Student needs recommendations for summer job

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a freshman in high school. I am hoping to get a job this summer, but am not sure what I should start out doing. It would just be a summer job, and I would be interested in working part time. I am not sure what I should aim for, so maybe you guys can help me out.

I love math and am very good at it (currently one year ahead of schedule). I like physics and technology. I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers. I most certainly would be interested in something in the flashlight-field, but I don't think there are any openings in my city at this time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif My weak point is English. I can speak and write it just fine, but when it comes to vocab tests or essay writing, I shudder.

Any recommendations? Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chengiz

Enlightened
Re: Student need recommendations for summer job

Find a job that is related to what you want to be doing in five years. Accept sweeping the plant floor if that is what it takes. I was talking to a guy who started 30 years ago, putting himself through school, in a machine shop. He is now the CEO of that factory (it manufactures all sorts of cool things for the military and civil aviation).

At your age there is very little available that is exciting, but hard work will lead to better things in most cases. Try to avoid something that will not lead to or help you in your future decision process.

But always have fun!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

when i was a freshman in highschool i mowed a whole lotta lawns and shingled a whole lotta buildings.. and during harvest i picked a whole lotta potatoes. heh

when i work part time jobs i try to find something that keeps me outdoors.. now that i'm a freshman in college i sometimes get opportunities to assist guides on hikes and white water rafting expeditions.. 1 to 7 day trips..

iddibhai

Enlightened

your campus should have a career centre type department, they can often give ideas.

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened

try interning for a law firm or I bank. they're stipends are pretty sweet and you get college credit.
don't intern for an entertainment company, they pay $10 a week and work you to death doing grunt work, however if you want to work premieres you can do that.
(for no pay of course)
Is Santa Barbara near hollywood etc? plenty of studios there. oops you said high school, well they're still interns at the High school level but usually it's senior yr.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with Chengiz. Start setting yourself up for your future (as corny as it sounds). Do not waste your time with jobs that will not help you down the line. Accpet the fact that right now you'll probably be way down around the bottom of the food chain ...... and that's appropriate at this stage.

My sister basically was a slave in Seattle for lawyers and judges while she was getting her para-legal degree(?). But her hard work was recognized and she had several very good jobs after she finished up....that was nearly 20 years ago. Currently, she is an investigator for the Federal Public Defenders office in Seattle. She is very well regarded and was asked to be loaned out to Texas for a case down there.

mike