thrunite tn12

thebrightone

Newly Enlightened
hi, i have been almost totally convinced to go with the thrunite tn12, as my one really good flashlight. i would like to ask a few question's.

1. i have seen some negative comment's about thrunite quality control ?.

2. i understand the basic concept of cool white vs. neutral white. any comment's ?.

thank you for any help.

legendofzelda

Newly Enlightened
neutral white has better color rendition.

cool white is often a wee bit brighter but it makes everything look ice cold. I personally hate the cool white color.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got TN12 (2016) and TN32. Not many. But these two had not a single issue so far.

Neutral tint is more pleasant to the eye (so people say, I am color blind :)). Cool white gives more contrast image in my eyes.

Scourie

Enlightened
I've got 6 Thrunite's and not had a problem with any. Tint is purely a personal choice, but neutrals will be about 10% less bright. Most people will be hard pressed to spot the difference in brightness.

Rob

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I have the cw tn12 2014 version and i did have a cw 2016 version but i sent it back. It wasnt as bright as the 2014 and the side switch rattled like crazy. I think i just happened to get a bad one though because i havent heard of anyone else having that problem.

If you're shopping for 1inch rear switch with side switch type of light is check out the fenix pd32 2016 version

D6859

Enlightened
I've had TN12 (CW, 2014). 0 problems.

The tint bug bit me and I replaced it with 2016 NW version. I really loved the tint. The tailcap wasn't working at first with every press, but started to work after couple of days of use (and many clicks). Thrunite sent me a new tailcap within 2 days after my contact, but unfortunately I lost the flashlight before I got the tailcap.

I then ordered new piece of NW 2016 version but this one has a little bit different tint (more yellowish / greenish, hard to put my finger on it). I've had 0 problems using it, though.

I do recommend the NW 2016 version. Only problem I have with TN12 is that it doesn't have any kind of thermal warning / protection. Running it on 1000 lm mode is on your own responsibility. I'd recommend using protected battery also.

If you don't own li-ion battery charger and/or your looking for buying just one light (because that's why we all joined here, heh), you might be interested in TC12. It's like TN12 but with internal battery charger and usb port. There's also NW version of it. It might be the next purchase I make this summer.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the TN12 but I have 2 other ThruNite lights and the quality is top notch, not a problem with either of them.

balane

Newly Enlightened
I use a 2016 TN12 several times a week for estate sales, barn hunts, old building content sales, etc. Mine has been dropped, kicked, fallen out of my car when I opened the door, has been soaking wet a few times, etc. Generally not treated with kid gloves and used often in pretty harsh conditions. It still looks pretty good even. But, most importantly, the light has never skipped a beat, is always reliable and I have complete confidence in it. This was my first Thrunite purchase and I'm very impressed with it. Mine is NW and I simply adore the beam and brightness levels. I was in a movie theater recently and all the power went out because of a windstorm. Emergency lighting didn't come up for a while for some reason. People in the theater were happy I had that light on me and so was I.

tops2

Enlightened
This was the first "big/powerful" light I got. I have the TN12 2014 neutral white version. I don't really use it much but the times I have, its very solid. Its my only Thrunite light and everything seems to be good quality to me.

Love:
- Feels solid
- Very bright
- Good size
- Can tailstand (after adjusting the lanyard)

Didn't like:
- I wish the low (20 lumens) is slightly higher (~50 lumens). 20 lm is too low for general use to me, but the next level 280 lm is too high. Otherwise, the 280 lm level is the level I generally use for this light even though its too bright for general use.
- Mine is pretty yellow/green at lower levels to me making the tint "ugly" to me. On higher levels the tint is fine.
- The turbo mode and high level is pretty close to my eyes making it a bit redundant to have these 2 levels. It give just an extra level to cycle through. After getting used to Zebralight's UI, I'm finding cycling through more than 3 modes to be annoying.

That said, its still a nice light. I haven't used it since I got my Zebralight SC5w and in my flashlight journey, I've started to use lower levels more and more so maybe my thoughts with this light may change if I use this for a week... I got this light at a good price and its my longest thrower and most powerful light...for now...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
To me, neutral white just ends up looking considerably dimmer. To the point I might not notice small details in something that is lit up. I find cool white often to be considerably brighter. Sure, it's nice being able to see each individual vein on a flower's leaf.... But not if you miss the tiny poisonous spider sitting still and trying not to be noticed.

troutnut

Newly Enlightened
I have a TN12 2016, I use it daily, had it for 6 months (just before Christmas) and the only problem I had was cheap batteries from Batteries Plus. Once my 18650 3400ma batteries from Thrunite got here, no problems.