, I agree. Lots. :)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
^These are the kinds of responses you should expect when this topic comes up, keep expectations low..

Flashaholics talk all the time about the benefits of a pure flood light with modest output for household use, but for some reason the cellphone is disqualified from consideration, despite its ubiquity and utility. Personally, I use my iPhone 6 light all the time about the house, since the phone is always with me and negates the need to carry a more massive flashlight. ~60 lumens of nicely tinted flood works beautifully for what's at hand, especially when you can access it instantly from iOS' pull-up menu at any time, no app necessary.

The discussion wouldn't be complete without mention of Nebo's CaseBrite, the 200 lumen iPhone case:

WituU1E.jpg

Tilion

Newly Enlightened
Scout24, sounds like the kind of story many enthusiasts are bound to run into. At least he wasn't using the LCD as a (~2 lumen) light.
I really think the flash LED is optimized for camera flash use, with relatively poor heat sinking and resultant low output to protect components and not kill the battery. No thought given to tint, CRI, etc... As long as they're using the flash LED "Bare Bulb" style, I doubt there's enough of a meaningful difference to warrant reviews yet.
I have to disagree with this part. Tint and CRI, like brightness, have noticeable effects on the quality of the pictures you can take, so competitive pressure has caused improvements here, and will continue to do so. Just as an example, the Moto G 2015's LED was not just a step up from my old phone in brightness, it also has a much more neutral and pleasant tint.

Since flashes have to be floody, it would take a flashlight-centered phone (kinda like the ZenFone Zoom etc which are not really cell phones with a camera but cameras with a cell) to come up with anything throwy; I don't anticipate that happening anytime soon. And the form factor does make super-serious heatsinking impractical; 1000 lumens for an extended period just isn't going to happen with today's technology. But there's still a lot of improvements that could be made today to make phones better flood flashlights.

StarHalo, thanks for the input! And though I'm on the android side of the fence and I might not buy such a case even if I weren't, for some reason I'm a little happier knowing the flashlight iphone case exists. Someone at least is trying to market towards the issue.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nebo has some pretty cool ideas in general.

I changed the background on my phone using a mostly light blue in a photo in order to put off a bit more pleasing tint when using the output of my home screen as a firefly mode.

In general I don't use the cel phone led for light. But one evening while helping my son fix a window molding on his car we had 3 flashlights go out in a short period due end life cycles of the batteries about the time he was 'trowling' the permatex. The cel phone light sure was handy at that time.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
StarHalo- I assumed from your post that you owned the Nebo, hence my asking about runtime, etc... my mistake. :)

Tilion- My experience is limited to my Galaxy S4, which has a very cool tint LED, as does my Wife's IPhone. Good to hear that some manufacturers are stepping up.

Richbuff- Agreed, it almost seems like cramming phone guts into some larger lights would make sense. We'd get looks walking down the street with a light held up to our ear, though... :nana:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phones are delicate and expensive enough without relying on them as a light source, that said there are a few that have decent LEDs for flash.
The Nexus 5x has a nice warm tint and cool tint LED that are balanced against themselves. The Nexus 6p not so much.

I'm of the position that a dedicated purpose tool is ultimately better when you truly need it. A phone is lucky to survive a drop, a flashlight practically lives for drops and beatings.

Tilion

Newly Enlightened
No responses from anybody who has so much as a lux meter, much less an integrating sphere setup.

Light the Selfbuilt-signal!

JlW2eVT.png

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I have light measurement equipment, its the availability of phones to test that is limiting.

:D

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run the latest Moto G 4G version and the staying power is not as good as my older version Moto G and although I have a flashlight app downloaded I would really have to think twice about using it as my phone needs a charge at the end of a working day.I honestly can never see the flashlight being used more than as a basic quick light to look for something in a hurry.The outlook for laptops and tablets to be crammed into a mobile phone is going to have to come up with some real super battery.

scout24

Flashaholic
Nice avatar, McNair... Does the Anorak come in different colors? :grin2: (Just a light-hearted question based on previous banter...)