Inova, Surefire, Arc, - need help - what to get?

lightoftheworld

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
This is my first post here, and I would like to ask ya'll a qestion. I am looking for an EDC light. I want the biggest thing I can stand to carry everyday so that it will be bright for as long as possible. From everything I've read, I like the Inova x5 because it is supposed to last about 20 hours, but it only puts out about 7 lumens. And I like the Surefire lights, but they only last about 60 minutes at full brightness of 65 lumens. Is there anything in between? It doesn't need to last 20 hours like the Inova, and it doesn't need to be as bright as the Surefires either. I'm looking for something in between. I would like something that puts out about 15-20 lumens for maybe 7-8 hours. Is there anything like that? I would like it to be regulated so that it will maintain a steady output of light. The Surefire L1 LumaMax boasts 15 Lumens of light for 2 hours, but I thought the ARC LSH was supposed to be able to do that and it only uses one battery. Am I missing something here? I am thinking that if they made a body for the ARC head that would hold three 123 lithium batteries in a row, that it would produce a decent amount of light for a fairly long time. But I don't know of anything like that. Surefire makes some lights that hold three batteries. I am thinking that would be about the biggest thing I could stand to easily carry. I also want something with a clip. I was wondering what a Surefire E1E head would do on one of their three battery bodies like the C3 Centurion, but that sounds like too many expensive things to buy and put together. Doesn't anyone make something like that? And I want something that has a cool white light, not one of those yellowish lights. I think that means I want a Luxeon bulb, but I don't really know all that much. O.K., enough said, go ahead and hit with all you've got!

Thanks, Shane

chumley

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Shane. I think a read a post that the Arc LS with the 2AA battery pack can get up to +5 hours with lithium batteries. The lumen output would be 15 to 23 depending on whether it is standard or premium model.

Also, I think I read that the X5T is closer to 13 lumens with fresh batteries.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Welcome to CPF!
The Inova X5T is about the same size as a Surefire E2E or L4. A lot depends on how you're going to carry them. If you're going to use a holster you can carry larger lights and more of them. A 2x123 is about as large as I can comfortably carry in a front pants pocket.
You can get the long runtimes you want by using a 3x123 with a 1 watt luxeon.
A KL1 on a McLux 3x123 or UBH(Universal Battery Holder).
A KL3 on a C3/D3/6P/Z3.
I have a KL1/McLux 3x123 and a Surefire C3/KL3. The KL1/McLux is smaller, it's just a little bigger than a MiniMag.
The Surefire KL1 & KL3 that I've seen have a blue tint.
For EDC I prefer a smaller light like an ARC LSH-P, ARC4+, E1e/KL1, McLux 1x123, Firefly,etc.
The Surefire L1 is a one cell light, but it's the size of a two cell light.
You can get in on the UBH preorder here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MODS&Number=424713&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
You would need a Surefire tailcap and a KL1.You could use 2AA batteries or 3x123.

You could get a McLux 3x123 here
http://secure3.dnsaction.com/~anlighte/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=62&osCsid=c111d663503afc92a82d76566900ee08
You would just need a KL1 with this combination.

The Surefire E series (E1, E1e, E2, E2e)lights are smaller in diameter than the Classic series C2,D2,G2,6P.Z2,C3, etc. and they use different bezels unless you get an adaptor called a E2C
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MODS&Number=365166&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Baadbeams

Newly Enlightened
Welcome! Don`t think the Arc would last long with 3 123 batts...or smell good either. How about the Streamlight twin task L-2...or is it 2-L...well anyway...the one with 3 5mm leds and a incandesant main beam? Long run time on the LED`s...maybe 7 hours bright burn time and pretty bright on the main (1 1/2 hour running time more or less)...around $30 bucks shipped.

Ken

Mrd 74

Enlightened
Shane
Check out the Streamlight TL-2 LED,it seems to me that it has most of the features you're looking for including the clip.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Humm-

I wonder what the runtime is on an E2e with the KL1 head?

If it was decent (>4 hrs) I'd say buy a Surefire E2e, then get the KL1 head. Now if you wanted to expand you could add a KL4 head and even go on with maybe a E1e.

You could would end up with 6 variations
E2e (Incandescent)
E2e w/KL1 (1 watt LED)
E2e w/KL4 (5 watt LED)
E1e (Incandescent)
E1e w/KL1 (1watt LED)
E1e w/KL4 (5 watt LED, also know as TW4)

Add to that a custom made adapter and then you can use 6P heads on your E2e with their P60 and P61 lamps

GregR

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
what you want is the arc4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

small
adjustable output (bright with shorter runtime, or dimmer with longer runtime(
2-123 body option.
clip

the arcs were designed to be edc lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nexro

Enlightened
Roth,
Your post sounds like an ad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, I think what you need is probably an Arc LSH or Arc4 and the Arc AAA.
That way, you have the AAA for low/medium lighting and the LSH or 4 for work that requires more light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Baadbeams

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, a lot of great choices lightoftheworld. You might have to get more than one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just to make matters worse Surfire is rumored to be coming out with a multi power level light too. How soon do you want the light (I know...yesterday).

Well, is there a price range...an amount you don`t want to go over?

Ken

lightoftheworld

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone.
Let me ask you about some of those suggestions.
I am thinking that the KL1 on an E2e would be really nice. Would the KL1 fit on any 3 battery Surefire bodies like the C3 Centurion? It looks like the McLux Power Pack would take some work to put together and I don't have anymore time for projects right now, and I don't want to wait to the end of February for the UBH. Besides, if I spend that much money, I want to get a whole flashlight that comes with a head and tailcap, not just a body.

What is the KL4?

I like what I have read about the Streamlight TL-2 here: http://flashlightreviews2.home.att.net/reviews/streamlight_tactical.htm

And could anyone tell me more about the Arc4? Where is the best place to get one? Do they come with a 2-123 body? How much is it to get it with the 2-123 body? Hoe long does anyone think it will last pushing out about 20 lumens? Is there any reason it should last any longer than the Streamlight TL-2 that takes 2-123 and runs at about 22 Lumens?

Shane

lightoftheworld

Newly Enlightened
Ken,
I like the sound of the Streamlight TL-2 because it is so cheap, but I would be willing to spend more if I could find the perfect light combination. I will only be buying one light for now, so I want to make it a good one.

What is a Surefire Z3 or 9P?
I've heard of the Z2 and 6P.
Shane

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
kl4 is the 5w version of the kl1, basically.

the streamlight twintasks are nice, but no comparison to arcs or surefires...

the arc4 is the latest design from arc. it's an evolution of their ls models, and is a 1w led with a special reflector, driven by a computer (that's right, computer, with upgradable software and everything!), to achieve different brightness levels (brightest (over 30lumens) for a fairly short runtime, to dimmest (no idea on lumens, likely less than 2) for hundreds of hours) or anywhere in between /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
in addition to the selectable output, it's completely "intellegent" and will adjust the output depending on battery life, thermal issues, etc.
for example, if the arc4 detects that your battery is pooping out, it will automatically stepdown for you, to ensure that you can safely get to a place to change the battery.
you can also set it to react differently (different brightness options, different modes, sos, find me beacon, etc).
a 2-123 pak isn't availble currently, but will be out eventually.

it's the "ultimate" edc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (of course i'd never endorse carryong only one edc, but if i did, this would be it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Turt

Enlightened
Shane, it seems like you are on the road to becoming a flashaholic... save your money and just get the best now. Arc4+ You can get around 4 hour run time at setting 4 or 5 (help me out your runtime buffs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) And I do believe that is at least 15 lumens at that setting. Plus you have the option for 30+ lumens when you really need it.

Baadbeams

Newly Enlightened
I beleive the Surefire KL-4 is a 5 watt light...very well liked by the board...runs on 2 123 batts...maybe 3...not sure if the regulator could handle it...wide beam...you can use the search engine at the top of thas thread to find out a lot about it.

The Arc 4 is a new release. It has 16 differant power levels...the few folks that have them seem very happy with them. Arc may have some seconds still available. It would have a long run time in the lower power levels. And I understand it`s no slug in the higher power settings. Check out the Arc forum for more info.

Surefire may be coming out with one similar...possibly called the U-2. No...not named after a submarine...stands for ultra 2.

Both these lights are projected to cost more than $200...and both are/will be state of the art.

Ken

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Shane, I'd like to second the 3x123 setup for the KL1. You can also TRY to get one of the 3x123 cell holders for the KL1 from www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm , if anymore are available. IIRC you get about 6 hrs of regulated light followed by a few more hours of dimming but still usable output. Good luck, and much as you'll deny it, you're definitely becoming a Flashaholic!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Inova, Surefire, Arc, - need help - what to ge

I don't see the Vitalgear packs listed at batterystation any more, but Tadgear has them:

http://tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/flashlights%20main/vitalgear_fbaa.htm

They will run a KL1 for over 8 hours.

Note that the Surefire L1 is a one cell light despite its largish size. It will run much longer than 2 hours in the low powered mode.

You might also look at the Streamlight Twin Task 2L or the Surefire A2, in addition to the Arc 4+. Selectable power levels gives you good control over brightness and runtime. For lots of things, low intensity is enough.

Edit: What?! They say sold out. Oh well. Maybe more will show up sometime.

The suggestion with the Arc LS (LSH, etc.) is to use a 2AA pack and two L91 lithium AA batteries for 6+ hours of runtime. Those batteries are about $2 each so it gets a bit expensive after a while, but with the (now hard to find) 2AA twisty pack, the light should be smaller than the 3x123 Vitalgear+KL1 combination. Of course you could save a lot of cash by using rechargeables in the same pack, for 2 hours or so of runtime on a pair of decent AA NiMH cells.

lightoftheworld

Newly Enlightened

O.K., here is what I've narrowed it down to:
#1 An Arc LSH with the AA extension body, or
#2 A KL1 with a E2e or 3x123 body, or
#3 Streamlight TL-2

Has anyone used any of these combinations?
Thanks,
Shane

Turt

Enlightened

Between the Arc LSH and the KL1. The Arc will have a much better beam color... I don't have the TL-2 so I don't know about that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

please forgive me if i sound like an arc representive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

i'd choose the arc. reasons:
*aa's are cheaper and more readily available
*arc is "pickier" about led bins, meaning that they will (in general, maybe not always) be whiter than their surefire counterparts
*the lsh is a highdome, so in addition to whiter, it will have more throw
*waterproof 50ft (i'm really not to sure of the seal on the kl1, but there is no mention of depth resistance that i'm aware of, and the seal on my e2e leaves some to be desired)

some pros for the kl1
*runs on 1 or 2 or 3 123s (personally, i wouldn't run it on 3-123...)
*more agressive knurling

i guess personally, i've never seen the reason for the kl1 at all, as the arc does what it does, and better.
i suppose it is nice for those with e2e's or e1e's to use when they wanted more runtime, but i don't really get that either.
i bought my e2e for good brightness in a small package. kl1 on an e2e can't deliver that, so i don't see the use there.
putting the kl1 on the e1e is more feasable for me, but if i do that, i might as well get the arc!