Alkaline brand least likely to leak?

Scotsman1886

Newly Enlightened
I have a three C cell maglite that has great sentimental value. I had an alkaline battery leak and I am dealing with getting it out(another story)

What brand is considered the least prone to leak?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a three C cell maglite that has great sentimental value. I had an alkaline battery leak and I am dealing with getting it out(another story)

What brand is considered the least prone to leak?
Good luck figuring that out as I've had all brands leak in the past and I don't give much credence to this new duralock hype as the guarantee on the package is the same old one that previous batteries gave. My advice is to store the batteries outside of the light till you need to use it then remove batteries after use.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer and Duracell both have a warranty or guarantee. Where as if they leak, they will replace the item. Usually they give you some obscure value and send you a check. Look up their deals.

Otherwise, you could use Energizer AA lithium cells with D adapters. It won't have the run time, but you will not have such a worry about leaks. And weighs less as a bonus.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
While the guarantee will replace the flashlight when it is damaged, that isn't enough if it has sentimental value. NiMh is less likely to leak and LSD (but not eneloop brand) C cells are made, but expensive. It is best not to use it if that is a feasible option.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use many makes of Alkaline and never suffer from all the bogeyman stories about leakers. I like the GP brand for all my r/c cars and many take 8 AA in the transmitter.Duracell always have offers so I loads of them as well.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
I use many makes of Alkaline and never suffer from all the bogeyman stories about leakers. I like the GP brand for all my r/c cars and many take 8 AA in the transmitter.Duracell always have offers so I loads of them as well.

This is a good point, many times Alkaline cells are used without issue. Do you use them and then remove from the device (for disposal or otherwise) after you are finished using the device?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You're paying more for a cell that doesn't hold output/brightness as long and may damage your device in alkalines; Eneloops/NiMHs are the better deal all around.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good point, many times Alkaline cells are used without issue. Do you use them and then remove from the device (for disposal or otherwise) after you are finished using the device?

Common sense would tell me to remove them but I must be honest I never do as I never get leakage problems.

You're paying more for a cell that doesn't hold output/brightness as long and may damage your device in alkalines; Eneloops/NiMHs are the better deal all around.

Alkaline batteries are a fraction of the cost of Eneloop and I thought the post was about Alkalines.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Alkaline batteries are a fraction of the cost of Eneloop and I thought the post was about Alkalines.

1 x Duracell AA: $0.50, 1 use @ 2200 mAh each = 2,200 mAh, $0.00023 per mAh.
1 x Eneloop AA: $3.25, 1000 uses @ 2000 mAh each = 2,000,000 mAh, $0.0000016 per mAh.

Alkalines are over 14,000 times more expensive than Eneloops.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amaloops don't leak.

Ok..ok they are Amazon Basics rebranded Eneloops made in Japan and everything...but cheaper. :thumbsup:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I know is that from my experience in the past 4-5 years, I'd never get a Duracell if I had to pick between those and Energizers.. have had far too many corroded Duracells in my devices.

Naturally I would only recommend Eneloops as well, but iirc, Eneloops in C size are crazy expensive.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Common sense would tell me to remove them but I must be honest I never do as I never get leakage problems....

I know you post about this rather frequently, but I am always quite frankly amazed at this.

Have you really, truly, never, ever ... had any alkaline battery leak ? In use, or out ? Fresh, or old ? Full, or empty ?

How many alkaline batteries have you used in your lifetime, would you think, at a very rough guess ?

I am genuinely curious ....

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
I was going to ask the same thing. I have had numerous leaks - kid's remotes, torches, bike lights, the usual common denominator is that they had been left semi-depleted for a while but that is not always a factor and I have just opened a 2 D cell incan with old batteries that has been lying around for a couple of years with no leak.

I think it is partly luck and a numbers game. If you use them fast and change them out you might lead a charmed life like McNair55, but if you leave a few devices around with used batteries for any length of time sooner or later you will have a leak.

Best option is to go NiMh, alternatively removal & storage of batteries after use which is what I try to practice when I remember.

Burgess

Flashaholic
To answer the original poster,
Scottsman 1886 --

If I had to choose a brand of Alkaline battery
which is Least likely to leak . . . . .

I would choose Duracell Quantum Alkalines.

Those seem to be their Top of the line alkalines.

(yes, I realize that's an oxymoron)

Good Luck to you !

Kurt_Woloch

Enlightened
1 x Duracell AA: $0.50, 1 use @ 2200 mAh each = 2,200 mAh, $0.00023 per mAh.
1 x Eneloop AA: $3.25, 1000 uses @ 2000 mAh each = 2,000,000 mAh, $0.0000016 per mAh.

Alkalines are over 14,000 times more expensive than Eneloops.

Sorry, but this must be a mistake. Let's use a bit more realistic numbers so that we don't get as many zeroes behind the comma...

1x Duracell AA: 50 cents, 1 use @ 2.2 Ah each = 2.2 Ah, 23 Cents per Ah
1x Eneloop AA: 325 cents, 1000 uses @ 2 Ah each = 2000 Ah, 0.16 Cents per Ah

That's 140 times as expensive, not 14,000 times. But that's only if you would actually use 900 Alkalines instead. ;-)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I say get a decent LED dropin for the Maglite and then use AA nimh or 1x18650 and spacers and forget the alkalines.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
[h=2]Alkaline brand least likely to leak?[/h]
That's easy. The least likely to leak are the ones you leave at the store selling them.

I've had all of the major brands leak at one time or another. While it's good policy to remove batteries after use, fecal matter happens.

I've had a older Nikon MD-100 motor drive trashed by Duracells. While Duracell will pay for repairs, that doesn't do you any good when parts aren't available. Try finding parts for a camera that was only manufactured in very limited numbers.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you must use alkalines use them on low drain applications and throw them away when their no-load voltage drops below 1.0 V. Alkaline manufacturers don't tout their cells' capacity because alkaline cell's Peukert's law parameters drop precipitously as current drain increases.

Many, but not all, battery powered devices have an automatic shutoff when voltage per cell drops below 1.0 or 1.1 V for this reason.

Maybe 4% of capacity remains when the no-load voltage is 1.0V and leakage becomes a "when" issue rather than an "if" issue when voltage drops to around 0.7 V.

I, personally, would only consider using alkalines in a low usage remote control or in an unregulated LED candle or Lantern where the long, dim output tail is useful and serves as a warning to change batteries.