Streamlight ProTac HL4 released-initial impressions

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This light uses PWM. If you don't like PWM stop reading here:

Ok, so if you're still reading....

After reading reports from the 016 SHOT show that Streamlight was upsizing the ProTac HL 3 to a 4, I yawned. But after reading the details I perked up.
What's this? Streamlight designing it to use primaries and 18650s?
Then I read that the core of the body is adjustable to adapt to differing diameters between 16mm and 18mm cells.

I began sticking coins in the piggy bank hoping to have the announced whopping $200 (stated potential price at the SHOT show) by it's scheduled April 15th release date. I figured online would be around $150.
Well it seems this thing is going for $99 at this point. That is the current price at a few reputable online sellers in the US. Higher later? Time will tell. Retail is $176.

The rated 2200 (30k) candela is nothing ground breaking. Frankly I was after the 600 lumens at 5+ hour runtime thing. Streamlight also chose a 60 lumen low. Now for many I suppose that's too much. But for carrying a flashlight the size of a Mag 2C it's a pretty good setting. Say you want to find your tackle box in an unlit shed, walk to the local ice cream store, or other general use Mag 2C type uses it's great.

Streamlight chose to TenTap the ProTac series. No change this time except...
Factory is the usual high/strobe/low. Setting 2 is the usual high only. Setting 3 is low, medium and high similar to Strions and Stingers. The 2 cell version is low/high with no medium.

This one tail stands. It also comes with a wrist lanyard instead of the usual neck length.

The body has a Scorpion type of rubber covering. If you like that feature vs the Stinger covering you'll appreciate this one. It is about like the Stinger in that the tail cap is exposed.

The glass lens is frosted. It's an opaque looking creature with an anti-reflective coating akin to fine camera lenses.

Looks kind of odd. But after dark you'll understand.

It arrives in a blister pack that can be reclosed. Also comes with 4 Duracell 123's.

Package now opened:
I slid the supplied cells in. Instead of the 18mm body swallowing up the 16mm primaries, each one went in like a round in a clip thanks to the adjusters. (My initial thought was a pair of 2 cell magazines to prevent battery flop...but not needed here). The next cell slides the previous forward. 1st to third slide out easily with 4th requiring a slight pop to the palm to get it out.

Head is fixed. Bezel is fixed. Dratz. I was hoping to see the innerds without declaring war on my new toy.

Turn it on and HOLY COW. Suddenly my well lit kitchen was even brighter. It was like reading a book near a window on a cloudy day and suddenly clouds part and the sun pops out.

I ten tap'd using momentary. The switch has a fairly long stroke for accidental click on prevention. So clicking it fast enough is not easy. The switch is about medium. The button is not hard, nor mushy. Engaging is not difficult even though the switch is recessed. Typical ProTac stuff.

The light is very weight forward. Think softball attached to a 6" stick. Now that's not a complaint. Just an observation incase you prefer a balanced light. If you are going to walk around with your thumb on the switch it'll be a drag after a while.

In normal carry your over hand or underhand grip near the center or forward will not result in fatigue. But this is not a cigar grip type light even though the body is plenty slender for that. Note, for the cigar grippers out there holding it between the middle finger and ring finger does create a surprisingly confident experience vs middle finger and pointer. I have found that instinctively that's how I cycle the thing.

Oh, speaking of cycling... when cycling with momentary, once you've reached the 3rd level that's where it stays. So if you use factory setting when you reach low for instance, if you quickly momentary it'll be low each time. If you wait about a second it returns to level 1. ie with practice you can morse code with it.

Others have reported that runtime numbers by Streamlight are conservative on 18650's. I'll do some testing at some point on new primaries. But today I do not have enough extra "good" ones to do that.
It has also been reported this light dims with time as cells deplete on high. But medium stays the same.

But I did note after a few minutes on high things get warm. Not hot, but warm enough to notice. The lens and cooling fins remained cool while the area around the serial number warmed.

Around twilight my den was dimming, and the ceiling fan was on medium. PWM check time. On high the room was bright. Uh, yeah...very bright. On medium no lines were noted in my camera and the fan blades appeared normal. On low a rapid PWM was noted in the fan blades but not the camera. It was also noted that tint is warmer on low.
Nice.
Today I did some further checking. At a shutter of 1/200th the PWM was captured on low. Nothing observed on medium.

On low the PWM may bother some. On the first night I used it weather was a rainy/ drizzly night and in real world use I did not notice it.

On medium.

Regarding tint, it appears Streamlight moved away from a copy paper white beam to something akin to a Malkoff neutral. When I did a side by side with other Streamlights the difference was striking. When a side by side was done with an M61 NL it appeared cooler than the Malkoff. More like the tint of a SureFire G2x Pro (minus the green).

After dark:
I noted right off the bat that on high this thing is bright. Duh. But I also noted I was not squinting when shining it on nearby objects.
My brain considered it was from having lit room adapted vision. It was drizzling on that night so I did not stay outside long.

But last night I hung around outside for about 30 minutes before trying it on high. It was amazing.

This is from about 3'.
I found the whitest, brightest, shiniest object nearby and tried to blind myself. It was crazy how mellow this light is up close. Not an up close step down like SureFire did. But genuine no self blinding with full output.

Yet it still lights up the block.
I went out back and shined it on a neighbors photosenser porch light and it turned off!!! WOW.
Mweew-ah-ah-ah (rubbing hands together)

Then I also noticed how well colors seem to "pop" out with it.

Things look natural while light bouncing off a nearby tree wasn't the least bit harsh.

I don't know the target audience for this one. But it will make a fine smoke slicer, search light, tow truck driver lighting, home defense, and general use light.

I'd bet a Pepsi some patents took place for this one.

Edits to occur...

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Streamlight used the 1/8th turn lock out feature and a thick o-ring to achieve a long time needed fix. Many Streamlights are plagued with an issue of cap being barely twisted causes light to fail.
The thick o-ring causes it to put up a fight to untwist it. Nothing major, but certainly enough resistance to stay put. And it rotates some 15° or so before lockout occurs.
Thank you Streamlight.

Spring is soldered to the mechanism. I suppose that is a durability feature, but not being a flashlight mechanic that is speculation on my part. Unseen in the unfocused depth of field pic, but there are 2 holes at 180° apart to allow a spanner tool to be used like many serviceable tail caps.

The adjusters are sorta like springs. Simple, yet brilliant.
No spring at the upper end, yet those "huggers" should do the trick as shock absorbers.

Hard to tell what is what here. But it appears to be a giant emitter and a smooth 3 stage reflector.

Recessed but easily reachable switch. Easily tail stands with the lanyard attached. But being top heavy it could easily tip at a slight angle.

Rubberized cover is max-grippy.

Note: the following pix are using supplied primaries.

There is a spot. But there is a nice blend going on here.
(Note: no PWM observed at 1/24th second shutter speed)

Spot grows with brightness increase. Seemingly infinite side spill as well.

On high there is literally no discernable edge to the beam. So many photons are being blasted out I suppose, bouncing off oxygen molecules and whatnot the circle has no defined edge unless you turn your head nearly 90° side to side. Even then it tapers to darkness....
It's all about the beam and the HL4 does not disappoint.

Did I mention this thing is bright? To the right (outside of the pic) is the photosensing porch light I mentioned. This light caused it to turn off last night.
(Note: it was not on the night this pic was taken)

Check out the even lighting front to back. The house in the distance (mostly hidden by the tree) was paced at about 800' away. Yet the car is like 50-75' away.

Anybody on the fence about this one in my view will not regret the decision to plunk down about $100 and the $ to add some cells.

Well that's about it for now.

At some point I'll talk more about the 600 and 60 lumen settings.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Great write up, always a great read:) Looks a very useful beam and nice tint too...............win win!!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the write up. Do the cell adjusters make it difficult to remove the cells?

First through third slide out easily.A plop to the palm gets it going for super fast battery swap. A bit of wiggling will do if you're in no hurry.

Great question btw.

Now for 18mm's...hang on a few tix...
18's require a plop to the palm for both. 2-3 plops for the first one in.
No major struggle. Yet when you remove the tailcap batteries do not fall out on their own.

Great write up, always a great read:) Looks a very useful beam and nice tint too...............win win!!!

Thanks. It's my first Ven bright flashlight. And I kept thinking the way you describe the output of your 'triples' may be similar to this one.
If so I see what all the fuss is about.

At one point last night my wife joined me. While shining it on nearby bushes and trees she remarked how it was so bright but not. She quipped "I should be squinting, but I'm not."

ven

Flashaholic
I do like a nice variety of beams, but for me the most useful are biased towards flood..............if they throw well too then happy days! Triples/Quads are a HUGE hot spot, but once a few metres back its just pure flood........with reasonable reach(by that i mean your not going to spot someone 300m away, but enough to be of use) The malk drop in is superb for a smooth beam and hardly noticeable hot spot after a few metres. The xhp70 de-dome p60 is like a malk drop in on steroids ,as its around 10x the lumen! smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth.............

As you say the beauty is lighting up all in front without any bounce back from a concentrated hot spot, yet enough output to light it all up, without the need for one.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ I'll never look at flashlights the same.

Today I've gone from one extreme to the other...

While pilfering through an old sack of "junk" that was at my pops house in a "throw away" bin I found the original firefly flashlight of my youth...

The ever faithful doctors penlight of the 1970's.
So later on tonight if weather doesn't allow me to go out and play with the HL4's lower settings I'll be inside re-habing a light used to play doctor when I was a kid. (Yes that kind hee hee)...

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Cool, now is that possibly an xhp50 or one of my fav's the xhp70!

C4 from searching is not an LED.........so I am pressing a Cree xhp flavor of some kind ,which makes sense with the high output over the xpl etc etc LEDs
The way you describe the tint too seems to be along the xhp70 route, cool side of neutral ,but not a cold white.....

Imagine part of the reflector design would be able to minimize/get rid of any donut hole.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Cool, now is that possibly an xhp50 or one of my fav's the xhp70!

C4 from searching is not an LED.........so I am pressing a Cree xhp flavor of some kind ,which makes sense with the high output over the xpl etc etc LEDs
The way you describe the tint too seems to be along the xhp70 route, cool side of neutral ,but not a cold white.....

Imagine part of the reflector design would be able to minimize/get rid of any donut hole.

Most of that is over my head as I've never really studied LED nomenclature, and not trying to sound brash, but was never really interested. Partly due to remaining storage space in me noggin and partly because standards, specifications and accountant stuff at work keeps purjing recent memory banks.

Remember: I'm still digesting bulb types... so at some point I'll catch up to you guys I suppose. I arrived here 20 years behind.

And yeah that acrylic block of deflector thing-a-mah-bob probably keeps away the bulls eye beam shapes.

texas cop

Enlightened
So can we now expect U.S.A manufactures to start using the latest. Got a little embarrassed watching SureFire and Streamlight use old tech on new products.

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing: will give it a few months and i will be asking you what LED this and what LED that:p especially when you get your new LED book:poke:;)

Could be the xhp50, either way its 4 small dies together!

Bulb types..............incan night tonight(in the 6p):)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So can we now expect U.S.A manufactures to start using the latest. Got a little embarrassed watching SureFire and Streamlight use old tech on new products.

Ironically they used to be considered the innovators.
Can't say I've been embarrased per sae that they have not been out front on all things gadgetry.
Many feel they've been resting on their laurels so to speak.
Me, I'm glad they still see flashlights as battery powered fire on a stick and have not entered the lumen wars in general or tried turning their products into gizmos and gadgets. Instead have kinda stuck with the Swiss Army Knife approach.
But then again I still wear Levis jeans so my opinion is moot.

:laughing: will give it a few months and i will be asking you what LED this and what LED that:p especially when you get your new LED book:poke:;)

Could be the xhp50, either way its 4 small dies together!

Bulb types..............incan night tonight(in the 6p):)
Ya know, I came here to learn how to install an LED bulb inline with an incan bulb in my car.
At some point I reckon I should do that. lol.

Yes I still consider and LED emitter a light bulb. Maybe if they all arrive de-dome'd my mindset would change?
In the meantime I hope you enjoyed that incan beam last night.

I wanted to play with my new Streamlight. But the wife had other plans. Only flashlightin' I did was the Alpha at a 2am nature call.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the look of this light. I'd never really checked out Streamlight however.
I like lights that are designed from a utilitarian perspective and this one looks like a great work light from its form factor to beam shape and UI. A generally very handy looking light, great for general purpose.
I also enjoyed your write up/review.
CPF makes me bleed cash so I'll try to resist for now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I really like the look of this light. I'd never really checked out Streamlight however.
I like lights that are designed from a utilitarian perspective and this one looks like a great work light from its form factor to beam shape and UI. A generally very handy looking light, great for general purpose.
I also enjoyed your write up/review.
CPF makes me bleed cash so I'll try to resist for now.

Preciate the compliment. Yes it's a great work light. Hence the reference to that old faithful Mag 2C.

I try to say things in general terms. An actual full fledged review is best left to the experts in my view. They have all the gear, know how and speak the language.

But being this is a brand new product by a company that is largely quietly going about business using tried n true methods I wanted to speak about some of the vast improvements of this one over their previous offerings in the round bodied flashlight world.

I really liked the tint, the even lighting, the rattle free battery tube and my favorite was that medium 600 lumen with several hour runtime.

I also liked the 60 lumen low. Again Mag 2C reference. It puts out light akin to the Mag 4C in brightness while being a lot smaller.
One thing I did not mention is that it makes the Mag 2C feel like a lightweight. It feels like a 2D weight-wise.

I fully understand the bleeding cash thing. My Malkoff flu is in remission. But the incan plague has a kung fu firm grip on me lately.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been unsuccessful in locating a non-frosted optic for mine. I thought of polishing the frost away, but I am unsure if it would make the light a serious throw monster, or just screw-up the beam profile, and I highly doubt SL would send out just an optic in case I screw up the stock one.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
bykfixer, if you happen to have a MagLite ML50L, I was wondering if you could compare the throw and beam quality.

I know the Streamlight is rated a bit higher, but I also know that the rated specs also don't always tell the real story.

I ask this because I went "full in" with the new model MagLites, after reading YOUR reviews of the new ML25LT's and bought a few of the 2 and 3 cells, also a few of the ML50L's in 2 and 3 cells, and of course the ML300L in 3 cell, so while I'm a Streamlight fan, I've been carrying the 2 cell ML50L at work and am very happy with it, and don't want to spend the money on the HL4 unless there is a noticeable difference.

P.S. I'm holding YOU (bykfixer) responsible for all these Mags I've purchased recently, so don't let me down. :naughty:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
bykfixer, if you happen to have a MagLite ML50L, I was wondering if you could compare the throw and beam quality.

I know the Streamlight is rated a bit higher, but I also know that the rated specs also don't always tell the real story.

I ask this because I went "full in" with the new model MagLites, after reading YOUR reviews of the new ML25LT's and bought a few of the 2 and 3 cells, also a few of the ML50L's in 2 and 3 cells, and of course the ML300L in 3 cell, so while I'm a Streamlight fan, I've been carrying the 2 cell ML50L at work and am very happy with it, and don't want to spend the money on the HL4 unless there is a noticeable difference.

P.S. I'm holding YOU (bykfixer) responsible for all these Mags I've purchased recently, so don't let me down. :naughty:
Geez, I don't know whether to say thanks or I'm sorry. lol.

Eh, keep your money for metal reflectors. I do not have an ML50, nor do I have plans on one. I do have an unknown model number Mag 2D Pro. Iirc it's 275 lumens.
That and a TL2 LED are my personal favorite throwers. (And a Coast HP7 rechargeable) They throw a good long ways without killing my night adapted vision. Likely similar to your ML50.
(Dawg gonnit, you got me wanting one now)...

I'll throw some technical stuff at ya first.
My Streamlight TL 2 LED is an older 160 lumen beam that throws 29k+ candela.
My 2D rated at 33k+ candela.
(Your ML50 24k+ candela)
The HL4 says 30k candela.

That's a bunch of numbers. But what does it mean?

I'll say this...the TL 2 or Mag (twisted to spot) held by a buddy at say 5-600' have a beam that you at the other end could read a magazine by. The pencil beam on them does a great job.

The HL4 would light a billboard at that distance. But that is at nearly 10x the lumens of my Mag and even more than that of the TL2.

As you probably know the Streamlight HL lights are flooders. Non HL use pencil beam with a gentle side spill like Mags twisted to spot.
This one is a 40 days/ 40 nights flooder.

The medium setting takes it back to being similar to a 2 cell ProTac HL with 5x the runtime.

Look I'm not saying "go buy one" by any means. Especially across the big pond with all that shipping costs and all. But when they do arrive on your side of the planet it's an amazing light experience.
The mere fact that you can turn it on high, aim it at a ceiling of a 3 meter x 3 meter room and hardly squint... then like I said, turn off your neighbors light sensing porch light from 35 meters.
Wow!

Enjoy that ML50 until. Unless you need a warehouse lighter you aint missing thing until...

So Dano, if Streamlight did not chemically bond the frosting on permanantly and you can remove it as it feels like Lexan...maybe a ScotchBrite pad to the Lexan can certainly scuff it enough to diffuse things back similar to factory, at least that would be my guess.

I frosted these polycarbonates with said ScotchBrite pad to eliminate a Nichia induced egg yolk looking spot on these $3 lights.
The left one is a compromise to keep throw a little better.

Before

The compromise vs fully diffused.

Or...perhaps a temporary diffuser stick on from flashlight lens .com fastened to the glass lens.

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, I don't know whether to say thanks or I'm sorry. lol.

Eh, keep your money for metal reflectors. I do not have an ML50, nor do I have plans on one. I do have an unknown model number Mag 2D Pro. Iirc it's 275 lumens.
That and a TL2 LED are my personal favorite throwers. (And a Coast HP7 rechargeable) They throw a good long ways without killing my night adapted vision. Likely similar to your ML50.
(Dawg gonnit, you got me wanting one now)...

You KNOW you want one!

I have been carrying the 2 cell ML50 and love it!

I'm actually all American here, born and raised in Pennsylvania and living in Delaware (DE) now, but I'm actually down in the Outer Banks right now, enjoying some vacation.

And thanks, I agree about all the numbers, as I said I've found them sometimes not telling the whole story.

From what you've told me I think I'll stick with the ML50 for now.

I'll be sending you the bill for ALL of my recent MagLite purchases! :D

Last edited: