Solarforce clicky flickering issue

trbofrek

Newly Enlightened
Hi fellow cpfers,

I have tried searching the forums via Google to see if there were any posts relating to the issues I currently have but to no avail. I have noticed on three different solarforce hosts that have forward clicky switches an issue where the light (tried with different drop-ins) flickers in output when depressing the clicky switch slowly. These hosts are relatively unused and I have tried all that I could to remedy the issue by cleaning the threads and either tightening or reassembling the tail cap switch.

I also notice this same issue on my edc foursevens quark, however my quark does have several years of usage and switch activations.

So my question is, is there any way to "clean" the actual clicky switch assembly or fix the issue? Or do I just need to invest in a new clicky switch (generic Chinese one)?

if there is already a post regarding this issue I'd love to see it. Thanks!

Scourie

Enlightened
There's no way of cleaning the switch contacts that I'm aware of. Get a Nitecore NTC1 tailcap as this fits the L2's.

Rob

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed on three different solarforce hosts that have forward clicky switches an issue where the light (tried with different drop-ins) flickers in output when depressing the clicky switch slowly.

Can u check if the flickering still happens after you have released the switch in ON?
Perhaps the flickering is due to the contact being released when u are pressing it slowly..

matt4350

Enlightened
I get a similar problem with a P1 host I bought, and it continues to flicker in low mode, using various drop-ins. This happens whether I turn it on fast/slow/whatever. Goes fine when you bump it up a level. I'll be interested to know how you solve this.

trbofrek

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I didn't clarify that it only happens when the switch is in movement. So when it is clicked onto the constant on position the flickering stops.

I also charged a few batteries (17670s and 18650s) I had and noticed that this problem stops or is very diminished (almost unnoticeable to the eye). I have not tried with primary cells.

Does anyone know why this would be happening? Is it due to the low voltage or something with the current/amp? And is it also affected by the current draw of the led/module? I'm not to electrically savvy to figure this out or really understand circuitry all too well.

Last edited:

texas cop

Enlightened
I've noticed that the switches retaining ring can loosen up after awhile. This will cause some flickering. Try tightening it down to see if issues disappear.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I didn't clarify that it only happens when the switch is in movement. So when it is clicked onto the constant on position the flickering stops.

I also charged a few batteries (17670s and 18650s) I had and noticed that this problem stops or is very diminished (almost unnoticeable to the eye). I have not tried with primary cells.

Does anyone know why this would be happening? Is it due to the low voltage or something with the current/amp? And is it also affected by the current draw of the led/module? I'm not to electrically savvy to figure this out or really understand circuitry all too well.
I see, but like i mention it could be due to the switch internals not having a proper contact when u are half pressing it, hence causing this issue. I just checked with some of my older Solarforce clickies & a few of them have this issue as well. Only 1 works fine..

Just so you know, u can swap out the stock switch for a McClicky switch. It should perform better than the Solarforce ones.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no way of cleaning the switch contacts that I'm aware of. Get a Nitecore NTC1 tailcap as this fits the L2's.

Rob

I've taken a few apart with some prying. You just have to lift/pry two or 4 tabs at the sides of the clicky switch itself.
Forward clickies are more complicated inside than reverse clickies, with more parts.
Cleaning with alcohol is easy once you get in.

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
o-kay,so you made me dig out my solarforce host and i tried two L2T's and two L2's and none have this problem with the switch/clicky/switches !so ether you got some in a bad batch or they just need cleaning like said above!if you salve the problem,please post hear and let us no what happened,best of luck.

ven

Flashaholic
Had it now and then when using a sportac triple, the P1D to name one which can flicker during pressing(forward). I have found it to be contact and to keep with the P1D, i used to have a clip on it. This started to cause a contact issue and on removing it, i could secure the tail cap down more and problem went away.

Maybe try without the clip(if you have one fitted) if it goes then it may just need adjusting inside. Sure cell length plays a part and as the springs get a little tired inside. Protected being longer seems issue free, however i prefer unprotected cells which can be 3 or so mm shorter! Just thoughts :)